New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Is there a way to remove water from a tail light? Somehow, water was able to enter my tail light yesterday after washing my car. There were no cracks on my tail light. I tried using a blow dryer but its having a hard time evaporating the water between the 2 plastic barriers.

Any advise? Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Your tail light probably has a minuscile/microscopic hole or crack that your naked eye can't see. Either that, or your seals have a problem.

If you're not faint-hearted, you can remove the water by drilling a very small hole at the plastic red part where the water is. Let it drain completely. Once it is COMPLETELY DRY, you can reseal the hole using a houlsehould caulking material, but any sealant hat is clear and has silicon in it will seal the hole just fine. I've tried this a couple of times before in the past, on former rides of mine. Worked just fine.

Good luck.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    best is to remove the tail light from the car and just flip it backwards and let it dry under the sun. Using the hair drier may cause the plastic lens to warp.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just remove it.

1. open trunk and unscrew the 3 (or more) plastic thumb screws holding the plastic interior lining from the back. you will see the tail light housing.
    2. unscrew the nuts holding the tail light housing from the car body.
    3. unplug the electrical connectors.
    4. remove tail light.
    5. remove the lamp holders together with the light bulbs. don't touch the bulbs.

now you only have the tail light housing in your hands.

6. wipe dry the outside then fill it with water. WHY??? so you can see if there is any leak, water will seep out of any crack or hole. if you find a leak then you can seal the leak with silicone sealant or glass sealant (after turning upside down and drying it of course.)
    7. look for other possible ways that water can get in. maybe the rubber seals of the lamp holders are torn or damaged. repair/replace as necessary.
    8. install back in reverse order.

Removing water from tail light