New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    It can sound underpowered, but actually it's not. Also, the torque is more favorable when driving uphill than the 2.7 VVT-i could be with its higher power.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    It would seem that in order to compensate for the inherent lack of power, Toyota tuned the engine so that the power is mostly diverted to the lower end of the rpm range, favoring torque over horsepower and have the turbo spinning much earlier than most other cars. But then when it reaches the century mark, it would take long to progress further.

The only feature I miss in the Fortuner 2.5 D4-D is an intercooler.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Can someone post how much does the PMS cost of a 2.5 D-4D unit is? Just to have an idea, I am still in hesitation of disposing my 2.7 VVT-i (2006 model) in favor of the said new unit... Thanks!!

I'm not sure about the cost back there in the Philippines since I'm overseas. But the PMS cost is not so higher for those newer common-rail diesels comparing to its EFI gasoline-powered counterparts, altough the D4-D takes nearly 1 liter more oil than the VVT-i (remember: diesel engines have a wider interval between oil changes and other PMS than a gasoline-powered one, and also don't require spark plugs).

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    The only feature I miss in the Fortuner 2.5 D4-D is an intercooler.
    Tuning shops like Speedlab are capable of making large-volume front mount intercoolers for these cars and have done so for quite a few Fortuner's and Innova's already. This should make them run evenly with the Montero Sport's and Everest's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Tuning shops like Speedlab are capable of making large-volume front mount intercoolers for these cars and have done so for quite a few Fortuner's and Innova's already. This should make them run evenly with the Montero Sport's and Everest's out there.
    Sure. but actually what I meant is that I think it could already come from factory with an intercooler.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Sure. but actually what I meant is that I think it could already come from factory with an intercooler.
    Well there are intercooled versions elsewhere, and recently even with variable geometry turbo. But then, being in the Philippines, where most good stuff never make it, we make do with the non-intercooled version.

Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Well there are intercooled versions elsewhere, and recently even with variable geometry turbo. But then, being in the Philippines, where most good stuff never make it, we make do with the non-intercooled version.
    The versions of the Fortuner assembled in Argentina also just have the factory-mounted intercooler for the 3.0L engine. But actually a front-mounted aftermarket one can even provide better charge air cooling since wouldn't suffer too much convection from the hot air trapped inside the engine bay. For the 2.5L in some markets it might also be related to more restrictive emission laws that lead to requirements for a more efficient combustion process.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Low end torque is what makes you feel that the 2.5L is not wanting in power. But yeah, at the century mark, it probably won't feel as powerful anymore. So that preference depends on the driver -- where do you want your power?

If you include the new Montero Sport, I'd take it for a spin and see if it fits me. The MS's design may be a bit minimalist compared to Toyota's. That may not sit well with some buyers.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
FORTUNER (4x2) 2.5 A/T Diesel or 2.7 A/T Gas?