New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    and that solution is cheaper than buying new trains and making sure the maintenance is done by a competent company?
    yep, this is cheaper, no more signaling system as there is no metal to metal friction braking to consider, thus no more training of train driver... in my opinion, this can be implemented in just one month, remove all the tracks and trains and replace them with bus... the purpose of the MRT is MASS transport, but in the absence of the working trains its purpose not being utilized... thus if we want an immediate action/solution, this is the idea that came to my mind...

desperate to have the system working again transporting mass amount of people, well while waiting for the production of long hybrid bus, lets just use the ordinary diesel bus in the mean time on the MRT platform...

BTW: we the philippines already bought new trains from CHINA which are only being used/utilized on weekends due to it is incompatibility with the current/outdated MRT signaling system utilizing a 5 1/2 floppy disk operated signaling system paired with a 256Mb PC...

LOOK: Poor condition of MRT-3's signalling system [photos]
    Last edited by Stigg ma; August 1st, 2016 at 01:51 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    First, we want to DECONGEST EDSA, not further congest it.

Anyway, BTT, I was with one of the influential businessmen in Clark last week and we were just talking about this.

Epic fail daw yang hybrid bus ng DOTC. 2 years nang nasa testing phase, hindi man lang makatakbo ng maayos sa Clark. On the day that it was supposed to have its grand launch, the engines gave out.

I'm not saying it's not viable, I'm saying it's not viable YET. It will also be very very expensive as it's a new project altogether and you will need several dozens (if not hundreds) of these ultra long buses to effectively ferry people across EDSA. You say fixing the MRT is costly, well getting something to work from the ground up is even costlier.

Also, the buses definitely don't run on a straight line. Have you seen the entire length of EDSA on a map? It's a lot like an inverted "C" from Pasay to Monumento. It's far trickier to operate a 5-segment bus than a regular bus or a train on rails.

So what do I propose? Focus on fixing the MRT. The key strength of the Duterte administration is that they get things done, as long as they set their eyes on it. So far, the admin's focus has been on drugs and criminality. I believe in Tugade - clearly a man with more willpower and vision than Abaya. Surely he can steer the DOTC in the right direction.

I don't like Duterte's talks with MRTC though. It sends the signal that they're willing to compromise with those crooks. If there's anything good that the previous admin did, it's to get MRTC out of the picture. Hopefully Tugade maintains that, while getting more trains rolling and getting a proper contractor to maintain the new trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigg ma View Post
    Hi Tsikoters,

I have an idea to solve the MRT, i know some of you would find this crazy, or funny and even without basis... but thats why i am seeking opinions...

as we know, MRT trains breaks down frequently due to unprofessional maintenance done to its trains... with this, restoring the trains and its safety accessories (signaling system) to its safe working condition would be costly...

the solution i am thinking is to remove all the train tracks and trains and just replace it with a very long hybrid diesel bus, this way we would also solve the employee train operator certification cost because they wont need it to operate a bus running on a straight line...

what are your ideas to solve the MRT?
    There is a quote attributed to Einstein, and I paraphrase, that if he has an hour to save the world, he will spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes looking for solution.

One good methodology to define a problem is the use of 5 Whys. You break down the problem and solutions come up naturally.

With the solution you offered, you seem to have identify 1 or 2 whys and then completely ignore it right away.

For us to move forward as a nation, it is necessary to strengthen our institutions. We cannot afford tearing down and building up infrastructures/policies every 6 years or so. Failing to make our system work is like introducing another problem without solving the existing one.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigg ma View Post
    no, read it again, remove all the tracks and the trains, use the existing pavement and platform of the MRT, in short, instead of the trains, in the middle of edsa, we shall use the long hybrid buses

we shall call it instead, elevated light bus system in the absence of the trains...

so you want steerable rubber-tired "buses" running on very narrow elevated roads

that's even more brilliant

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    e di teleporter na lang mas mabilis pa.

gamot mo uminom ka nga!
    Baka takot na din uminom ng prescription, baka kasi maging drug suspect!

Re:MRT in its current form, I don't know the inner workings of the problems they have, but I have one point to raise and that is the fare. Fare is supposedly too low for the MRT's operational costs, not even enough to just break even. If the goal is to decentralize employment, etc., why are we still subsidizing MRT fares?

Wouldn't it be better to hike fares so that subsidies are reduced, and maybe someday given regular fare increases it might even make money. Then they would have something to fund maintenance and perhaps upgrades in the future. And people who can't afford it will be forced to seek transportation, perhaps even employment elsewhere.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    Baka takot na din uminom ng prescription, baka kasi maging drug suspect!

Re:MRT in its current form, I don't know the inner workings of the problems they have, but I have one point to raise and that is the fare. Fare is supposedly too low for the MRT's operational costs, not even enough to just break even. If the goal is to decentralize employment, etc., why are we still subsidizing MRT fares?

Wouldn't it be better to hike fares so that subsidies are reduced, and maybe someday given regular fare increases it might even make money. Then they would have something to fund maintenance and perhaps upgrades in the future. And people who can't afford it will be forced to seek transportation, perhaps even employment elsewhere.

yeah it's sort of a chicken/egg problem. people complain of poor facilities but they don't wanna pay for good service. so how can you invest in more trains (and proper maintenance) if people aren't gonna pay for it?

then also, how could people afford to pay for higher fares if they're always late to work with the current transport infrastructure

on top of that, any improvements in infrastructure will always lag behind the increase in population (at the rate it's going). so at the end of the day things are always gonna get worse no matter what

metro manila is pretty much unfixable IMHO

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Okay, the more I read OP's replies, the more I'm convinced that this is more along the lines of OB's reasoning.

Kayo nalang maglokohan diyan. Suggestion, an idea to solve the MRT train problem and congest EDSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    yeah it's sort of a chicken/egg problem. people complain of poor facilities but they don't wanna pay for good service. so how can you invest in more trains (and proper maintenance) if people aren't gonna pay for it?
    Our MRT/LRT fares here are piss cheap the last time i checked. The previous admin proposed to raise fares i think but of course this was met by a lot of cry babies.

On a related note, i read that the DOTC has a memorandum banning UV Ex vehicles from EDSA.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Our MRT/LRT fares here are piss cheap the last time i checked. The previous admin proposed to raise fares i think but of course this was met by a lot of cry babies.

On a related note, i read that the DOTC has a memorandum banning UV Ex vehicles from EDSA.

yeah last time i took the MRT was in 2014 i think (i parked at trinoma and took MRT to crame coz there's no parking there). it's really cheap! even compared to our asian neighbors

i use mass transit a lot when i'm in the US (bay area). a short bus ride costs $2.10

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post

You can be sure there will be a lot of complaints here from the 1-Utak group.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast