New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    now we're talking

just wondering *dprox do our locals use an english wheel combined with the traditional panel beating to form multiple curves on a surface? here's hoping to hear a straight 'yup, i've seen irregular and complex shapes come out of their shop' other than the 'i know they can, i'm sure they got the skills' type of answer.
    awesome suggestions by the way.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dprox View Post
    If you say that the Gelandewagen is your "inspiration", does that mean that you are open to "creation" and not just "replication"?
    My next question is do you have a background in design and mechanical drawing?
    I am asking this because you will personally need to supervise the fabrication of the body.
    My third question is do you have a knowledge of automechanics -- kahit basic lang.

I designed and built my own semi-boxy way back 2003, inspired by the PUJ and owner type jeeps. It took three months to sketch basic drawings and nine months of supervised fabrication. I scoured Cavite, Quezon, and Laguna for fabricators. The reply from lateros was always the same, ie, they only do PUJs, owners, FXs, Hi-Landers, or Adventure replicas. I discovered later on that they were embarrassed to admit that they did not know how to read working drawings. Our tinsmiths are master sculptors who learned by informal apprenticeship, not by formal education. They have to see what you want built in 3D, and once they know how the surfaces flow and interact, they can execute it perfectly.
    I finally found a shop where the shop-owner, a mechanic, compelled his tinsmith to take the job. Since I designed a vehicle that did not yet exist, I had to sculpt a scale model (full-size is too bulky and expensive) for the latero to appreciate, after which I had to instruct him on how to scale up to full-size. I ended up literally doing full-size drawings on the bare floor.
    The most critical components of the shell are the doors. If I were to assemble a body, I would not trust any local shop with the fabrication of doors, since precision alignment is critical. As a compromise, I will suggest that you get surplus doors of a fairly recent make and free of major repairs. You might need to slightly modify the shape, but it is best not to tamper with basic mechanisms and their internal alignments.
    The parts that you "marry" together are the rolling chassis and the body. Unless you are consulting an auto engineer, I do not recommend assembling a chopsuey chassis from different vehicles. Best to stick to one, like a Terrano or a Pajero if you really want 4x4 performance. The engine+tranny is variable, depending on the amount of power you prefer (more HP means more cost). As with the chassis, it is best to use an engine that already includes the transmission system. If you don't like to tinker, buy the whole lot.
    I would be more than willing to answer further questions -- on one condition: that you create an originally-styled vehicle, not a replica. If so, you can PM me your email ad.
    Hi dprox,

Thanks for answering our forum, when I say an "inspiration" it means it wont be a replica. However, I like the idea that the G-wagon, despite its boxiness is still so elegant and modern. I would like a design that is somewhat has that criteria: boxy yet elegant and modern. We could borrow design elements from the G-wagon such as the round headlights, and a bit of its shape, for instance, and the really smooth finish, but I wouldnt want it to look like it was a replica. Basically, even big car manufacturers tend to borrow design elements from others too, in fact, the old school Pajero's seem to remind me of much of the lines of the G-wagon, which makes me think that it was inspired by that too.

For the size and output, it might more like be an Anfra than the G-wagon. I think the original Anfra had good lines. If it hadnt been sold as a low-cost vehicle, and they were able to place more high-end features into it, its design could be regarded as a classic.

You are right though about me not having any design background. This would be a problem, so in the meantime, Ill have to put this idea aside... especially if you do mention that our tinsmiths have a hard time conceptualizing original concepts.
    Last edited by webmiester; December 4th, 2012 at 11:58 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    How much is your budget? You want to build without mentioning your budget.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    You are right though about me not having any design background. This would be a problem, so in the meantime, Ill have to put this idea aside... especially if you do mention that our tinsmiths have a hard time conceptualizing original concepts.
    *Webmiester

You can ask the Tsikot designers to help with the conceptualizing from sketches to 2D/3D computer modeling.

The 2D/3D CAD files can then be used for:
    - machine cutting wood scale models (to compare designs)
    - printing 1:1 scale on paper (to guide the fabricator)

Oyil's sketches with a G-Wagen vibe:

5. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    I think you should be inspired of the Popular Western TV shows.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    i think you should modify the design more.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    i think you should modify the design more.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Just to share... Locally building anything bigger than a FX is a waste of time!

So based on my personal experience, build a jeep or wrangler!

Local shops' bodies are just too heavy... Even if you get the suspension to carry the load, cornering and pot holes will be a nightmare!

Then you need a really big engine!

9. Join Date
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    Just to share... Locally building anything bigger than a FX is a waste of time!

So based on my personal experience, build a jeep or wrangler!

Local shops' bodies are just too heavy... Even if you get the suspension to carry the load, cornering and pot holes will be a nightmare!

Then you need a really big engine!
    I agree better build a wrangler with its latest model. This is my plan too when I retire and go home to Phils. Please share if you knew a good car builder in the Phils that can imitate a wrangler's body.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast