New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Would I really need to go faster than 130kmph in a Fortuner? Would it be safe?

No...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Fuel efficiency- Diesel naturally, especially in long trips. But in City driving, its not such a big difference in my opinion.
    Smoothness- Gas engine. The diesel is smooth and refined, but the Gas wins this one.
    Maintenance costs- Gas engine.
    Power- Gas engine. I've seen 2.7L Fortuners sticking close to the tail of hard driven 3.0V Fortuners and 3.2L Montero Sport. The 2.5 Diesel is decently strong in the low rpm range, but I found it breathless in the 3000+ rpm. Not sure if its lack of intercooler is the reason for this.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Let me add this by the way, the 2.5L diesel actually feels more powerful than what the 102hp 260nm of torque may suggests. If you do most of your driving in the city and seldom feels the need to go over 120km/h in the highways, you should be satisfied with its performance.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I have a Navara that has power at high speeds and a Fort 2.5 D4d that has low speed power. I enjoy driving the Fortuner in the city and the Navara on highways. But if I had to choose only one of them I would prefer the Fortuners engine because it accelerates smoother than the Navara's engine. I do not go over 100kph that much nowadays. The 2.5 engine does it job fairly well. The 102hp rating should not turn you off. Go for diesel.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wei View Post
    Fuel efficiency- Diesel naturally, especially in long trips. But in City driving, its not such a big difference in my opinion.
    Smoothness- Gas engine. The diesel is smooth and refined, but the Gas wins this one.
    Maintenance costs- Gas engine.
    Power- Gas engine. I've seen 2.7L Fortuners sticking close to the tail of hard driven 3.0V Fortuners and 3.2L Montero Sport. The 2.5 Diesel is decently strong in the low rpm range, but I found it breathless in the 3000+ rpm. Not sure if its lack of intercooler is the reason for this.
    This is true, same case with my then 2005 Innova. At over 100kph, you feel that the car has very little to give and you find yourself looking for another gear just to compensate with the lack of high speed/high rev power. But I find myself getting another 2.5 D4d engine powered vehicle 7 years later. LOL

The 2.7L VVT-i due to its torque band is not so suitable for such a heavy vehicle like the Fortuner. Torque ends up being a more important matter than horsepower. No wonder a 300hp sportscar engine can't perform heavy duties in a truck fitted with a 200hp turbodiesel

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Ngayon lang ako nag online sa Tsikot. Ask ko lang, yun Isuzu Alterra rival din ng Fortuner at Montero Sport? Ok din ba performance nito?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drich_enriquez View Post
    Ngayon lang ako nag online sa Tsikot. Ask ko lang, yun Isuzu Alterra rival din ng Fortuner at Montero Sport? Ok din ba performance nito?
    Sir I suggest you make a new thread for your inquiry para hindi ma offend ang TS for hijacking his thread (no offense intended po).

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    The exact brain-storming stage I am now....2.7 VVTi or 2.5 D4D. Will wait till the "REAL All-New Toyota Fortuner" comes out.

Considering that I do not change cars every 5years or so, if ever I do get the Fortuner I will keep it 10years onwards. I have already read some articles on the internet and here at tsikot regarding comparisons between Petrol and Diesel powered vehicles.

http://tsikot.com/forums/engine-fuel...rs-last-57185/
    Diesel Cars vs. Standard Gasoline Vehicles: A Comparison Guide - CarsDirect

Indeed the Diesel fuel is cheaper by Php10 as of now, more power and torque, better mileage, turbo powered. But what scares me is the uncontrollable factors like, the sad reality that Diesel fuel and our gas stations are not strict in quality standards. So you end up maintaining your Diesel powered car with extra-extra attention...."mas maselan alagaan ang Diesel, especially CRDI technology is used already....for me ah". Kung baga no choice ka sa gas station when you go out of town. There palang kakabahan ka na sa papasok na Diesel sa fuel tank mo.

Sa daily office route ko na 34kms per day drive kunyari the Petrol SUV consumes 7km/liter = 4.85 liters per day x Php51 = Php247.35 gas per day....as compared to Diesel consumes 8km/liter = 4.25 liters x Php41 = Php174.25. So there is Php73.10 diff sa cost per day x 20 working days = Php1,462 more gas cost per month x 12months in a year = Php17,544 extra gas cost in a year.

I take the Skyway to and from the office naman daily, I run 80kph lang ag 2k RPM lang. And 100kph for a NLEX/SLEX road trips...120kph on certain bursts lang. I can say for myself that I am a light-footed A/T driver.

I can suck-up the Php17,544 per year added office fuel cost, in exchange for the kaba and takot for the uncontrollable factors mentioned if I run a Diesel car.

This is my amateur and humble opinion as of now. With that said I'm inclining now for a 2.7 VVTi Fortuner.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KinKyHOOTER View Post
    The exact brain-storming stage I am now....2.7 VVTi or 2.5 D4D. Will wait till the "REAL All-New Toyota Fortuner" comes out.

Considering that I do not change cars every 5years or so, if ever I do get the Fortuner I will keep it 10years onwards. I have already read some articles on the internet and here at tsikot regarding comparisons between Petrol and Diesel powered vehicles.

http://tsikot.com/forums/engine-fuel...rs-last-57185/
    Diesel Cars vs. Standard Gasoline Vehicles: A Comparison Guide - CarsDirect

Indeed the Diesel fuel is cheaper by Php10 as of now, more power and torque, better mileage, turbo powered. But what scares me is the uncontrollable factors like, the sad reality that Diesel fuel and our gas stations are not strict in quality standards. So you end up maintaining your Diesel powered car with extra-extra attention...."mas maselan alagaan ang Diesel, especially CRDI technology is used already....for me ah". Kung baga no choice ka sa gas station when you go out of town. There palang kakabahan ka na sa papasok na Diesel sa fuel tank mo.

Sa daily office route ko na 34kms per day drive kunyari the Petrol SUV consumes 7km/liter = 4.85 liters per day x Php51 = Php247.35 gas per day....as compared to Diesel consumes 8km/liter = 4.25 liters x Php41 = Php174.25. So there is Php73.10 diff sa cost per day x 20 working days = Php1,462 more gas cost per month x 12months in a year = Php17,544 extra gas cost in a year.

I take the Skyway to and from the office naman daily, I run 80kph lang ag 2k RPM lang. And 100kph for a NLEX/SLEX road trips...120kph on certain bursts lang. I can say for myself that I am a light-footed A/T driver.

I can suck-up the Php17,544 per year added office fuel cost, in exchange for the kaba and takot for the uncontrollable factors mentioned if I run a Diesel car.

This is my amateur and humble opinion as of now. With that said I'm inclining now for a 2.7 VVTi Fortuner.
    Don't forget a 4x2 D-4D A/T costs Php 60,000 more in purchase price over a 4x2 VVT-i gas A/T.

Service and maintenance costs a bit more for diesel as well.

How much mileage to do cover in a year ?
    Last edited by number001; August 6th, 2012 at 06:32 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
FORTUNER (4x2) 2.5 A/T Diesel or 2.7 A/T Gas?