New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rosy cheeks View Post
    -that the 2.5 Fort Diesel has the same 1KD-FTV engine as the whole Hiace variants which hauls 12-15 passengers and considering that the Hiace has it's engine mounted inside the vehicle, right below the driver's seat.
    Have you ever seen a Hiace with the 2.7L VVT-i back there in the Philippines?

Get the diesel-powered Fortuner and you won't regret.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    i like your comments sirs, they are very informative like:
    -future re-sale value
    -that the 2.5 Fort Diesel has the same 1KD-FTV (D-4D) engine as the whole Hiace variants which hauls 12-15 passengers and considering that the Hiace has it's engine mounted inside the vehicle, right below the driver's seat. While the fort seats lesser passengers and the engine infront.
    The 2.5li D-4D is 2KD-FTV. The 3.0li D-4D is 1KD-FTV.

1KD-FTV (3.0li) is not available for the Hi-Ace sold in the Philippines.

More comments are most welcome sirs and kindly include in the comparison the Montero 2.5 GLS-V 4x2 A/T which is priced near the fortuner..Thank you very much.
    If you only consider the VGT engine and 5 speed auto transmission, the Montero 2.5 GLS-V A/T wins hands down (over the Fort).

Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Have you ever seen a Hiace with the 2.7L VVT-i back there in the Philippines?
    There are at least two Hi-Ace VVT-i powered units. (both are high ceiling bodies)

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ayun! Since pasok na ang Montero Sport GLS-V, yun na ang kunin hands down! Para kang nagdagdag ng isang L300 engine sa Fort 2.5 engine ang lakas niya (L300 makes 73hp, Fort 2.5 102hp, and GLS-V 178hp ). Then there's 5 speed A/T w/manual shift override, four wheel disc brakes, and a more comfortable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    There are at least two Hi-Ace VVT-i powered units. (both are high ceiling bodies)
    There must be some reasons for the diesel be more usual

I used to be a die-hard enthusiast of the big V6 and V8 gasoline-powered engines, but actually some 4-cyl diesels even looking underpowered don't really feel so. An uncle of mine currently owns a Chevrolet Blazer with a 95HP Mercedes-Benz OM014 diesel engine and is very satisfied with it.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    For what it's worth. I've seen three different Fortuners D4d at nlex which were belching smoke. Perhaps if you chose the diesel variant you need to pay extra care on its maintenance and fuel quality. Good luck!

A good quality fuel is strongly recommended for ANY vehicle, not just the diesel-powered ones. Actually, they're even less sensible to damages or performance compromise due to quality alterations in the fuel than a gasoline-powered one, and the smoke belch doesn't exactly mean the engine is in an overall bad shape altough the fuel injection not properly tuned.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    bahain samin. and i don't have the luxury of choosing to staying home if weather is bad. hence the choice of diesel for us.

Right. Diesel engines are easier to prepare to run on extreme environments.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    There must be some reasons for the diesel be more usual

I used to be a die-hard enthusiast of the big V6 and V8 gasoline-powered engines, but actually some 4-cyl diesels even looking underpowered don't really feel so. An uncle of mine currently owns a Chevrolet Blazer with a 95HP Mercedes-Benz OM014 diesel engine and is very satisfied with it.
    Correct, in fairness, many people say that the Fortuner 2.5D4d is underpowered, I don't know if they really have had a chance to drive the thing, cause it doesn't feel underpowered AT ALL. Sure, 102hp looks pale on paper, but this thing moves. The 3.0D4d feels even stronger but you feel the heft too. Same as the Montero Sport 3.2 GLS SE powerful and hefty at the same time (even feels heftier than the 3.0V although the engine is really strong). The Fort 2.5L seems just lean on weight and adequate in power. Just right.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Adequate in the city, so-so on the highway. The lack of power of the 2.5 is felt when trying to overtake at highway speeds (100+ km/h).

Which is not a bad thing... it's actually dangerous to go too fast in such a tall vehicle.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
FORTUNER (4x2) 2.5 A/T Diesel or 2.7 A/T Gas?