New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    According to wikipedia, it's pretty good.

The glaring problem I see is that there isn't a lot of tests done on rear impact situations. Maybe some of those more knowledgeable with the topic can enlighten us on this.

*IF* the car can take rear impact as well as the front, then the jazz is pretty safe anyway.

The problem with older cars is that these are usually made with very rigid metal frames which transmit the force of the impact straight to the passengers, which isn't good. With newer cars designed with crumple zones, mayuyupi yung harap/likod but this should effectively absorb the bulk of the impact and minimize the force experienced by the passengers.
    Crash test results can't be compared across different weight categories. An SUV will always come out ahead in a collision with a compact car.

"It is important to note as with the NHTSA's frontal impact test, vehicles across different weight categories may not be directly compared. This is because the heavier vehicle is generally considered to have an advantage if it encounters a lighter vehicle or is involved in a single-vehicle crash. The IIHS demonstrated this by crashing three midsize sedans with three smaller Good rated minicars. All three minicars were rated "Poor" in these special offset head-on car-to-car tests, while the midsize cars rated "Good" or "Acceptable."" -from wikipedia

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jang View Post
    Crash test results can't be compared across different weight categories. An SUV will always come out ahead in a collision with a compact car.

"It is important to note as with the NHTSA's frontal impact test, vehicles across different weight categories may not be directly compared. This is because the heavier vehicle is generally considered to have an advantage if it encounters a lighter vehicle or is involved in a single-vehicle crash. The IIHS demonstrated this by crashing three midsize sedans with three smaller Good rated minicars. All three minicars were rated "Poor" in these special offset head-on car-to-car tests, while the midsize cars rated "Good" or "Acceptable."" -from wikipedia
    And there I stand corrected. Now we need a comparo between relatively older SUVs/AUVs and newer but smaller cars.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Aside from those mentioned, you could also try considering a Nissan x-trail 04-05 model, though you might want to stretch your budget a bit (30-50k).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    While reading on car safety issues, I just came across this 2003 study:
    Are SUVs safer than cars?

http://eetd.lbl.gov/ea/teepa/pdf/TRB_Safety_1-03.pdf

Summary of Findings
    •Average midsize and large cars have same risk to drivers as average
    SUV
    •Safest subcompact and compact cars have same risk to driver as
    average SUV
    •Pickups and SUVs (and minivans) impose high risks on other drivers
    because of their incompatibility with cars
    •Average subcompact and compact cars have similar combined risk
    as average SUV
    •Driver behavior influences what we call risk
    —low risk to drivers of minivans and high risk to drivers of sports
    cars
    •Driver *** and age do not appear to influence our main findings by
    vehicle model
    •However, other driver characteristics or environmental conditions
    (rather than vehicle design) may explain some of our findings
    •Quality of vehicle design appears to be a better predictor of risk than
    vehicle weight

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grcr4mms View Post
    While reading on car safety issues, I just came across this 2003 study:
    Are SUVs safer than cars?

http://eetd.lbl.gov/ea/teepa/pdf/TRB_Safety_1-03.pdf

Summary of Findings
    •Average midsize and large cars have same risk to drivers as average
    SUV
    •Safest subcompact and compact cars have same risk to driver as
    average SUV
    •Pickups and SUVs (and minivans) impose high risks on other drivers
    because of their incompatibility with cars
    •Average subcompact and compact cars have similar combined risk
    as average SUV
    •Driver behavior influences what we call risk
    —low risk to drivers of minivans and high risk to drivers of sports
    cars
    •Driver *** and age do not appear to influence our main findings by
    vehicle model
    •However, other driver characteristics or environmental conditions
    (rather than vehicle design) may explain some of our findings
    •Quality of vehicle design appears to be a better predictor of risk than
    vehicle weight
    I am more confused as what to replace my honda city. Maybe I should also consider buying a minivan? Probably something smaller than a Starex?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    minivan - kia carnival perhaps could be an ideal choice considering its also fuel efficient, easy maintain and cheap parts to boot of course a bit smaller than a starex w/c is korean brand also...

what about mitsu spacegear w/ the diesel variant...or the Revo VX240D for the AUV...

at least all this vehicles cater to your budget limitation...HTH.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    In fairness, the length of the Starex is shorter than or similar to the length of an average midsize sedan of the same generation (late 90s and early 2000s). Its just that the hood is short while prioritizing the cabin which makes it look as if it was really big when it fact its dimensions are actually quite similar to the Crosswind XUV and most minivans at that price range (Venture, Carnival) are actually longer. The two mentioned minivans score high in NHTSA crash tests too if you are considering them. But the Venture is a big guzzler and the Carnival has issues with its A/T which is known to be very problematic (M/T Carnivals sell for higher prices). The Estima (Previa) from Japan surplus may also fit your budget but then again it uses a 3.0V6 engine so...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by armscor40 View Post
    minivan - kia carnival perhaps could be an ideal choice considering its also fuel efficient, easy maintain and cheap parts to boot of course a bit smaller than a starex w/c is korean brand also...

what about mitsu spacegear w/ the diesel variant...or the Revo VX240D for the AUV...

at least all this vehicles cater to your budget limitation...HTH.
    Now that you mentioned Kia Carnival, it seems to be a good choice. It has good safety features, fuel efficient and within my budget. My only concern is if it would be too bulky for a mom like me to drive and would a 2001 model hard to maintain (compared to other 10 yr old vehicles e.g. 2001 CRV). Are those imported Carnival/ Sedona safe (considering it's not converted) and as easy/hard to maintain as the local ones?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    In fairness, the length of the Starex is shorter than or similar to the length of an average midsize sedan of the same generation (late 90s and early 2000s). Its just that the hood is short while prioritizing the cabin which makes it look as if it was really big when it fact its dimensions are actually quite similar to the Crosswind XUV and most minivans at that price range (Venture, Carnival) are actually longer. The two mentioned minivans score high in NHTSA crash tests too if you are considering them. But the Venture is a big guzzler and the Carnival has issues with its A/T which is known to be very problematic (M/T Carnivals sell for higher prices). The Estima (Previa) from Japan surplus may also fit your budget but then again it uses a 3.0V6 engine so...
    I believe the Carnival though longer (and wider?) than the Starex, drives more like a car. I would have to look for M/T then if ever I decide on a Carnival.

I am also considering Hyundai Matrix CRDi (fuel efficient, within my budget, newer than carnival/ crv) but it has no added safety features. Still.... I think it is comparable to a midsize sedan/CUV which is generally safer than a subcompact like my city.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grcr4mms View Post
    I believe the Carnival though longer (and wider?) than the Starex, drives more like a car. I would have to look for M/T then if ever I decide on a Carnival.

I am also considering Hyundai Matrix CRDi (fuel efficient, within my budget, newer than carnival/ crv) but it has no added safety features. Still.... I think it is comparable to a midsize sedan/CUV which is generally safer than a subcompact like my city.
    Yes indeed, the Carnival is more refined, more comfortable and more powerful than the Starex. I'm not sure if the issue with the Carnival's A/T is blown up out of proportion but I believe its best to stick with M/T to be sure. Besides, A/T Carnivals are known for having poor fuel mileage. As for safety, be rest assured as the Carnival gets 5 star ratings from the US NHTSA. But be sure to get a well maintained unit and have it extensively checked by a skilled mechanic.

Yes, the Matrix is also a good choice. It shares the same engine as the daredevil Accent CRDi cabs which goes without saying that its even faster and thriftier than the Carnival though it is of course less practical due to being only able to seat five people. And yes the lack of safety features may be a turnoff for some (but not for me). The body size is rather queer though, the length is shorter than the average subcompact sedan but the width and height is similar to that of MPVs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
2nd hand SUV/AUV