New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Hi guys,

I want to build my own car. My inspiration is the Mercedes G-class because its design is boxy yet classic, modern, and very class.

First, where do I find someone who can build the body? Can anyone recommend anyone to me?

Next, what kind of engine would you recommend I use. I want to use an economical engine, not a gas or diesel guzzling engine. I want sana gasoline para it can be converted to LPG, and Ill have no problem with smoke belching apprehensions. But I can consider diesel as well. Does anyone have a recommended supplier for this?

Third, What kind of suspension and chassis should I put and where can I get one of those?

Finally, how about interiors and the dashboard?

Thanks so much.

I hope it wont cost as much s a brand new Mercedes G class when done, hehehe

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Seriously... you want to custom build a vehicle to look like a G-Wagen? ... Do you also expect it to drive and ride like G-Wagen?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Buy a Nissan Patrol or Terrano. That's what they most commonly use when making Hummer replicas.

Have a local builder use the interior and running gear and build it into a new body.

AMC have experience doing custom steel work, with the Hammer... if they're still around, maybe they'll be interested in doing a G-Wagen replica?

Otherwise, you'd have to have it molded in fiberglass.

Doing a one-off in fiberglass or hand-beaten in steel is going to be very, very expensive. Especially if you want it to look good.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Re-inventing a wheel is an ambitous endeavor... It would be a lot cheaper and less hassle to buy a secondhand black merket G-class merc.

But if you still want to make one...Alana Motors will probably have the tech capability. Nasa Lucena ang shop but I think you can contact Jappy Alana in Makati area. An AMC Hummer cost about P900k....so probably nasa ganyan din ang range niyan. A SWB Montero (aka Pajero EVO) would be a good donor vehicle (under chassis and engine).

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I've seen a home made G-wagen roaming around Cavite. Modesty aside, I can spot a fake a mile away. There are a lot of body fabricators in Cavite, or further down south. The only question is how much will they charge you for it.

Or why not save-up and buy the real thing? .... :D ..

Does the name Irene ring any bells? ....
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; August 28th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    ^agree. sa cavite dami body fabricators. may nakita pa ko before nakadisplay na for sale na H2 along aguinaldo hi-way...

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    Ampapanget naman ng gawa at mga taste ng mga gumagawa from cavite.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    Yes, sa owner type jeep sila mahusay. Medyo may pagka baduy ang design. Kung replica, mas mahusay doon sa Mac Arthur Hiway, Bgy. Balangcas, Santo Tomas, Pampanga. Mamili ka lang ng kung anong body katulad, fabricate nila yun from front to rear. Sa ibang components, doon ka maghanap sa Bgy. Capalangan, Apalit, Pampanga.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    pangit nga mga replica... halatang halata... sayang lang pera, then baka sakit pa sa ulo mo yan.... i think its better to buy a 2nd hand G CLASS....

but if you are going to build a replica... ENGINE ng G Class na 290 GD TD — OM602DLA29 2.9 L Diesel I5 (turbocharged), 92 kW (123 hp)yung engine ng MB100 pareho ng G CLASS 5cylinder 2.9.... I think nasa 50k lang YOU can buy it at AWONS...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I agree that replicas are not as nice as new ones. There is something that comes along with building our own car though... I once told a friend that I would rather have a painting that isnt as nice but was made by me, than one made by a famous artist. It comes with a sense of pride. I was inspired when Atendido was making their Parehos, Panthers, Carters, and other local makers were churning out their vehicles. They werent exactly replicas or copies, although they had a lot of similarities with known brands. I appreciated their vehicles a lot and unfortunately, they are no longer being made.

The G-class is really nice, but I am not willing to save money for it. I would rather save my money for more affordable 4x4's such as a Fortuner, or a Pajero than a G-class which costs millions even in the 2nd hand market. I think the engine is also too big and too powerful for my daily use, and that its parts are also expensive to maintain. I chose the word "inspired", because when we try to copy something it just doesnt come out so nice. When we try to innovate on the design, such as what the Japanese did (copy American products then innovate them so that they are something new), the result is usually nicer. The G-class is also my model because despite it being so boxy, like an old car, it is still fashionable and class. I have seen a number of locally made AUV's which are pretty well made too. They are not copies although their designs do have similarities with branded units. I agree na baka maraming sakit ng ulo with it. For starters, rust proofing would be a big problem. Registration too would be a problem and smoke belching emission tests (which is why I would prefer something that can run on LPG). So I do want to have an idea of what Ill be facing if I try something like this. Thank you so much for your inputs, I really appreciate them

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast