New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Bimmer owners - I might gift myself with a certified pre-owned BMW sometime next year for the driving experience & the joy of owning one. What 3 or 5 series do you recommend? Reliability is a priority as I have the habit of keeping a car for more than 5 years. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sorry for sounding negative, but in my experience BMWs are worthless piece of s**t. They are very expensive to maintain. Parts are freaking overpriced and sometimes they have to be on order basis.

My father has 2 BMs a 2002 model 318 and a 5 series. The 318 has less than 50,000 kms. I already replaced the oil pan gasket. one power window is broken. Did not fix it since we dont normally open it and the part is 8,000 pesos plus labor and vat. The coolant reservior tank blew a few weeks ago. Again per order basis. One key is also dead. I was quoted 15,000 plus plus, order basis also. Dead electronic key = it will open the door but engine wont start.

The 5 series is about 2 years old. Hardly used. Around 15,000 kms only. So far the only prob I encountered was the oil pressure idiot light lit up. Checked the oil and it was low by 1 liter. Dont understand since its full synthetic oil and its a freaking brand new engine. Refilled oil and so far so good.

This is my experience hopefully there are satisfied owners.
    Last edited by userfriendly; November 15th, 2007 at 12:12 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Tsk, tsk, even my '96 Accord w/c I bought brand new & has raked 90K+ on the odometer did not experience those problems. The oil pan gasket is due for replacement next oil change, it's first, as it's showing traces of motor oil. Have had no problems with the power windows, keyless entry key or coolant reservoir - all still original. I also use fully synthetic & it has not evaporated on me or does it over a longer period of time.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    as with newer bmws, more electrical gadgets will mean more problems in the future.

buti nalang my E36 only has the basic electronics..

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ang crush ko ngayon is the 531i sedan :2hearts:. Meron kasing mga certified pre-owned available nito. I love those rims and that prestigious look.

Sometimes brand is more important than new

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    A 5-series diesel...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Our BMWs aren't as problematic as userfriendly's.

I'd suggest a 2001 up 525i.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions & comments guys Flagg, any reason why the 2001 up 525i in particular? Memphis, horsepower, why the 5 series? 3 series not good enough? Certified pre-owned 3 series are bang for the buck IMHO. 2004 up 5 series is still pricey, need to wait a couple more years. BlueBimmer, Userfriendly's problems are not electronic except for the car key. That type of key is really expensive. For the '96 accord it will set you back 8.0K according to my Honda SA when he noticed a crack in the handle. I promptly applied black epoxy on the cracks.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    ^^^ Slightly OT: May electronic key na ba ang 96 Accord? I own a Gen 5 97 Accord, and it only comes supplied with a remote control key, which can only open the doors when you press a button on the keyhandle. The remote receiver is located on the maplight.

BTT: I like the E46, and dreamed of owning one myself, kahit 2nd hand. But when I learned that Inspection alone would cost at least 15k (inspection only!), I trained my sights na lang on a Jap sedan.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 17M View Post
    ... Flagg, any reason why the 2001 up 525i in particular?
    Any German car 1996 - 2000 will rot before your very eyes. Biodegradable plastics. Why 525i? For me, it's just right for a daily driver, good enough power for around 7 km/L fuel consumption + mid-size... size. That's why I drive a 5... Slow ass E34-M20 lang nga.

... Memphis, horsepower, why the 5 series? 3 series not good enough? Certified pre-owned 3 series are bang for the buck IMHO. 2004 up 5 series is still pricey, need to wait a couple more years.
    Actually, your requirements are a little lacking in specifics. For me, that's why I recommended the 5. I just assumed you wanted a daily driver with decent space.

... BlueBimmer, Userfriendly's problems are not electronic except for the car key. That type of key is really expensive. For the '96 accord it will set you back 8.0K according to my Honda SA when he noticed a crack in the handle. I promptly applied black epoxy on the cracks.
    But it's also true what BB said. Them electronics suck, big time.

Am not really sure about the cause of userfriendly's problems. The BMWs we have did not require replacement of those items until well into their 10th year.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
What Model BMW?