New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    ^^^ Slightly OT: May electronic key na ba ang 96 Accord? I own a Gen 5 97 Accord, and it only comes supplied with a remote control key, which can only open the doors when you press a button on the keyhandle. The remote receiver is located on the maplight.

BTT: I like the E46, and dreamed of owning one myself, kahit 2nd hand. But when I learned that Inspection alone would cost at least 15k (inspection only!), I trained my sights na lang on a Jap sedan.
    Galactus, my '96 Accord came w/ a keyless entry key, 1 spare regular key, 1 valet key & 2 car alarm remote. The keyless entry key has a large squarish handle w/ a single button. It only operates the car's locking system only, not the alarm & yes, the receiver is in the maplight. The built-in battery charges when you slot the key when driving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that you bring your bimmer for a well baby check-up every 10k kms, not 10k kms or 6 months w/chever comes first. That will take me about 10 months use or P50.00/day [15K / 300 days] excluding parts.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 17M View Post
    ..Memphis, horsepower, why the 5 series? 3 series not good enough?..
    Here are two of my prospects:

Model 2003

Model 2004

My choice for the 5 series are more personal than technical. It's a great mid-sized executive sedan which means more space/legroom for me since I am over 6 feet. The styling, like the rims as I mentioned, are enough to swoon me hehe especially for the 2004 variant. Available in manual and RWD, it must be a joy to throw around some bends and I can live with its 6 cylinder engine.

I bet that the 3 series is also good but I guess I fell in love with the 530i
    because it's the only one I got to ride in more frequently (belongs to an uncle of mine) and I haven't been lucky enough to ride in any 3 series.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Any German car 1996 - 2000 will rot before your very eyes. Biodegradable plastics. Why 525i? For me, it's just right for a daily driver, good enough power for around 7 km/L fuel consumption + mid-size... size. That's why I drive a 5... Slow ass E34-M20 lang nga.

Hmmm, that explains MB wire harness problems. You're right on the dot, a mid-size is more comfort & safety, plus 7 km/L FC if that's city is better than most 2.0 liter cars.

Actually, your requirements are a little lacking in specifics. For me, that's why I recommended the 5. I just assumed you wanted a daily driver with decent space.

Sorry for my ambivalence, but I'm not very familiar w/ bimmers. My choice will depend on my finances & the available pre-owned models when the time comes. Bottom line is, I want the whole BMW driving & ownership experience. If say a 3 series can deliver that then I've saved some moolah over the 5 series for maintenance.

But it's also true what BB said. Them electronics suck, big time.

Am not really sure about the cause of userfriendly's problems. The BMWs we have did not require replacement of those items until well into their 10th year.

More electronics means more problems as these gadgets ages faster in our hot & humid climate.

I can accept that the problems on Userfriendly's 318 can happen on a few & I mean a few of it's kind. Even at 50K kms it's already 5 years old. What's puzzling is the 2 year old 5 seires w/ 15K on the odo & it's missing 1 liter of oil. If there are no visible leaks around the engine, then, suspect are the valve seals or the turbo if it has one. But that's really premature
    Last edited by 17M; November 15th, 2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Reply embedded in quote portion.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly
    One key is also dead. I was quoted 15,000 plus plus, order basis also. Dead electronic key = it will open the door but engine wont start.
    OT Not to sound condescending, but have you tried doing the programming steps when using new keys (like spares)? IIRC, the ignition will accept up to 4 master keys. So unless all slots have been used, you can still program the car to accept another key.

As for other malfunctions from the remote, there's another set of procedures to re-initialize the remote.

These steps should fix most remote key problems, other than parts failure. I had to bite the price of spare key once but said goodbye to the dealer when they quoted the price for the programming and did it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 17M
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that you bring your bimmer for a well baby check-up every 10k kms, not 10k kms or 6 months w/chever comes first. That will take me about 10 months use or P50.00/day [15K / 300 days] excluding parts.
    The intervals are based on the on-board computer and depends on your driving distance on each trip. Frequent short trips will mean shorter intervals. Some people do an intermediate oil change in-between. In a tropical setting I guess it would help to do more.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Here are two of my prospects:

Model 2003

Model 2004

My choice for the 5 series are more personal than technical. It's a great mid-sized executive sedan which means more space/legroom for me since I am over 6 feet. The styling, like the rims as I mentioned, are enough to swoon me hehe especially for the 2004 variant. Available in manual and RWD, it must be a joy to throw around some bends and I can live with its 6 cylinder engine.

I bet that the 3 series is also good but I guess I fell in love with the 530i
    because it's the only one I got to ride in more frequently (belongs to an uncle of mine) and I haven't been lucky enough to ride in any 3 series.

Memphis, I like the 2003 better. This can become a classic. I find the 2004 very radical for BMW, but it's not bad. I guess it just needs more time to grow on me.

Flagg & all you guys, my reply is embedded in the quote - sorry

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    What's puzzling is the 2 year old 5 seires w/ 15K on the odo & it's missing 1 liter of oil. If there are no visible leaks around the engine, then, suspect are the valve seals or the turbo if it has one. But that's really premature
    Dealers say it's normal. It's also printed on the user's manual. The amount depends on the driving style and conditions.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Memphis, I like the 2003 better. This can become a classic. I find the 2004 very radical for BMW, but it's not bad. I guess it just needs more time to grow on me.
    Indeed the '04 has always been, well, controversial which all started with those headlights. The '03 will definitely be a keeper aside from the fact that it may come out cheaper than the '04 because to some it looks dated. I wonder if the '03 has that headlight feature that enables it to "look around corners" whatever that feature is called.
    _ _ _ _ _
    edit: my earlier post indicated "531i" when I actually meant "530i", my bad. Can't edit it na.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    The intervals are based on the on-board computer and depends on your driving distance on each trip. Frequent short trips will mean shorter intervals. Some people do an intermediate oil change in-between. In a tropical setting I guess it would help to do more.[/quote]

StraightSix, then my figures are off. I only do 25-30 kms/day from home to office in makati & nearby places. We use the van on weekends & out of town trips.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I like the 2004+ (E60) BMWs because of the out-of-the-box design. It's radical and free of social pressure on what an exec sedan should be. I don't like the 7-series because it's design is kinda off (or i just don't get it). 3-series (esp the diesels) is good but 5-series is a big car.

The technical stuff i like about it is the engine (I'm interested with the diesels than the petrols though) because of the tremendous torque you can use in overtaking and high speed runs.
    Last edited by Horsepower; November 16th, 2007 at 02:06 AM.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Bimmer owners - I might gift myself with a certified pre-owned BMW sometime next year for the driving experience & the joy of owning one. What 3 or 5 series do you recommend? Reliability is a priority as I have the habit of keeping a car for more than 5 years. Thanks.
    5 (540, 545), 6, 7 series are the true BMW. The rest of the lesser bimmer are made in whatever country. So make sure that 5 series start w/ 540(older model) 545 (newer model) if is not, think hard of your buck. Like they said, your paying for an ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE and what youve got is not an ULTIMATE at all. GO HONDA.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
What Model BMW?