New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    gabaster_26, how do you find the GTI seat comfort during ingress/egress and heavy traffic situations? One thing I didn't like with sport sedan seats (e.g. IS350 F-sport) is that thick and hard side bolsters can get uncomfortable especially on those instances.

Also, how is the GTI's ground clearance vs a normal sedan? Do you have to be extra careful on speed humps or uneven parking angles?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

gabaster_26, how do you find the GTI seat comfort during ingress/egress and heavy traffic situations? One thing I didn't like with sport sedan seats (e.g. IS350 F-sport) is that thick and hard side bolsters can get uncomfortable especially on those instances.

Also, how is the GTI's ground clearance vs a normal sedan? Do you have to be extra careful on speed humps or uneven parking angles?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_kills View Post
    Good to see a local GTI owner on board the forums! I asked a few VW sales guys regarding DCC and they confirmed that Dynamic Chassis Control along with "Performance Package" (+10 HP, mechanical LSD, bigger brakes) are not included in the local GTI unfortunately. But after a test drive, I find the GTI more powerful than the declared 220ps somehow.

Looking at UK prices, the local GTI seems less than 10% higher which is a good value compared to other German brands imported to our market. But then, I wish VW PH added all the performance options with their 2.3M asking price.

Comparing the GTI vs WRX, performance aside, I feel the WRX interior is of lower quality plus there are some useful features missing (e.g. parking sensors). But I guess it helps keep prices lower aside from probably cheaper shipping fees vs the GTI which is CBU from Germany.
    I test drove the WRX and the GTI feels much more solid and high quality. The fit/finish of the cabin is superb, including the dials and control layout. I felt like this was a cabin I wouldn't mind spending significant time in. Given that this is my only car, that mattered a lot to me :-)

The GTI is CBU from Germany, correct. So 30% tariffs apply, which is a shame...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012

The side bolsters can be tough if you like to slide your butt into seats, e.g. as you probably would with SUVs or other higher-clearance vehicles. Just like any sports car you'd have to lift your ass into them, which I had to adjust to at first. No problem with the heavy traffic - they're really comfortable.

The ground clearance is a little lower than a normal sedan. My wife has a previous-gen Altis and it's slightly lower. If you check online the altis is about 175mm, the GTI is 153mm. So far I have had no problems with speed humps or parking angles. But I wouldn't push my luck, and I consider myself a naturally careful driver...

The side bolsters can be tough if you like to slide your butt into seats, e.g. as you probably would with SUVs or other higher-clearance vehicles. Just like any sports car you'd have to lift your ass into them, which I had to adjust to at first. No problem with the heavy traffic - they're really comfortable.

The ground clearance is a little lower than a normal sedan. My wife has a previous-gen Altis and it's slightly lower. If you check online the altis is about 175mm, the GTI is 153mm. So far I have had no problems with speed humps or parking angles. But I wouldn't push my luck, and I consider myself a naturally careful driver...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    At first when I saw the ad of volkswagen golf gti on the newspaper I was not interested at all. When I found out the price i told myself thats ridiculously expensive for that plain looking hatchback. Who would buy this? Then I did some research on the history of the Gti and was surprised on how popular this car is in Europe. Read a bunch or reviews. All were positive. To make the story short I went ahead to BGC Volkswagen to see the Gti in person. My first impression was it looks nice on the outside. Not flashy, a sleeper car but has this nice somewhat elegant look to it. When I opened the drivers door and saw the steering wheel, dashboard, gauges and seats I was blown away. Not expecting it to look that nice in person. When I sat down, perfect seating position. I really like the interior. You can see the carbon fiber accents on the dash and on the side doors. Very elegant and sporty at the same time. The combination of the gauges, dashboard, steering wheel and those fabric seats all made me decide this would now be on my wishlist.

Also visited subaru and mini that same day.

