New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 784 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Well done sir! We recently got a new car, and I went here looking for information on detailing, hoping to find something like this initially. However, I wasn't able to find that short, concise yet comprehensive beginner's guide (which is what this serves as admirably) that I was looking for, so I ended up going through the detailer's threads - I've been reading through them for the past week and a half, and I've only just finished with the first two (now starting on the current thread!). I did find the information I was looking for there, but I had to go through a lot of posts to do so (though I don't begrudge the time I've spent, as I've learned a lot just reading about your experiences and the advice posted on those threads).

Still, having a thread like this is definitely a great idea, and serves as an easy reference to which you can point beginners (in fact, I'm going to be sending the link to this thread to my brother, who's recently gotten interested in detailing, but doesn't have a lot of knowledge yet). So again, bravo sir!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Two thumbs up Sir scharnhorst for your awesome guide! I know this will help a lot especially newbies in maintaining their rides exterior appeareance. This should be a sticky.

Gratz and more power!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    very informative sir! thanks for sharing this

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by abet_ramz View Post
    very informative sir! thanks for sharing this
    +1 thanks for sharing sir. Please make sticky.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    galing sir! thanks for sharing...

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sobrang OC naman ito. hehe

wala bang panginterior?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    + ∞ nice one idol. :D detail session ulit tayo. post ko ba dito pics nung zoom zoom mo nung nag session tayo ni sir ed? hehe!

"tamang OC lang.."

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    oo tama,next assignment mo naman pang interior marami kang natutulungan dito paps,keep it up

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    +1 on the interior. Please make this sticky.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    very informative! kudos.

who is edwin? any contact info? i'd like to try out optimum products.

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    OTHERS

Quick Detailers - there are 2 types: Cleaners and Boosters
    -Cleaners are used to clean gunk, such as bird droppings and tree sap in a cinch.
    -Boosters either improve the durability of the wax underneath it or improve the looks
    a)Optimum No Rinse: Cleaner QD. Mixed with distilled water in different dilutions, depending on use
    1:16 - Cleaning QD
    1:32 - Rinseless Wash
    1:64 - Clay lube
    Q: Why distilled water?
    A: ONR will precipitate any impurities in tap water, rendering the solution useless.
    b)Microtex Nanosliq (P329): Booster QD: essentially a liquid wax. Fills swirls nicely, but is prone to streaking
    c)Mother's FX Spray Wax (P495): liquid wax. Easier to buff than Nanosliq, but doesn't fill swirls as good.
    d)Optimum Car Wax: A liquid wax/sealant. Easy to apply, no buffing required, provides great sheeting, and is more durable than most over the counter waxes. Looks good too.
    e)Optimum Gloss Enhancer: As the name implies, it enhances the shine. Dust repellant, making it easier to dust off a car. No beading or sheeting however.
    It is diluted in distilled water at a ratio of 1:3

*Note: the booster QDs are best applied after giving the wax some time to cure.
    Q: How to apply a booster QD?
    A: just spray it on a clean surface and then spread with a Microfiber towel. For best results, sweep the panel as you spray to maximize coverage.
    Q: Do I need to buff the booster QD?
    A: Depends. Mother's FX and Nanosliq require some buffing. Optimum Car wax and Optimum Gloss enhancer do not need any buffing

Cleaning your detailing equipment
    a) Degreasers: This is needed to remove waxes, oils and dirt from your microfiber washmitt, cloths, and wax applicators. For general use, Joy dishwashing liquid is good enough.
    b) Perla white: In order to maintain the tenderness of the microfiber cloths, they are washed with Perla White after degreasing.

Q: Can I use fabric softeners?
    A: No. This will damage the microfibers.
    Q: How do I dry them?
    A: Let them air-dry. Do NOT dry them under the sun, as this will stiffen the microfibers. To aid in drying, they can be spun in a washing machine's spinner.

When to clean your car?
    This depends on the weather conditions. During the rainy season, one might wash up to three times a week, or use cleaning QDs every day. During the summer, a single wash and wax session can go a long way - dust is simply dusted off with a duster.

When to wax your car?
    Depends on the type of wax you're using. Most OTC waxes are gone after a rain or after the first wash. Collinite waxes have consistently been able to last at least one week in harsh Philippine conditions. In order to prolong the life of the wax, spray booster waxes can be used after washing the car.

Happy detailing!

SAMPLE MAINTENANCE REGIMEN
    Weekend 1:
    1)Apply Nanoglos or Mothers Step 2.
    *Note: Step 2 does not require any curing time. Nanoglos requires 8 hours
    2)Apply Collinite 476
    3)Apply Nanosliq after 6 hours

Weekend 2:
    Apply Nanosliq after washing. Note if the water still beads during rinsing.if it beads, the wax is still alive.

<it rains!>
    Wash. Note if the wax is still beading the water
    Apply Nanosliq after washing

Weekend 3:
    Apply Nanosliq after washing if the wax is still beading. If not, you can elect to reapply Collinite.

Weekend 4:
    Repeat Weekend 1's steps after claying (to follow.).

APPENDIX
    Where to get products?
    1) Microtex products are available at Blade outlets, at Handyman, Ace Hardware, and with sir Edwin.
    2) Mother's products are available at Blade outlets or at their retailer at Mandaluyong.
    3) Collinite products are available with sir Edwin or at Autobisyo.
    4) Optimum products are available with sir Edwin.

Do you want to know more? Ask us at the Tsikot Detailing Thread:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74876

V1.0 uploaded on January 16, 2011.
    -updated prices
    V1.1. added cleaning stuff, segregated QD section
    V1.2 added to tsikot

&quot;Tamang OC lang&quot; - a newbie's guide to car appearance maintenance