New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hi all, i've made up my mind to change my ride soon to the 2012 Fortuner 'coz i like the facelift.. Kindly help me decide whether i get the 2.5 A/T DIESEL or 2.7 A/T GAS.. i'm considering fuel consumption, smoothness of ride, engine (performance) power, future maintenance and other factors.. KINDLY help me decide..thank you very much

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    1. Fuel Consumption - Diesel
    2. Smoothness of the Ride - Gas
    3. Engine power - Diesel I guess, but the gas is no slouch
    4. Future maintenance - Gas

Other factors:
    1. Resale value - Diesel

By far, gas users are in the minority.

I suggest you do a test drive first to see if the Fort is really for you. Mahirap yung bibili ng bago dahil sa looks lang.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I'd be hard pressed to recommend a gas engine over a diesel engine nowadays. Most owners would go for the diesel due to it's huge torque in the low-RPM ranges.. especially important if you're doing the majority of your drive in the city.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd get the diesel. A family friend has one and he shares that the 2.5D4D is adequately powerful for most drivers. Gas mileage is at around 8.5-9km/L city. The Fortuner's ride quality is, I believe, pretty much the same throughout the range and it has improved a lot since the 1st generation though it is still a bit bumpy. Though it is rather underpowered as SUVs of today go, it has a lot of tuning potential should you crave for more performance.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    di ba 3.0 D4D ang fortuner?? yung 2.5 sa innova yun... common rail diesel engines accelerate almost the same as a gasoline engine...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    di ba 3.0 D4D ang fortuner?? yung 2.5 sa innova yun... common rail diesel engines accelerate almost the same as a gasoline engine...
    May variant din na 3.0 diesel ang fortuner as well as the 2.5. Yes, innovas also have the same engine, as well as the whole hiace family

*topic: If i were you, i'd get the diesel version. Lakas humatak ng D4D at low torque. I'd bet mas feel mo yan dahil mas kokonti magiging passengers ng Fort compared sa Hiace Commuter ko.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Since you are considering smoothness, power, and power maintenance, 2.7G VVTi is the right variant for you... yup its quite guzzler (mine is 7.5kpl mixed city hiway) but if you'll do some arithmetic , the price difference between them plus the higher cost of maintenance of diesel engine against gas you can be able to payback in 5 to 8 years depending on your usage

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    If you plan to keep it for more than 5 years, go for gas. Anything less than 5 years, its ok to go with the diesel.

If you go for diesel, just watch out for bad fuel which can ruin the injectors in the long term. Type " 1KD-FTV " in wikipedia and see what I'm talking about.

Also take into consideration the mileage you cover annually. Anything above 10,000 kms per annum would necessitate a diesel.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Diesel na... The superior fuel efficiency at lower fuel cost is a very big factor to consider, even if you say you would have to spend a bit more for routine maintenance. I always say to people looking between gas and diesel vehicles that even if you spend more for maintenance, it would be easier to spend five thousand bucks more for maintenance once every few months than to spend five thousand bucks more at the pump every month.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Diesel na, value for money sa tipid on gas pump....maingay lang engine kung 35000km...but it doesnot matter...HOWEver, i have to point out, the Paint COLOR of TOYOTA e pumapangit na pansinin niyo...check niyo uli....parang pina pinta lang sa tabi tabi...unless ok k dyan e is up to you....pero kung hindi mag mitsubishi monteromka na lang.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
FORTUNER (4x2) 2.5 A/T Diesel or 2.7 A/T Gas?