New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I recently had an accident with my honda city 2002 vtec and my rear end was hit by a big SUV. Thank God my kids were not with me as I usually put them at the back. I was happy with my car but I am currently thinking of replacing it with a bigger 2nd hand SUV/AUV. I know it is not the right time to buy a bigger SUV/AUV with the rising fuel cost but I realized sometimes you can't avoid accidents and medyo dehado tlaga and mas maliit na sasakyan compared to bigger ones when it does happen and I am thinking safety of my kids.

I am thinking at the range of around P400,000 and my choices are CRV, RAV4, Crosswind XUV. Any other suggestions? I drive M/T but also thinking of shifting to A/T. I like the look of the 2nd gen RAV4 (smallest of the 3 but I only have 2 kids), but I heard the 2nd gen CRV is more fuel efficient, but the crosswind I think is the toughest. I wonder which of them also is the easiest to maintain and easiest for me to manuever (car like ride?)?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    For a good family vehicle I would suggest you get the Starex Turbo Intercooler. If you can stretch the budget to around 500k, then the you can get the SVX CRDi variant.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by grcr4mms View Post
    I recently had an accident with my honda city 2002 vtec and my rear end was hit by a big SUV. Thank God my kids were not with me as I usually put them at the back. I was happy with my car but I am currently thinking of replacing it with a bigger 2nd hand SUV/AUV. I know it is not the right time to buy a bigger SUV/AUV with the rising fuel cost but I realized sometimes you can't avoid accidents and medyo dehado tlaga and mas maliit na sasakyan compared to bigger ones when it does happen and I am thinking safety of my kids.

I am thinking at the range of around P400,000 and my choices are CRV, RAV4, Crosswind XUV. Any other suggestions? I drive M/T but also thinking of shifting to A/T. I like the look of the 2nd gen RAV4 (smallest of the 3 but I only have 2 kids), but I heard the 2nd gen CRV is more fuel efficient, but the crosswind I think is the toughest. I wonder which of them also is the easiest to maintain and easiest for me to manuever (car like ride?)?
    the 2nd gen CRV M/T is pretty fuel efficient compared to the A/T. this should fit within your budget (2002-2003 pre-facelift models). It has better safety features compared to the crosswind XUV and more comfortable for your family. i can't say anything about the RAV4 though, i've only driven one once. i think the CRV is a bit more spacious

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If you're looking at passenger safety, then it's not in the size of the car but one that has been better engineered.

Even the latest honda jazz has scored pretty well in crash tests.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If you're looking at a +-400k SUV/AUV, then you would surely miss the performance of your pocket rocket City VTEC. I would suggest against getting gas SUVs (like CRV, Rav4, Escape, etc.) or AUVs (Revo 1.8, 2.0, Adventure 2.0) as these are huge guzzlers due to the large engine displacement and heavy vehicle weight and a fuel mileage of around 5-6km/L city driving would be boring a hole on your wallet soon enough. I find the Crosswind XUV impractical. This one's got very high resale value but poor performance and ride comfort even if compared to the lighter and lower XL, XT, XTi variants. If you're bent on getting the Crosswind, I'd suggest you get the XTO variant (top of the line variant of the pre-facelift Crosswind before the XUV came out). But aside from your choices I'd still suggest the Starex which gives you excellent ride comfort, ability to seat 10 real, full sized people (and not 6 adults and 4 kids like in the Crosswind. ) which should mean more bang for your buck, as well as the practicality that comes with having a diesel engine (be it old school or modern).

6. Join Date
    Jun 2010

the 2nd gen CRV M/T is pretty fuel efficient compared to the A/T. this should fit within your budget (2002-2003 pre-facelift models). It has better safety features compared to the crosswind XUV and more comfortable for your family. i can't say anything about the RAV4 though, i've only driven one once. i think the CRV is a bit more spacious

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Get a gen 2 pajero, If you can up the budget, FM paj na 4x2 MT. takot lang ng babangga sa'yo. Joke lang.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    If you're looking at passenger safety, then it's not in the size of the car but one that has been better engineered.

Even the latest honda jazz has scored pretty well in crash tests.
    What about the previous honda jazz? Does it score pretty well in crash tests also?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    If you're looking at a +-400k SUV/AUV, then you would surely miss the performance of your pocket rocket City VTEC. I would suggest against getting gas SUVs (like CRV, Rav4, Escape, etc.) or AUVs (Revo 1.8, 2.0, Adventure 2.0) as these are huge guzzlers due to the large engine displacement and heavy vehicle weight and a fuel mileage of around 5-6km/L city driving would be boring a hole on your wallet soon enough. I find the Crosswind XUV impractical. This one's got very high resale value but poor performance and ride comfort even if compared to the lighter and lower XL, XT, XTi variants. If you're bent on getting the Crosswind, I'd suggest you get the XTO variant (top of the line variant of the pre-facelift Crosswind before the XUV came out). But aside from your choices I'd still suggest the Starex which gives you excellent ride comfort, ability to seat 10 real, full sized people (and not 6 adults and 4 kids like in the Crosswind. ) which should mean more bang for your buck, as well as the practicality that comes with having a diesel engine (be it old school or modern).
    I agree Starex is practical and I can easily find one within my budget but I don't have a driver, and I will be driving it myself, half the time alone. Also, I want a hassle free parking. I'm putting Crosswind at the bottom of my list.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    What about the previous honda jazz? Does it score pretty well in crash tests also?
    According to wikipedia, it's pretty good.

The glaring problem I see is that there isn't a lot of tests done on rear impact situations. Maybe some of those more knowledgeable with the topic can enlighten us on this.

*IF* the car can take rear impact as well as the front, then the jazz is pretty safe anyway.

The problem with older cars is that these are usually made with very rigid metal frames which transmit the force of the impact straight to the passengers, which isn't good. With newer cars designed with crumple zones, mayuyupi yung harap/likod but this should effectively absorb the bulk of the impact and minimize the force experienced by the passengers.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
2nd hand SUV/AUV