New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    yep. But practicality will win you over longterm if you own a pickup. Like when going to manila with several people on board and you know you cant put your stuff in the bed coz you dont want them stolen while queuing in traffic

Practicality is why a pickup is being considered ... it's tax free ... vs buying an SUV with tax ... more or less 300T difference ... to protect your items in the pickup bed, one can install a tri-fold bed cover ...

What's not to like about a pickup ... it's diesel ... high ground clearance ... has the creature comforts and gizmos of a modern sedan ... ride quality can be remedied by putting something heavy in the bed ...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Practicality is why a pickup is being considered ... it's tax free ... vs buying an SUV with tax ... more or less 300T difference ... to protect your items in the pickup bed, one can install a tri-fold bed cover ...

What's not to like about a pickup ... it's diesel ... high ground clearance ... has the creature comforts and gizmos of a modern sedan ... ride quality can be remedied by putting something heavy in the bed ...
    The practicality he's pointing out might be about the characteristic of driving or handling a pickup when compared to an suv or a car, not the price of it or etc. Because the pickup has a much longer wheelbase due to its extended length, it gives burden to drivers because it is much harder to turn and park within tight spaces plus the blind spot it gives on its rear end but that can be remedied by installing a backup camera. I think it is ideal for those people who buy it for its real purpose, not just for porma or because it is cheaper than their ppv counterpart.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    The practicality he's pointing out might be about the characteristic of driving or handling a pickup when compared to an suv or a car, not the price of it or etc. Because the pickup has a much longer wheelbase due to its extended length, it gives burden to drivers because it is much harder to turn and park within tight spaces plus the blind spot it gives on its rear end but that can be remedied by installing a backup camera. I think it is ideal for those people who buy it for its real purpose, not just for porma or because it is cheaper than their ppv counterpart.

exactly. The Hilux LN106 dressed up Aussie style is just parked in our garage. Seldom used except for bed carrying duties. The SUV's and AUV's are mostly used daily compared to the PU truck...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    The practicality he's pointing out might be about the characteristic of driving or handling a pickup when compared to an suv or a car, not the price of it or etc.

I know exactly what he meant ... if you have a lot of money and is willing to spend 300T more of the same vehicle sans the 3rd row, then good for you ... go look at the sales in countries where pickups are tax free ... pickup sales rule over SUVs ...

If everyone were so concerned about vehicle size then we would be seeing all sub compacts or super minis on the road ...

So, again .. to be practical ... one would consider buying a pickup they are priced lower now ...
    Last edited by Walter; February 13th, 2018 at 09:00 AM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    I know exactly what he meant ... if you have a lot of money and is willing to spend 300T more of the same vehicle sans the 3rd row, then good for you ... go look at the sales in countries where pickups are tax free ... pickup sales rule over SUVs ...

If everyone were so concerned about vehicle size then we would be seeing all sub compacts or super minis on the road ...

So, again .. to be practical ... one would consider buying a pickup they are priced lower now ...
    Yeah I get about how it is essentially cheaper than their ppv counterpart and it is even more justified by the new tax law. That can be hard to ignore. However, unless you'll use the bed for its real purpose, their 5m length really takes up space either in the road, garages or parking lots which is something to consider when buying them and do many of those buyers really use the bed most of the time? I don't think so. So it's not just about the freaking size but also the bed in the rear. Think about it.

And what about the size of the subcompact or minis? Well, they don't actually have the versatility of a diesel mpv or suv, like having decent space for 5 to 7/8 member family, tough chassis for inferior quality roads, capability to wade through some floods, the frugality and torque a typical crdi engine would make, as well as their reliability in the long run when maintained properly. The pickup is also versatile like a diesel ppv but instead of having a 3rd row for add'l occupants, it has a bed which can be useful if one utilizes its real purpose; carrying a load there a lot.

The practicality you're pointing out is just how they are plain cheaper compared to ppvs because while the pickups got a decreased price range this year, the ppvs gained a ridiculous price increase because of excise tax. I don't know but I bet there are some owners out there who have regretted their decision in buying them and said, 'I wish I could have gotten the suv instead'.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009

Practical? Pricewise at this time of the TRAIN tax, probably yes bec PU trucks became cheaper. But is it a practical vehicle longterm? yes for people with business that requires usage of the PU bed, but for most of us who need vehicles as daily drive or pleasure to get us to work or vacations I dont think so. There were already 4 newer generations after the Hilux LN106 and I didnt take a second look in getting a newer one regardless of brand and the features they offer. But that's just me and I have different outlook with pick up trucks

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Round and round we go ...

8. Join Date
    May 2012
    Its NOT a must as ride quality is highly subjective. PU trucks here in the Philippines are delegated “sedan” duties almost 90% of the time by its owners and not what its supposed to do. Utility. Try loading 500-600kg up in the new Navarra and you will understand the suspension setup of the Hilux. If you are in the market for a new family vehicle or personal car (that will not see hauling), the Hilux is not for you. Abroad (Australia, Africa, SA, etc,) pickups are mostly for utility (Farming, mining, hauling, etc). Here in the PI, we dress them up and used as regular car. And then we complain about their suspension...😂
    very good observation

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here in the PI, we dress them up and used as regular car. And then we complain about their suspension...😂
    Wait... don't we complain about the suspension as an excuse to modify?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I would only consider a pickup a practical vehicle if I can have it converted into a troop carrier with side facing benches in the bed a la L300. [emoji23] I remember seeing government issue 1st gen double cab Hilux's in this configuration.

For most hauling needs, with 2nd and 3rd rows up, our Carnival can actually rise to the occasion with a loading area that is longer and wider (though not taller) than any single cab pickup bed cab can ever dream to have. In fact, I have an aunt who uses their Carnival for delivery duties in their perishable goods business during coding day of their delivery vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast