New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    you should have no problem with gear oil in a honda tranny pero it won't be optimal and might cause your milage to suffer.

you really have to drop the tranny and clutch to replace the rear crank oil seal of the engine. it's a pain in the ass job to do just to replace one seal kaya normally when we replace clutches in the shop we advise to replace that narin para isang gawaan lang.

if you leave the oil dropping on the clutch, expect to have to replace it almost immidiately because it will slide much much faster.
    "drop the tranny" as in they really disassembled the tranny, removed all the gears and put 'em back together like a chinese puzzle?

'coz that's what they did. they also said the seal needed replacement as the clutch would go out much faster. and it seemed like a good idea, no problems so far. i was just shocked by the 4000-peso "transmission overhaul" labor charge. when all they did was take out the gears and wash 'em in gasoline. that was pure profit! (no materials cost whatsoever).

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    since we're talking about transmissions, is there a device for flushing the gearoil from a manual tranny that is equivalent to the Transtech ATF flushing device used by Mancor? O talagang drain and replace lang for a manual tranny?
    AFAIK, you don't need a machine to flush a m/t because the gear oil is just used to bathe the gears. It does not go through a pump or through a torque converter wherein it cannot be drained out when you remove the pan unless you use a machine similar to Transtech.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    AFAIK, you don't need a machine to flush a m/t because the gear oil is just used to bathe the gears. It does not go through a pump or through a torque converter wherein it cannot be drained out when you remove the pan unless you use a machine similar to Transtech.
    oh okay, understood. thanks very much

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I used to read around here that you could 'gargle' the system if you wanted to. Basically drain old fluid, refill with el cheapo gear oil, drive for a while, drain el cheapo stuff, fill with proper fluids.
    Last edited by OTEP; November 17th, 2006 at 02:24 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    I used to read around here that if you could 'gargle' the system if you wanted to. Basically drain old fluid, refill with el cheapo gear oil, drive for a while, drain el cheapo stuff, fill with proper fluids.
    that's what I have in mind too, I just thought (long shot) that maybe such a flush system also exists for M/T trannys.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    WHAT? kalokohan yan to open up the tranny and wash the gears. there is absolutely no reason to do that. you only break open the bell housing if you need to replace one of the gears or synchros.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    *speedyfix,

well, i was young and foolish.
    that's why i said i felt defrauded there.

if only all shops were like yours!

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Transmission Inquiry