New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    if i am to infer from the post of those who say that they only use water (i.e. distilled or not) to top off every two weeks or once a month, it seems that the water in the cooling system reaches a point where it regularly & easily evaporates through the reservoir, thus the frequent top-off..

this imo, should not be the case, because the cooling system is supposed to be able to retain the same amount of fluid within months without topping it off, unless there is a leak somewhere..

i believe that the cooling system was designed in such a way that a certain mix of coolant & water is required to prevent it from evaporating faster than it should (i.e. thus eliminating the need for frequent top-offs) because of the raised boiling temperature of the mixture compared to that of water alone. thereby minimizing cooling system maintenance and improving engine heat dissipation..

iirc, ang experience ko kasi with the cars i've maintained for more than two decades now ay never pa ako nagdagdag ng coolant/water mixture sa reservoir more than once every quarter, sometimes even longer. unless, as i've said above, there was a leak somewhere in the cooling system..

just my :twocents: po
    Last edited by slamtaz; November 16th, 2006 at 06:01 AM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I maintain a 50%-50% mix,- our vehicles retain the water-coolant, so I just check every now and then. New cars,- already had the mix,- also just check every now and then....

:starwars:

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    for those Chevy Venture owners who are having overheating problems or engine problems. it could be attributed to your DEX-Cool coolant.

read this...

Dex-Cool continues to cause problems
    Saturday, November 04, 2006

Q: My 2000 Dodge 3500 van with 38,000 miles on it has been virtually trouble free until two weeks ago. The heater stopped working, so I took it to the dealer who has performed all of its services since about 18,000 miles. The thermostat was stuck open, and the cooling system was full of "gunk." They put in a new thermostat and water pump, but also recommended replacing the heater core and radiator. I asked for and received a sample of the gunk. Is there a place where I can get it analyzed? Can something break down over time and contaminate the coolant? They flushed it at 23,000 miles. -- Jill Miller, West Linn

A: There are many analytical laboratories capable of performing the service, but save your money. Despite the previous care given to your van's cooling system, what's broken down over time -- and contaminated the coolant -- is the coolant itself.

General Motors and Texaco introduced the first "extended life coolant," Dex-Cool, 10 years ago. With a recommended service interval of 100,000 miles or five years, it was heralded as a step forward in reducing both maintenance costs and hazardous waste streams. Other manufacturers quickly followed suit.

Experience has shown that Dex-Cool can cause many more problems that it solves.

Early in 2001, this column departed from its usual question-and-answer format to warn: "Technicians all over North America report that Dex-Cool can turn into rusty jelly well before the 60,000 mile mark -- even, in some cases, in as little at 30,000 miles. The jellied coolant is extremely difficult to remove from the system. Depending upon the severity of the problem, the heater core, radiator, and core plugs may need to be removed and/or replaced. Repairs can cost hundreds dollars or more, and aren't easily performed at home."

In the premier issue of Master Technician magazine (www.mastertechmag.com), editor Bob Freudenberger further explains that Dex-Cool is "based on Organic Acid Technology (OAT), and its additive package can keep corrosion away for a very long time indeed.

"The trouble is, this admirable property is defeated by one simple thing: air. If the coolant level in the system should be allowed to drop so that all surfaces aren't continually immersed, oxidation occurs rapidly. The dusty deposits that form accumulate into ugly glop that clogs up the works."

Freudenberger further explains that a primary organic acid in OAT, sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate, is known to soften certain plastics. Given the increasing use of plastics in modern engines -- including waterpump impellers in many Chrysler V-8s -- OAT is now the primary culprit in many of today's cooling system problems.

What to do? If your vehicle is still under warranty, and factory-filled with OAT, have the cooling system checked and serviced regularly, and keep it topped up with OAT to maintain the warranty.

In all other cases, have the OAT coolant removed, and the system thoroughly flushed. Refilling with tried-and-true green antifreeze should work just fine if you don't mind returning to a two-year cooling system service interval.

If you want to stay modern, refill with a coolant meeting European "G-05" standards. These coolants use a Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) that provides the longevity of OAT without its risks.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    madami talagang horror stories about dexcool.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slamtaz View Post
    if i am to infer from the post of those who say that they only use water (i.e. distilled or not) to top off every two weeks or once a month, it seems that the water in the cooling system reaches a point where it regularly & easily evaporates through the reservoir, thus the frequent top-off..

this imo, should not be the case, because the cooling system is supposed to be able to retain the same amount of fluid within months without topping it off, unless there is a leak somewhere..

i believe that the cooling system was designed in such a way that a certain mix of coolant & water is required to prevent it from evaporating faster than it should (i.e. thus eliminating the need for frequent top-offs) because of the raised boiling temperature of the mixture compared to that of water alone. thereby minimizing cooling system maintenance and improving engine heat dissipation..

iirc, ang experience ko kasi with the cars i've maintained for more than two decades now ay never pa ako nagdagdag ng coolant/water mixture sa reservoir more than once every quarter, sometimes even longer. unless, as i've said above, there was a leak somewhere in the cooling system..

just my :twocents: po
    A very good point, I should add.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    a healthy cooling system does not need topping up.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Mga dudes

Question lang...

Sa coolant..

What if 2nd hand lang car mo tapos ung rad mo surplus... SHould u still use coolant?

Sabi-sabi kasi nilalagay lang ang coolang if bago ung cars, if luma na it's better na daw ung distilled water..

If maglalagay ka nman.. db kelangan i-drain mo ung rad mo...

every when naman yun? (2weeks, 1month)????

Thanks!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, you should. Coolant is not only for the radiator, it is also for the rest of the cooling system which involves the water pump, etc.

I mix coolant with distilled drinking water. Check the specific coolant you will be using for the correct mix (unless it's pre-mixed).

You need to drain the whole cooling system. That includes water within the water jackets and other areas. Your mechanic should know how to do this.

Intervals vary with vehicle. Check your owner's manual.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    pano po mag DIY flush ng rad?
    mahirap bang i-DIY ito? or better to have a mechanic do this?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's not that hard. But coolant should be properly disposed of [not flushed down the drain] kaya madalas sa gas station ko na lang pinapagawa. Kasi sabi ni chieffy dati, may mga iniimplement silang policies regarding waste disposal sa mga gas stations.

Ethelyne glycol tastes good but is very poisonous kaya tepok agad ang mga stray animals na makakainiom nito.

Tastes like Kool Aid daw.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Do you use radiator coolant?