New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Which compact sedan should I get?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honda Civic 1.8 a/t

9 30.00%
  • Hyundai Elantra 1.6 a/t

6 20.00%
  • Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1.6 a/t

15 50.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Thanks again for your valuable input, really appreciate them. Napansin ko lang na wala masyado nag-co-comment sa Elantra. Madami naman ako nakikita sa kalsada. Baka siguro hindi sila members ng tsikot.com hehehe!

Still waiting for my auto loan approval so I still have a few days to read more comments

Quote Originally Posted by hcdangan View Post
    I owned a 2007 Civic FD and Upgraded to a 2.0 Lancer EX. The interior of the Civic is still unparalleled. Both the FD and FB interiors are jawdropping and the cabin space is just insane! I have never seen such spacious dashboards and straight floors on the back row! When I upgraded to the Lancer EX, it almost made me cry. The instrument panel is so bad that I found it hard to believe that I was looking at the dashboard of a million peso car. It is really ugly--uglier than the ass of a constipated donkey. The cabin space is also smaller; the back row has a "hump" in the middle. I don't even know why I upgraded. Maybe I was bored.

I would pick the Civic hands down. When I get bored again, I will feed my Lancer Ex to the dogs and go back to the Civic. I have never seen a compact sedan interior better than the Civic's, and I have never seen a compact sedan with more cabin space than the Civic.

Forget the Elantra. That car was only made to win beauty contests. Japanese and Euro cars rule!
    May I ask sir why did u still buy the Lancer if it was that bad? I mean, I'm sure you first checked out the vehicle before deciding on your purchase

Why so negative on the Elantra? It has won numerous awards in other countries and even here. All show lang ba at walang ibubuga? He he!

Quote Originally Posted by moipogi View Post
    Having owned a 2.0liter EX MX (before it was claimed by Ondoy) and now a current Elantra 1.8AT owner, here are my 2 cents worth:

1) Interior-wise, Elantra is better visually. Outfit it with a real leather interior (which I did) it will feel like a mini Sonata.

2) Power, Elantra's 1.8 seems very similar to the Lancer's 2.0. Very responsive. Never used the paddle shifters on the Lancer as the car shifts better by itself. 6AT of the Elantra is a surprising feature, better vs the 5AT of the Civic imho.

3) Elantra trunk bigger vs Lancer, both have full size spares.

4) Steering, handling: Lancer is more sporty, Elantra less so. Elantra's ride is more biased for comfort/cruising. Lancer has much more road feel, Elantra has lightest steering feel among all cars I've owned. Must be getting old, but i think i like it in Manila's stop and go traffic.

5) Economy: both cars are not that thirsty, my style of spirited driving whenever possible still nets me 7.5 to 8km/l. Worst i've seen is 6.5l traffic jam scenario.

6) NVH: Lancer is quieter than Elantra. Cost cutting evident here as the insulation of the Koreans not yet up to par with the Japs. Pero maliit lang difference. Must be a car firm design philosophy, as my Korean made Chevy Cruze is also better insulated vs the Elantra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . . . ��
    Right now, it's a toss up between the Elantra & Civic.

When I showed by 6-year old son both cars from a magazine, I asked him which does he think looks better.... he chose the Civic hehe!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Among your choices, I'd recommend a 1.8 Elantra, kasi it's bang for the buck. Koreans, at least in this vehicle class, have already caught up and in some areas surpassed the Japs already.

Only thing the Japs have left is the perceived superiority in service & resale value. Sa service, wala pa naman akong nararanasan na aberya.

In terms of resale value, i don't place this as a major factor since i own cars on a longer term basis. After 6-7 years or so, nasulit mo na kotse mo, so resale value to me is secondary to the utility derived from the car.

I bought a Suzuki APV before based on its merits, and because it was the vehicle that fit my needs at the time. If i was concerned with resale value i would have copped out and bought a more expensive but less feature laden Innova or a markedly inferior Avanza. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . . . 😄

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Bang for the buck talaga ang Elantra 1.8. At first, it wasn't part of my consideration. Now I'm a proud 3-day owner of an Elantra 1.8. So far so good. Agree with the interior, Elantra > Civic. Exterior, depende na din sa yo. Sometimes nakakasawa din tignan exterior. Up to you to "accessorize" it. I didn't test drive the Civic but I'm a CRV owner, and I think lamang ang honda in terms of driving experience. I am still adjusting to my Elantra (steep learning curve )

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    *MOIPOGI: I won't be putting too much weight on resale value anymore coz like you pang matagalan din ang gamit.

*ISTARBUX: oo nga mas maganda interior ng Elantra. Pero parang mas malaki ang interior space ng Civic in terms of leg room and lapad.

Hindi ba malakas sa gas ang 1.8L? Kc primary purpose is hatid sundo ng kids ko sa school at driver ang mostly gagamit pero shempre first few months, ako muna hehehe Kaya balak ko 1.6L lang.
    Last edited by 3ple4; May 6th, 2013 at 08:58 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ple4 View Post
    *MOIPOGI: I won't be putting too much weight on resale value anymore coz like you pang matagalan din ang gamit.

*ISTARBUX: oo nga mas maganda interior ng Elantra. Pero parang mas malaki ang interior space ng Civic in terms of leg room and lapad.

Hindi ba malakas sa gas ang 1.8L? Kc primary purpose is hatid sundo ng kids ko sa school at driver ang mostly gagamit pero shempre first few months, ako muna hehehe Kaya balak ko 1.6L lang.
    Sir 3ple, it is very very minimal and barely noticeable. I tried driving mine and be a passenger at times, I don't feel or notice the difference between a Civic and an Elantra. Siguro head room sir, baka dun pa pero leg room and lapad, barely. My sister who rides with me most of the time thinks the Elantra has much much more space compared to a Civic. That's just her opinion

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by istarbuxs View Post
    Sir 3ple, it is very very minimal and barely noticeable. I tried driving mine and be a passenger at times, I don't feel or notice the difference between a Civic and an Elantra. Siguro head room sir, baka dun pa pero leg room and lapad, barely. My sister who rides with me most of the time thinks the Elantra has much much more space compared to a Civic. That's just her opinion
    I just checked both specs and mas mahaba ang wheelbase ng Elantra at mas malapid din but both by a few mm lang so siguro barely noticeable din.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    times like these, when the spec sheets appear to be very close, i'd just go where my body says.. but based on experience, korean cars do not age as well as japanese cars..
    what do i look for in a car, when things are about even? ease of ingress and eggress.. head and knees..
    Last edited by dr. d; May 7th, 2013 at 11:52 AM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    times like these, when the spec sheets appear to be very close, i'd just go where my body says.. but based on experience, korean cars do not age as well as japanese cars..
    Good point sir, thank you for the tip

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ple4 View Post
    Good point sir, thank you for the tip

Up to you pa rin sir. lots of people are saying that jap build > korean build. i agree but koreans have improved much much compared to this notion. very very old notion na nito. and besides, end of the day, lahat ng kotse nagkakaproblema, depende na lang sa pag alaga

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I just love my FD.. I know I'm outdated na pero when I bought my wife the Celerio, Hinahanap hanap ko pa din yung Civic ko.. It's a very comfortable ride.. Though now I have plans of selling it, to upgrade sa newer Civic or an SUV.. I'm still considering keeping it.. My 2.0S is the best car I've ever had.. I'll check out the new Civic and see if it's something that will fit my needs.. :D

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast