New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Yung brake fluid po ay ginagamit lamang na pangtulak ng brake pistons, bumabalik po ito sa reservoir pag binitawan na ang preno. Kaya matagal bago ito mabawasan.

Kung hindi magkaroon ng tagas ang brake lines/system mo, baka mauna pang maubos ang brake pads kesa sa brake fluid.

Sa matagal na babaan sa parking, para bawas wear sa brake pads, oks yung L/1 or 2.
    Yep. magbabawas lang brake fluid mo kapag may leak pero normal lang na bababa ang level nito kapag napudpod na ang brake pads mo.

pero every 50k dapat palit din ng brake fluid.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehehe nalalayo na tayo...Di ka naman makakatakbo ng 20 kph pababa ng parking ramp ng mall and di naman aabot ng 10 to 15 mins to get out of it. may matarik na ramp yun sa trinoma express ramp ata tawag nila dun and it exits at north ave down to a pedestrian crossing, now this is where you must use the L2 or D2 to slow you down, baka kasi di kumagat brakes mo eh tawiran ng tao ang tumbok mo. i simply use the D2 to know if it's still shifting and staying in that gear... hehehehe. i have an old 16 yo AT car. you see it's still the driver's preference whether to use the low gear or just use D and let the brakes do the slowing down. To me it's more on safety rather than thinking of whether to wear your clutch or your brake pads.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Hello mga tsikoteers...Kung ok lang ba ilipat ko from D to 2 habang tumatakbo(below 60kph) paakyat ng cannon road going to baguio..what should i do para di mahirapan ang makina?Car is Toyota revo VX200 A/T with overdrive,4 speed.Thanks

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    No need. As per the manual attached by woohoo, selecting L will put you in 1st gear with no possibility of shifting up. 2 will allow the tranny to use either 1st or 2nd gear. OD is only applicable in D (1st - 4th gear). Having the O/D turned OFF will only allow you 1st - 3rd gear in D.

The last gear is usually the O/D.
    Just recently have I realized that the above is not the case in our Avanza A/T.

Parang 5th gear pala ang O/D niya, so contrary to oj88's statement, having the O/D turned OFF will only allow you 1st to 4th (not 3rd) gear in D.
    Last edited by woohoo; September 15th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009

Parang 5th gear pala ang O/D niya, so contrary to oj88's statement, having the O/D turned OFF will only allow you 1st to 4th (not 3rd) gear in D.
    all,
    if i'm not mistaken, the transmission we are talking about is manufactured in what used to be borg-warner, japan and now aisin warner who supplies transmissions and transaxles to volvo and jeep, yes to volvo and jeep and who knows who else. that was in 1990 when i saw it at the factory. the automatic transmissions they make with lock up and o/d is programmed to shift to 2nd gear while on start up from a standstill. they called it "anti squat" to reduce the aft of the car from lowering from the torque of the shift shock. then it would, by default shift accordingly in relation to engine coolant temperature, vehicle speed and throttle opening. lock up occurs at around 87 degrees fahrenheit and on d range with vehicle speed from around 35 mph. o/d occurs at around the same engine coolant temperature, about 60% throttle and speeds from around 37 mph. the need for 2 range is for icy roads, sandy area, pulling trailers where you need to limit your speed or steep downhill where you need to augment your deceleration capability. L range is for pulling something (seldom) from a standstill e.g. an incapacitated vehicle that had been stuck in place for quite sometime where you don't know if it will budge. other than that, just use D range for normal driving and 2 range for steep, long and prolonged downhill. if everything else fails, read the owner's manual. if not learn how to read or take time to read it.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I wouldn't think so. If the automatic transmission is spec'd to have 4-speed, the last gear is usually the OD gear. Otherwise, if what you say is true, it will be spec'd as 5-speed A/T (like the newer Hondas).

Check out the gear ratios on the link below. Notice that the 4-speed A/T has no entry for 5th gear. http://www.nbt-brunei.com/cars/avanza/spec.asp

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I wouldn't think so. If the automatic transmission is spec'd to have 4-speed, the last gear is usually the OD gear. Otherwise, if what you say is true, it will be spec'd as 5-speed A/T (like the newer Hondas).

Check out the gear ratios on the link below. Notice that the 4-speed A/T has no entry for 5th gear. http://www.nbt-brunei.com/cars/avanza/spec.asp
    That's what I thought at first. Yes, the tables do not state the gear ratio for O/D, but how can this be explained when using D:

Zero to 12.5kph - 1st gear
    at 12.5kph, it shifts (to 2nd gear, of course)
    at 25kph, it shifts (to 3rd gear)
    at 37.5kph, it shifts (to 4th gear)
    if O/D is on, the RPM goes down a notch when the car reaches about 65kph.
    So what gear is that, then? Can someone please enlighten me?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    That's what I thought at first. Yes, the tables do not state the gear ratio for O/D, but how can this be explained when using D:

Zero to 12.5kph - 1st gear
    at 12.5kph, it shifts (to 2nd gear, of course)
    at 25kph, it shifts (to 3rd gear)
    at 37.5kph, it shifts (to 4th gear)
    if O/D is on, the RPM goes down a notch when the car reaches about 65kph.
    So what gear is that, then? Can someone please enlighten me?
    That's the torque converter lock-up clutch doing its job. The lock-up clutch engages the two sides of the torque converter when it is nearly at the same speed to reduce power loss due to fluid coupling.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007

I tried to drive with O/D Off this morning, but traffic wouldn't permit me to go above 40kph (3rd gear) :rant: so I couldn't determine if it would shift to 4th gear (I noticed, though, that it shifts at a higher RPM with my regular mode of driving, so it's fair to wait for it to shift at, say, 45 to 50kph on O/D Off mode).

I'll try it again this afternoon, on another route that will hopefully have less traffic.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    That's the torque converter lock-up clutch doing its job. The lock-up clutch engages the two sides of the torque converter when it is nearly at the same speed to reduce power loss due to fluid coupling.
    OIC. So that would lead to the conclusion that the Avanza indeed has a lock-up clutch. All right! :clap:

Thanks, sir oj88!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Questions regarding A/T- D, 2, L?