New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    yes, the thoughtful features in their car will make you ask why other manufacturers didn't think of the same.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    i've seen a lot of starex units that are prone to rusting. lalo na the early ones, mabilis nagkalawang.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    never tried Starex but I think it has more styling compared to a SpaceGear. Starex na lang, alagaan mo nalang ng mabuti...

as for bratski's thoughts about Spacegear being underpowered sometimes. in my experience in 4D56 and 4M40 turbo spacegears. I never had any problems with power. the engines are good enough for spacegears. it's not bad as Pajeros with 4d56 or 4m40 TD's. fewtimes, the cause of thinking of being underpowered is because some vehicles have loosen throttle cables...

moncouque frame ang spacegear, pajero ata is not....kaya masmagaan ng konti ang spacegear compared sa pajero...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    They put the fire extinguisher because they know that their engine is subpar and may cause overheating and may lead to engine fire.Btw my friend had millenium edition.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy
    moncouque frame ang spacegear, pajero ata is not....kaya masmagaan ng konti ang spacegear compared sa pajero...
    true. body-on-ladder frame ang 2nd gen pajero eh. 3rd gen yung monocoque.

kaya, parang underpowered na sa 2nd gen paje ang 4m40/4d56t, e sa delica starwagon ko noon or sa magiging (sana) spacegear ko in the future, parang adequate / sobra...

pero sa jap specs, iba nag HP rating for 4m40 installed sa spacegear sa 4m40 ng pajero..masmalakas ang 4m40 ng pajero: 120(spacegear) vs. 140(paje)

i think ginagamit dito ung 120hp spec, kaya parang hirap.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m View Post
    They put the fire extinguisher because they know that their engine is subpar and may cause overheating and may lead to engine fire.Btw my friend had millenium edition.
    Strange thing though... that's exactly the same engine platform (4D56) as in the Space Gear, Pajero, L300, L200, Hyundai Grace and i don't see any of these cars burning up on the road. I also don't know of any or see any connection between engine overheating leading to engine fires... Please get your facts straight dude. If i'm wrong then do correct me constructively.

I've experienced overheating on a Starex once under the following condition:
    - Full load (8 pax + luggage)
    - midday May summer heat (no wind whatsoever)
    - steep 4-5km mountain road climb
    - hard driving with the a/c off (i kept the a/t on 1st and drove at near redline all the way up and turned off the a/c compressor as a matter of habit when i drive the car hard)
    The temp went up to well over half so i pulled over.. when i assessed the situation, i found out the aux fans only work with the a/c compressor functioning so the low speed climb and high RPMs heated up the engine and tranny oil... upon turning on the a/c and aux fans the temp went down and we went on with no other problem.

The 1997-1998 models had rust in the fenders as a common problem due to the foam insulation they had inside it if i recall it correctly... this has been cured on the latter models as well.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As I've posted before, SK laws require a fire extinguisher in the class of vehicles the Starex is in. Some manufacturers (e.g. Kia, Ssangyong), however, do not include them in markets where no such legislation exists.

Hmmm...so Euro Benzes are prone to fires also since they have fire equipment as standard?

A First Aid Kit is standard on Benzes, too. Maybe the owners are prone to injuring themselves while driving their Benzes?

There is also sa spare tire along with a jack, tools and EWD. German cars with subpar tires prone to flats?

My rig has fire equipment, medical equipment, recovery gear, etc. Holy crap, I'm the master of disaster!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    They put the fire extinguisher because they know that their engine is subpar...
    Eh? For all you know, it could just be an isolated incident. Baka inaalat lang yung friend mo.

How can you single out the Starex engine as being 'subpar', based on a single incident? Unless idol mo si Gene Orejana...

...and may cause overheating and may lead to engine fire.
    You said it yourself, the operative word is "may". Meaning, the risk is there, but it's not an absolute certainty, kaya huwag mag-conclude agad na bulok yung makina. Besides, all internal combustion engines have the potential to overheat given the right conditions. Kaya nga meron tayong tinatawag na "radiator" at "coolant" eh.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 8th, 2006 at 08:11 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
local spacegear or starex???