New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    2 weeks ago i took the lrt-1 from munoz to carriedo P22 lang ang fare. i was expecting somewhere around p40-45. super cheap nga.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    My suggestion is to improve and expand the current PNR system to and from Metro Manila (i.e. MM to/from Bulacan/Pampanga and MM to/from Cavite, Laguna, Batangas).

In fact, if I am an advisor the government, I would push for the development of a rolling stock industry. Imagine the number of coaches and railways that our country needs if we are to improve and expand the PNR. Instead of buying abroad, we can manufacture it here.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    i have another idea. add "premium" MRT trains running on the same tracks. so people have a choice. if you don't wanna pay a lot, wait for the jam packed "ordinary" train. if you wanna pay more, ride the premium train.

then add as many premium trains as the market allows. the higher fares should make it profitable even as a business

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    i have another idea. add "premium" MRT trains running on the same tracks. so people have a choice. if you don't wanna pay a lot, wait for the jam packed "ordinary" train. if you wanna pay more, ride the premium train.

then add as many premium trains as the market allows. the higher fares should make it profitable even as a business
    considering the current condition of the mrt, premium trains might come out as plain immoral.

actually, the people running the lrt and the mrt already have petitioned many times in the past, to be allowed to raise fare prices. again and again, they were denied by the powers-that-be.
    currently, these utilities are running at a loss, i believe. guess who's picking up the tab.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    considering the current condition of the mrt, premium trains might come out as plain immoral.

actually, the people running the lrt and the mrt already have petitioned many times in the past, to be allowed to raise fare prices. again and again, they were denied by the powers-that-be.
    currently, these utilities are running at a loss, i believe. guess who's picking up the tab.

there's nothing immoral about flying business class or coach. it all depends on how much you wanna pay. it's the same as riding aircon or non-aircon bus

this is exactly why it might work. there would be no fare increase as long as you ride the ordinary train. actually the ordinary trains would be decongested a bit because some would prefer to ride premium. so it's a win win

but then again something behind my mind tells me this is a stupid idea

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    there's nothing immoral about flying business class or coach. it all depends on how much you wanna pay. it's the same as riding aircon or non-aircon bus

this is exactly why it might work. there would be no fare increase as long as you ride the ordinary train. actually the ordinary trains would be decongested a bit because some would prefer to ride premium. so it's a win win
    The resources (in this case, trains) used for this premium line could've been used to increase the carrying capacity of the standard line.

Unlike airlines or bus companies, the MRT is actually a government-run service. Its objective is to be as equitable as possible to be utilized by as many of the lower income classes as possible.

As much as we'd like zero subsidies on the train operations, the reality is that it's very difficult to make train operations profitable. In fact, most if not all train systems all over the world are subsidized by the government.

"Yes, they're subsidized, but not to the level of the PH!" - which leads us to the question, how much is a reasonable subsidy? Other Asian nations like Hong Kong and Singapore have train fares several times higher than ours, but remember that their spending power is also significantly higher than ours.

At the end of the day, you want to keep the train accessible for most Filipinos. Inevitably you will have to raise rates (and we did last year), but it has to be sensitive to the spending capability of the working class.

Regardless of the level of subsidy, a pressing problem is the inefficient use of the revenues generated. Remember, we're paying for a very anomalous MRT contract (15% annual dollar-denominated return) with subpar operations. To address the problem in the long term, you have to get rid of the anomalous contract and find a proper operator to run and maintain the MRT. This solution sounds very fundamental, but it has been very difficult to achieve and the past administration's DOTC was not up to task. Our new DOTC secretary has been very promising, and fixing the MRT conundrum will be his moment of judgment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; August 2nd, 2016 at 12:30 AM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008

but then again something behind my mind tells me this is a stupid idea
    yespo. you said it.

the flaw in the premium train plan, is that there are simply not enough trains to service the customers. period.
    if some trains were pulled out of the ordinary trips so those who are willing to pay more can ride in comfort, that will result in more ordinary people being displaced from the ordinary trips.
    yes, mrt earnings would probably increase. but it comes at a price. the ordinary rider would be placed at a disadvantage.

a fairer plan, would be to increase fare prices across the board. everybody pays more. mrt earns more. mrt now gets to upgrade itself so's it can service more passengers.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 2nd, 2016 at 12:32 AM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The resources (in this case, trains) used for this premium line could've been used to increase the carrying capacity of the standard line.

Unlike airlines or bus companies, the MRT is actually a government-run service. Its objective is to be as equitable as possible to be utilized by as many of the lower income classes as possible.

As much as we'd like zero subsidies on the train operations, the reality is that it's very difficult to make train operations profitable. In fact, most if not all train systems all over the world are subsidized by the government.

"Yes, they're subsidized, but not ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take note this isn't a separate line. the premium trains run on the same tracks as ordinary. it's gonna work because the premium trains run at the same speed as the ordinary trains.

well the resources for the premium train wouldn't exist in the first place if it wasn't for this "evil" plan. without it all we'd have are the same miserable trains we have now

the point is that it'll enable us to have MORE trains running because that's exactly what we need now, but we can't afford more trains because people aren't willing to pay more. the way i see it it's a deadlock

but i'm aware that it'll evoke scenes from class struggles in dystopian future movies. but hey it's just a mind fart, something to talk about today

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    yespo. you said it.

the flaw in the premium train plan, is that there are simply not enough trains to service the customers. period.
    if some trains were pulled out of the ordinary trips so those who are willing to pay more can ride in comfort, that will result in more ordinary people being displaced from the ordinary trips.
    yes, mrt earnings would probably increase. but it comes at a price. the ordinary rider would be placed at a disadvantage.

a fairer plan, would be to increase fare prices across the board. everybody pays more. mrt earns more. mrt now gets to upgrade itself so's it can service more passengers.

the premium trans are gonna be new trains to be paid for by higher-paying commuters. this is actually where the economics of this plan breaks down LOL

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    sa tingen nyo bakit ayaw itaas ang pasahe ng MRT kahit man lang p5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast