New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it may be useful to post your budget. i may be tempted to suggest the E39 M5, but i'm not sure if you'd be willing to spend that kind of dough ;)

anyway, the e46 3-series has a classic, timeless design and great performance. i know i'm biased, but i'm very happy with my purchase. it has been very reliable, but the cost of ownership has been very high. if you will have a problem with high maintenance costs and expensive parts, DO NOT buy a BMW.

too many people buy these cars and not expect to ever have to fix or replace anything...or get upset at the cost of the parts. that's the price of owning these cars, and it is up to you to decide whether the pleasure of owning one is worth the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    5 (540, 545), 6, 7 series are the true BMW. The rest of the lesser bimmer are made in whatever country. So make sure that 5 series start w/ 540(older model) 545 (newer model) if is not, think hard of your buck. Like they said, your paying for an ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE and what youve got is not an ULTIMATE at all. GO HONDA.
    not true at all. yes, some BMW's are made in South African factories, and X-series are made in the US. but most of the 3 series and 5 series are made in German factories in Dingolfing, Leipzig, Munich and Regensburg (my car's birthplace). plus, i've never seen any study anywhere that BMW's made in different countries have different levels of quality...maybe you could enlighten us?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    [quote=empy;957639]it may be useful to post your budget. i may be tempted to suggest the E39 M5, but i'm not sure if you'd be willing to spend that kind of dough ;)

anyway, the e46 3-series has a classic, timeless design and great performance. i know i'm biased, but i'm very happy with my purchase. it has been very reliable, but the cost of ownership has been very high. if you will have a problem with high maintenance costs and expensive parts, DO NOT buy a BMW.

too many people buy these cars and not expect to ever have to fix or replace anything...or get upset at the cost of the parts. that's the price of owning these cars, and it is up to you to decide whether the pleasure of owning one is worth the expense.

Empy, My budget is for the a 3 or 5 series [w/out the 'M']. If one of the 3 series can give me the driving experience & feel of a bimmer then that's what I'll buy. But I'll get a 5 if that's what it takes. I like driving & I'm alone in the car most of the time. The driver is with the wife & kids all the time.

I can go for either diesel or gas as I have both vehicles now.

I understand that owning a bimmer will entail higher PMS & spare parts cost. Well baby check-up is about P12k every 10k & P25k every 20k [Pls correct me if I'm wrong]. What I can't accept are bimmers that will turn out to be service intensive, problematic & prone to premature parts failure. I don't what to buy a headache. I want to enjoy the ownership & I want to keep it for a long time.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    [quote=empy;957639]it may be useful to post your budget. i may be tempted to suggest the E39 M5, but i'm not sure if you'd be willing to spend that kind of dough ;)

Empy, My budget is for either a 3 or 5 series [w/out the 'M']. If a 3 series can give me the driving experience & feel of owning a bimmer then I guess that's it. But I'll get a 5 if that's what it takes. I like driving & I'm alone in the car more often than not. The driver is with the wife & kids all the time.

I can go for either diesel or gas as I have both vehicles now.

I understand that owning a bimmer will entail higher PMS & spare parts cost. Well baby check-up is about P12k every 10k & P25k every 20k [Pls correct me if I'm wrong]. What I can't accept the bimmer I'll end up with turn out to be service intensive & problematic. I want to enjoy the ownership & keep it for a long time.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    OT Not to sound condescending, but have you tried doing the programming steps when using new keys (like spares)? IIRC, the ignition will accept up to 4 master keys. So unless all slots have been used, you can still program the car to accept another key.

As for other malfunctions from the remote, there's another set of procedures to re-initialize the remote.
    where can i find the reprograming/re-initialize steps?

17M,

Good luck on your purchase. The car's computer will tell you when it needs servicing. If you don't drive a lot, have it serviced at least once a year.

You do, A) oil service B) inspection 1 C) inspection 2 then back to oil service. Ball park figure for oil service is 6,000 pesos. Inspection 1 is around 14,000 pesos.

Word of caution on some BMW service centers:

BMW Autohaus in Libis is a STEALERSHIP! When my dads 318 leaked oil, we brought it there. The service adviser quoted 32,000 ++ He claimed that the oil pan gasket, crankshaft seal, transmission gasket, valve cover gasket, and some other gaskets and seals need replacement. I explained to him that its not possible cause those seals and gaskets are in different parts of the engine. What he wanted was almost a complete overhaul. He insisted that thats the proper procedure. After arguing for a few minutes, he admited that its just the oil pan gasket thats leaking. I pulled out the car. Went to BASICS a few meters away and had it fixed for less than 8,000.

BASICS is not as bad as Autohaus. After my inital good experience, I bought the same car for a brake warning light on the dash. They said they need to replace the brake pads, sensors and rotors. I knew that the rotors are good. Asked them to just do the pads and sensors. They declined, claimed that the rotors are shot.

Good thing about Basic, their parts are not as expensive as Autohaus.

Brought the car to Speedyfix for a 2nd opinon. Turned out I was right. Rotors are good. Got Speedy to change the pads, sensors, clear the dash idot light plus do an oil service.

I wonder if the service advisers from Autohaus and Basics came from Rapide

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    It's in the Owner's Handbook (re: Keys). But I just browsed the online handbook for the US version and can't find the same info. It seems that the user-programming feature of the Euro E46's immobilizer isn't on the ECU of the US E46. From the wiring diagram I know that the ECU's are different ... I just didn't expect this bit. Let's just hope the function is there.

From the E46 Owner's Handbook:
    Whenever you have been handed a replacement key, insert it into the ignition lock and turn it once to position 2 (ignition switched on), then back to the home position, so that the electronic immobilizer "accepts" the new key.
    As for re-initializing the 3-button remote (BMW logo/button in the middle); from the E46 Service Manual:
    1. Open the centrol locking system (ZV) using the key.
    2. Get into the car and close all doors.
    3. Using the car key, switch the ignition lock briefly to ignition position 1 and then switch off again. The switching time must remain under 5 seconds, otherwise the system is not ready for initialization.
    4. At the radio transmitter: Press button 2 and hold in.
    5. Press button 1 three times (in a space of 10 seconds). Button 2 must remain held in.
    6. Release button 2.
    7. The ZV signals by means of "Locking" and immediate "Unlocking" that a radio transmitter has been successfully initialized.
    Note on remote buttons:
    Button 1 - Arm/Door lock
    Button 2 - Disarm/Door unlock
    Button 3 - Unlock luggage compartment

---

Good job there by Speedyfix ... maasahan talaga.
    Last edited by StraightSix; November 17th, 2007 at 05:38 AM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post

17M,

Good luck on your purchase. The car's computer will tell you when it needs servicing. If you don't drive a lot, have it serviced at least once a year.

You do, A) oil service B) inspection 1 C) inspection 2 then back to oil service. Ball park figure for oil service is 6,000 pesos. Inspection 1 is around 14,000 pesos.

BMW Autohaus in Libis is a STEALERSHIP! When my dads 318 leaked oil, we brought it there. The service adviser quoted 32,000 ++ He claimed that the oil pan gasket, crankshaft seal, transmission gasket, valve cover gasket, and some other gaskets and seals need replacement. I explained to him that its not possible cause those seals and gaskets are in different parts of the engine. What he wanted was almost a complete overhaul. He insisted that thats the proper procedure. After arguing for a few minutes, he admited that its just the oil pan gasket thats leaking. I pulled out the car. Went to BASICS a few meters away and had it fixed for less than 8,000.

BASICS is not as bad as Autohaus. After my inital good experience, I bought the same car for a brake warning light on the dash. They said they need to replace the brake pads, sensors and rotors. I knew that the rotors are good. Asked them to just do the pads and sensors. They declined, claimed that the rotors are shot.

Brought the car to Speedyfix for a 2nd opinon. Turned out I was right. Rotors are good. Got Speedy to change the pads, sensors, clear the dash idot light plus do an oil service.

I wonder if the service advisers from Autohaus and Basics came from Rapide
    Hay naku..... sinabi mo pa... I have experienced the same thing with Autohaus back when it was known as Prestige cars Libis. I brought my car (316i E36) for the usual inspection service, then when the service was done the SA called me up informing me that the car is ready for pick up but mentioned that there was a whining noise on my alternator. So I asked him what his recommendation is, so he told me that the bearings in the alternator are on their way out hence the whining noise and that there would be no other option for me but to replace my alternator which costs roughly 40-45,000 at that time. Then I told the SA that I know for a fact that you can open up the alternator and replace the bearing only, then he insisted that BMW alternators are "sealed type" that once you open it up it cannot be put back together so the guy WAS really insisting that the alternator be replaced. Smelling something fishy, I pulled the car out of Autohaus then brought it to the place where we have our Benzes fixed (Manhattan Motors in Pasig) and have them inspect it and upon seeing it, the mechanic immediately said we only need to change the bearings and that it can be done in about 2-3 hours. So when it was opened up there were 2 bearings and 1 was on the way out but they advised me to change both bearings since we were already at it and that the cost would be negligible. When everything was done, I spent a total of 900 pesos, 600 for the bearings and 300 for labor. Did I really need to replace the alternator??? Go figure.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    it may be useful to post your budget. i may be tempted to suggest the E39 M5, but i'm not sure if you'd be willing to spend that kind of dough ;)

not true at all. yes, some BMW's are made in South African factories, and X-series are made in the US. but most of the 3 series and 5 series are made in German factories in Dingolfing, Leipzig, Munich and Regensburg (my car's birthplace). plus, i've never seen any study anywhere that BMW's made in different countries have different levels of quality...maybe you could enlighten us?
    BMW manufacturing plant outside GERMANY

1. STEYR plant in Graz Austria- BMW X3 also manufactured 4 & 6 cylinder diesel engine and 6 cylinder petrol.

2. SHENYANG plant China- manufactured 3 series and 5 series BMW.

3. ROSSLYN plant South Africa- manufactured 3 series BMW.

4. SURINDON plant England- manufactured 3 series BMW.

5. SPARTANBURG plant South Carolina U.S.A- manufactured BMW X5 and Z4 roadster.

BMW manufacturing for parts, kit w/ component:
    1. Thailand
    2. Philippines
    3. Mexico
    4. Vietnam
    5. Egypt
    6. Russia

BMW engine component. Engine plant as follow.
    1. Austria
    2. England
    3. Brazil

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the 3-series will give you the "driving feel" of owning a bimmer. just don't get an underpowered version (like the 318i or lower). the higher engine variants (like the 330 gas or diesel) actually feel quicker than most 5 series because of the lighter weight.

the 5-series is really more appropriate if you need more room and a bit more luxurious feel. imo it's really a matter of preference and budget. i was debating between a 330 and a 530/540, but felt that i preferred the quicker, more nimble feel of the 3, even though it had more road noise and was "cheaper".

Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    BMW manufacturing plant outside GERMANY

1. STEYR plant in Graz Austria- BMW X3 also manufactured 4 & 6 cylinder diesel engine and 6 cylinder petrol.

2. SHENYANG plant China- manufactured 3 series and 5 series BMW.

3. ROSSLYN plant South Africa- manufactured 3 series BMW.

4. SURINDON plant England- manufactured 3 series BMW.

5. SPARTANBURG plant South Carolina U.S.A- manufactured BMW X5 and Z4 roadster.

BMW manufacturing for parts, kit w/ component:
    1. Thailand
    2. Philippines
    3. Mexico
    4. Vietnam
    5. Egypt
    6. Russia

BMW engine component. Engine plant as follow.
    1. Austria
    2. England
    3. Brazil
    i know that some BMW's are made or assembled outside Germany. but that's not what you said. you said ALL BMW's under 540i are made in "whatever country". that's absolutely false. if you go back to the source you googled, you'll know that quite a few 3'ers are made in either Regensburg, Leipzig or Munich.

anyway, the real point of your post was that BMW's made outside Germany are somehow worse. what makes you say that?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Get a BMW diesel. Best bet i sthe 530d or 520d. You could also go for the e90 320d.
    In a few years time the savings you get from the fuel consumption would offset the price of any repairs made on a second hand BMW. pre owned BMW has a good warranty. Bought a e46 several years ago and the warranty is helpful in reducing the cost of repairs.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    17M,

I wonder if the service advisers from Autohaus and Basics came from Rapide [/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Userfriendly; Thanks for the heads up on those "Stealerships". Did I understand you correctly - there are reliable "Non-Casa" shops out there for BMW parts & service?

Haha...had same experience w/ Rapide. Unusual sound front suspension of my van & Rapide wants to change everything including front shocks for 30k++. Went elsewhere for 2nd opinion. Turned out to be the stabilizer link & paid about 2K, tsk tsk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
What Model BMW?