First stop Subaru. Checked out the Sti and wrx. Both these cars exterior looked exactly the same minus the sti badge and bigger brakes, rims and wing. Every else the same. The interior and seats looked ok on the sti, more plain on the wrx. Cannot compare to Gti. It wins in the interior department. But the Sti in blue really strikes me. I love the look. But reading on magazine and internet on how the engine is an 8 yr old design and will be changed for 2017 model, that would be mid next yr kept me from pulling the trigger.

Next stop was Mini. Checked out the cooper S. Looks nice outside but interior is too busy. Looks cheap compared to Golf Gti's interior.

Also considering the Mazda Miata and Ford mustang GT. But leaning more towards the Gti and Miata. Never had a convertible before and it would be perfect for our twisty roads here in the province. But a.so thinking of the 250lbs of torque on the Gti that I'll be missing if I get the Miata. Mustang GT looks aggressive but don't think i will use it that much compared to the two cars. Already have a daily driver so this is gonna be a toy car for me. What do you think? Can I get more feedbacks from Gti owners. How do you like your car? By the way, I cant find in any reviews if Philippine version Gti has Launch control? Or is it like included since we have DSG transmission? Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo168 View Post
    At first when I saw the ad of volkswagen golf gti on the newspaper I was not interested at all. When I found out the price i told myself thats ridiculously expensive for that plain looking hatchback. Who would buy this? Then I did some research on the history of the Gti and was surprised on how popular this car is in Europe. Read a bunch or reviews. All were positive. To make the story short I went ahead to BGC Volkswagen to see the Gti in person. My first impression was it looks nice on the outside. Not flashy, a sleeper car but has this nice somewhat elegant look to it. When I opened the drivers door and saw the steering wheel, dashboard, gauges and seats I was blown away. Not expecting it to look that nice in person. When I sat down, perfect seating position. I really like the interior. You can see the carbon fiber accents on the dash and on the side doors. Very elegant and sporty at the same time. The combination of the gauges, dashboard, steering wheel and those fabric seats all made me decide this would now be on my wishlist.

First stop Subaru. Checked out the Sti and wrx. Both these cars exterior looked exactly the same minus the sti badge and bigger brakes, rims and wing. Every else the same. The interior and seats looked ok on the sti, more plain on the wrx. Cannot compare to Gti. It wins in the interior department. But the Sti in blue really strikes me. I love the look. But reading on magazine and internet on how the engine is an 8 yr old design and will be changed for 2017 model, that would be mid next yr kept me from pulling the trigger.

Next stop was Mini. Checked out the cooper S. Looks nice outside but interior is too busy. Looks cheap compared to Golf Gti's interior.

Also considering the Mazda Miata and Ford mustang GT. But leaning more towards the Gti and Miata. Never had a convertible before and it would be perfect for our twisty roads here in the province. But a.so thinking of the 250lbs of torque on the Gti that I'll be missing if I get the Miata. Mustang GT looks aggressive but don't think i will use it that much compared to the two cars. Already have a daily driver so this is gonna be a toy car for me. What do you think? Can I get more feedbacks from Gti owners. How do you like your car? By the way, I cant find in any reviews if Philippine version Gti has Launch control? Or is it like included since we have DSG transmission? Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.
    This should be in the car comparison forum.

Fun car? Toy car? Mustang v8 without a shadow of a doubt. Looks,power, control ,ride, pedigree, satisfaction of ownership. Every review is glowing and positive. It puts a smile on my face everytime and i literally look for reasons to drive it (traffic or not).

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Biased opinion ^^^^^

Get the Golf GTi. It has more awards and accolades. German vs American.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Biased opinion ^^^^^

Get the Golf GTi. It has more awards and accolades. German vs American.
    Well he asked for opinions ;)

But yeah they all have their pluses and minuses. Its how it rates in your personal scorecard that matters.
    Last edited by EQAddict; June 22nd, 2015 at 10:12 AM.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I will be using it more on the weekends with lots of twisties in my area. Not much straight away roads.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by jojo168 View Post

Yes, it does have launch control.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Thats good news!! Thanks bro. Its beginning to be a golf Gti vs Miata decision for me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast