New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I'd rather have the horrid A/T on the Crosswind replaced by a modern unit. The 4JA1 makes decent power for its purpose, comparable to the 4D56, which is also a decent engine. But that power just bleeds off in the terribly designed transmission. The M/T is waaaaaayyy better. If Isuzu went this direction, they could cash in on the increased performance, while retaining the 4JA1's notoriety for reliability. If they won't do so, I can't blame Isuzu for the customers who still buy it.

It sucks that none of the 3 Crosswinds that we've had were manuals. BTW, the average fuel economy for those Crosswinds was about 11-14km/L with my dad's lead foot. Top speed for XTRM w/o passengers was 130km/h; 140km/h for the late-model XUVi.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    A Crosswind is a horrible, horrible vehicle. It's also mechanically very simple. With proper maintenance, it'll hit 300k kms with no issues. With improper maintenance, it'll still hit 150-200k with no issues. No timing belt/chain. No problem. Flood it. No problem. Feed it dirty diesel from the sari-sari store. No problem. Feed it used cooking oil. No problem. Feed it dirty bunker oil... well... it'll run for a few kilometers before the pump and filter clog... ...and the economy is jaw-dropping for a heavy car with a diesel. .
    Natawa ako dito pero this exactly why we still bought an isuzu with 4ja1... proven Toughness and Longevity. Now I want to see crdi with 4ja1 reliability. If anyone can do it, its isuzu.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    as i have mentioned before. there is an isuzu 2.5 CRDi available in thailand that is fitted to the Dmax pickup over there.. its only a matter of isuzu bringing it over and installing it in the Crosswind.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Rather than seeing a CRDi Crosswind, I'd rather see one with a modern crash structure and more stable suspension (based on the D-Max) with electronic injection control, but no CRDi, much like the Starex TCI. In fact... the base D-Max actually has a 4JA1T... surprisingly... instead of the 4JB1T. Since the new IPV is D-Max based, hopefully the Crosswind replacement will be, too.
    Very well said sir niky! I definitely agree with you, I want to see those CRDi engines reliability compared to 4JA1. But Isuzu REALLY has to make the crosswind more modern in terms of it's safety and better ride.

If they would be installing the 2.5 CRDi of Isuzu to crosswind like what sir cocoy said, is it still reliable and dirty fuel proof like the current 4JA1? If it is, then it would be great.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    this is most likely OT... but is thailands diesel really cleaner than ours? almost all the models of their pick ups are CRDi over there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
TD27 vs 4JA1