New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Ill get the space gear

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I've owned and driven both Starex and Spacegear. Earlier models pa.

When I bought a new van last year, Starex pa rin ang binili ko, even though its front is not that attractive, you know. It's just that CRDi wasn't available at that time, else I should have bought that variant.
    It's not Korean vs. Japanese vehicles. Hyundai has really improved a lot and is getting worldwide attention. Just my personal experience and opinion.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m
    Why starex have fire extinguisher from the factory?
    Because it's required in Korea, AFAIK.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    ya get a starex, had mind for 3 years now, still in perfect condition.and not to mention, its been to mindanao and back twice.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Starex for Me!!! Driven both.. Ride both.. just maintain it properly..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m
    Why starex have fire extinguisher from the factory?
    Because Korean law requires it to have one. It is classifed as a commercial vehicle there.

Horsepower,
    ANZEN, First Alert, and OBX sell small fire extinguishers. ANZEN and FA are available from ACE. OBX is sold by Blade.

I have a First Alert mounted on my rig.

Here's the OBX:

ANZEN is a local brand (you can imagine how local units look. hehehe).

BTTT:

Starex for me. The Space Gear is too austere for the price. Makes less power too due to being non-intercooled. Turbocharged only.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    afaik both the starex and spacegear (at least in the earlier versions) share the same platform and engine.. the 98 up starex uses mitsubishi's 4d56 engine albeit in a more refined package, even their side mirrors are the same. This is maybe due to mitsubishi having a stake in hyundai (like ford/mazda, daewoo/GM etc). The starex being a larger version than the spacegear can be underpowered sometimes. We had two incidents of rocker arms bent in our 98 starex. But still i'd pick it over the spacegear simply by it having an auto transmission option which sadly the spacegear does not. Just my 2 cents

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Early Starex models could be had in normally aspirated and turbo only engines. The Millenium series onwards had a turbo intercooled motor.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks sir Otep. i'll look for those :-)

ganda ng OBX ah :D

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    tnx for the infos...

actually, my first choice was the starex since then, especially when the "millenium" models came out in '01, well, I still have to check the unit's condition. it has a milage of 85k for its age with superb airconditioning and still wears it's original finish... being a '01 model for 450k. My only concern is some one told me that starex's are prone to rusting, is it true?

For me the local spacegear still lacks something in comparison to the starex, the body is narrow, column shift, narrow 14 inch tires and leaf springs in the rear, but im just reconsidering it because of it's lower price tag.

We also happened to own a '96 Hyundai H100 a couple of years ago, even since then, they equipt it with a small fire extinguisher in the front corner of the second row seat. for me, it is still necessary to have one especially you dont know when accidents will occur, it's just being always prepared.

And I guess Hyundai Motors should recieve credit for that...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
local spacegear or starex???