New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: What is the most prestigious car to have?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Audi A4

7 8.75%
  • BMW 3 Series

18 22.50%
  • Jaguar X-Type

18 22.50%
  • Lexus IS200

6 7.50%
  • Mercedes-Benz C Class

30 37.50%
  • VW Passat

1 1.25%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    well, that's why it's not selling. great car, but VW is not a premium enough brand (yet) to demand about USD 100k for a car. imho, they should have badged the thing as an Audi - that's exactly why they own that brand in the first place.

don't get me wrong guys, i'm not putting down VW (i'm a former VW owner myself - '99 Jetta VR6, which i gave to my brother, who took over the payments). i'm simply saying that in europe and north america, it's one of the most recognized brands for economy and reliability - but not prestige. perhaps it's different in the philippines. our Jetta was a wonderful car, but it competed against the Camry, Accord and Galant...not the 3-series or C-class.

even the name means "people's car" in german...
    right on!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think the rolls-royce is more prestigious than any of what is being polled in this thread...................

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I don't think being common must be taken into account here. Yes, you see more 3-Series cars around than the others, but that certainly doesn't make it less prestigious. In fact, it's easily better than the others and at least equal to the C-Class, which has hugely reinvented itself despite looking the same.

As for the Audi, people buy this because they're supposed to be cheaper than the BMW and Mercedes, but here, the 1.6 A4 costs around the same as the 316i. Yes, Audis have the looks and interior impeccability, but you don't get the same ride comfort as the Benz or the driver involvement of the Bimmer.

The X-Type is simply outclassed here. The dashboard is actually more Ford than Jaguar. Rear space is also small and dynamics nowhere near the Germans. It's better off in the category of the Volvo S60, Saab 9-3 and the like. These are also darn good cars but have some catching up to do with the very best.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Among the cars in the list, MB C-clas IMO.

Pero, IMHO the Rolls-royce is the most prestigious. Sabi nga ng isang Brit aristocrat who loves cars: "The Rolls-Royce is a car that one needs to be driven in, while all others are the ones you need to drive." But as far as efficiency is concerned, nobody beats them Germans (Bimmers and Mercs). In fact, if you own either a Merc or a Bimmer and you're Western European, you'd be hard pressed to find 2nd hand parts nowadays because there is a high-demand for 2nd hand Mercs and Bimmers in Eastern Europe, South Africa and Asia.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    i think this list was featured on the latest episode of 5th gear, 3rd was the bimmer, 2nd the merc n 1st the jag.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    STICKING TO THE LIST...

hehe

C-Class

But kung pera ko and im not using it here, I've always liked the Passat (well, if you like the Passat, A4 is quite similar hehe)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Hero33 actually says it all. Being too common can cause a car to not be that prestigious or exclusive. Imagine if you bought a new 3M peso car and some guy drives besides you with a 10 year old (same) model at a stop light. Winks or waves at you in a sign that you're both same model owners and leaves you in the dust of his exhaust. That isn't exactly how I'd want to spend a small fortune on a car, which too many people have. I'm not saying it doesnt drive well or the car isnt great but there are just too many on the road. Think of it as too many people having good taste. ;)

Even though the Benz (as a brand) ranks high on Fifth Gear and Tsikot it ranks 9th from the bottom on the JD Powers Customer Satisfaction ranking of 2004. In 1994 Benz was #1 on the same Customer Satisfaction survey. That's how much exclusivity and prestige can help a brand sell cars that are worse than some of the most looked down cars in the world. This year though Benz appears to have jumped back to 5th place.

The Bentley and Rolls Royce are indeed more prestigious than those cars listed above but then again those uber brands dont offer entry level executive cars.

BlueBeemer is correct this survey was done on this week's Fifth Gear. I was curious how Tsikot peeps would rank each one. The Brits and Pinoys taste in cars are pretty close.
    Last edited by OTO; May 23rd, 2005 at 08:24 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO
    Hero33 actually says it all. Being too common can cause a car to not be that prestigious or exclusive. Imagine if you bought a new 3M peso car and some guy drives besides you with a 10 year old (same) model at a stop light. Winks or waves at you in a sign that you're both same model owners and leaves you in the dust of his exhaust. That isn't exactly how I'd want to spend a small fortune on a car, which too many people have. I'm not saying it doesnt drive well or the car isnt great but there are just too many on the road. Think of it as too many people having good taste. ;)

Even though the Benz (as a brand) ranks high on Fifth Gear and Tsikot it ranks 9th from the bottom on the JD Powers Customer Satisfaction ranking of 2004. In 1994 Benz was #1 on the same Customer Satisfaction survey. That's how much exclusivity and prestige can help a brand sell cars that are worse than some of the most looked down cars in the world. This year though Benz appears to have jumped back to 5th place.

The Bentley and Rolls Royce are indeed more prestigious than those cars listed above but then again those uber brands dont offer entry level executive cars.

BlueBeemer is correct this survey was done on this week's Fifth Gear. I was curious how Tsikot peeps would rank each one. The Brits and Pinoys taste in cars are pretty close.
    First, why are you basing your car purchase on its being common on the road or not? So what if someone else is driving the same car as you?

Take for instance the Honda Civic. It's very common, but this doesn't make it less of a car, does it? As what they say, "Millions of owners worldwide cannot be wrong." I know this car is nowhere near BMWs or Benzes in terms of luxury and overall dynamics, but it gets the job done and in the late 90s, it was the best economy car. When the EK came out, it was one of Car & Driver's 10 Best Cars and Automobile Mag's Car of the Year.

If you ask me, I'll pick the benchmark anytime. If I'm gonna pay a lump of cash for a car, why not get the best, right? True, BMWs are more common than other luxury brands here, but heck, they're the best, so who cares about standing out?

Try thinking about PS2 and GameCube to see what I mean.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    All the cars are entry level cars, I guess your just going off the brand. Well, I've got a benz and a beemer. Actually, most of the brands listed on the poll have a marque car (except for lexus and VW). It just depends on the consumers personal preferences. A prestigious car to me might be entry level to someone. For me, I would say that the Benz has always had that mystique. They even have the SLR and AMG's!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I think you're confusing "image", "exclusivity" and "prestige" with something else.

Simply put all your mentioned items are just good examples of product positioning. That's why certain car brands must price lower or higher because of the image they have in the market.

Honda Phil can charge a premium because of a well crafted image. Ever wonder why there arent Honda taxis on the road?

Most people dont care much for what a car reviewer says about a car. If they did then only a handful of car brands would exist. Most people dont care much about benchmarks either. If they did more people would be driving gas cars rather than diesels.

If you ask the 16 people who voted for the C Class they'd say otherwise. The Benz isn't known to top benchmarks but they picked the C Class because of how they perceive the car.

GCN hardware-wise is better but people flock to the PS2 because of the games on the console. Nintendo has an image being a "kids" console that's why older gamers avoid it in favor of the PS2.

Not to say your opinion doesnt matter but that's not how the world works. The more expensive an item gets the more important image becomes. The more common an item becomes the less prestigious it is.

If performance is all that matters then slap on a big turbo on a Civic and pump it up to 1000bhp. You'll save a bundle doing that over buying a less powerful Ferrari.

The only thing that saved Benz for the past decade is the image it has earned over the past 100 years. Remove the three pointed star and slap on a Rover badge and the manufacturing plant would've closed down a decade earlier.
    Last edited by OTO; May 24th, 2005 at 01:50 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Which car is the most prestigious