New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I just bought a toyota innova g a/t. My previous car is a corolla gli a/t. My questions relates to the following gears: D, 2 and L

During the test drive, the toyota agent told me that even if the car is climbing a steep road, the stick shift should stay at D. 2 and L are for downhill driving. His he correct? I'm confused since with my corolla gli a/t, i use D for normal plain road. While 2 for steep road. I have never used L, sine I do not know what that is for.

Please clarify me on this matter. Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    I just bought a toyota innova g a/t. My previous car is a corolla gli a/t. My questions relates to the following gears: D, 2 and L

During the test drive, the toyota agent told me that even if the car is climbing a steep road, the stick shift should stay at D. 2 and L are for downhill driving. His he correct? I'm confused since with my corolla gli a/t, i use D for normal plain road. While 2 for steep road. I have never used L, sine I do not know what that is for.

for me i use 2 when climbing a steep road around 30kph pataas tto avoid stalling and para hindi mabitin. and if going downhill at speeds around 30kph din.

L naman i use it kapag sobrang pataas na road na hindi ka makakapatakbo ng mabilis at kailangan mo na mag stay sa 1st gear ang tranny mo para hindi ka mabitin. and for engine breaking sa sobrang pababang mga kalsada.

2 is designed para ang pag shift ng transmission ay hanggang 2nd gear lang.

L naman is para mag stay ito sa 1st gear lang at hindi mag shishift pa

HTH

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    L stands for Low Gear, you will rarely use it unless you live in Baguio or similar places. But gear 2 can handle most inclines. Not familiar with Innova A/T but if there's overdrive button, you can also use that one without having the downshift to 2. You need to use engine brake as opposed to using the brakes when going downhill for long periods since using your brakes will burn them out if you keep on using them for prolonged period.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The Owner's Guide/Manual is your friend, bro...

I almost never downshifted to 2 (much less L or 1) when I climbed Baguio on my Avanza A/T. Pag feeling ko mabibitin, dun lang ako nag-downshift or I just turned the O/D off for more torque.

Pagbaba naman, puro D na lang, I let the car use engine brake when necessary. Weeeee!!! Sarap mang-overtake sa Marcos Highway! hehehe.

Sabi sa manual, huwag daw magtatagal sa 2 or L, baka mag-overheat ang transmission. Masasanay ka rin sa pag-handle ng modern A/T technology vehicles...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    overdrive is used on highspeeds. parang ito yung nag enable and mag disable ng 4th gear or last gear sa mga AT.

dapat ang overdrive or OD is laging naka on para tipid sa gas.

IMO OD has noting to do with engine breaking. sobrang bilis naman kung engine break ng 3rd gear.

:peace:

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post

climbing steep roads? D has enough power unless you're starting from a complete stop to climb a steep road. btw, steep roads for me is incline more than 30 degrees. barely use 2 and L but 3 yes for engine braking during downhill driving and sometimes during uphill overtaking .

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    PASAKAY! heheheh

ok lang ba to shift from 2 to D while the vehicle is in motion? or D to 2 (from flat ,the vehicle is reducing speed then starting to climb, say with passenger of 4)?

sensya na po sa tanong..

tia vic

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gremz View Post
    PASAKAY! heheheh

ok lang ba to shift from 2 to D while the vehicle is in motion? or D to 2 (from flat ,the vehicle is reducing speed then starting to climb, say with passenger of 4)?

sensya na po sa tanong..

tia vic
    ginagawa ko yan sa pajero ko pag pumupunta ng moa, from 2 tapos d pag stable na. pwde naman yun eh

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by s_quilicot View Post
    overdrive is used on highspeeds. parang ito yung nag enable and mag disable ng 4th gear or last gear sa mga AT.

dapat ang overdrive or OD is laging naka on para tipid sa gas.

IMO OD has noting to do with engine breaking. sobrang bilis naman kung engine break ng 3rd gear.

:peace:
    You are right to an extent that it saves fuel because OD is the the highest gear available. But going up hill you need to turn it of so that your tranny will not shift to the highest gear and cause it to overheat. If OD is off then it can only shift to third or fourth depending on your tranny configuration and still be in a 1:1 ratio as opposed to a .XX:1 ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumusut_Amige View Post
    climbing steep roads? D has enough power unless you're starting from a complete stop to climb a steep road. btw, steep roads for me is incline more than 30 degrees. barely use 2 and L but 3 yes for engine braking during downhill driving and sometimes during uphill overtaking .
    It's not a matter of how much power but how that power in converted to forward movement. Would the vehicle have an easier time going up the incline with the lower gear or the higher gear? If you leave it on D with the OD on it can overheat the transmission. The best thing to do is know the gear ratios of your transmission and the max speed each gear can hold. I wouldn't go up a steep incline and leave it on D if my car is struggling to go up because it shifts up to a higher gear. As an example my truck has the following ratio 3.842, 2.353, 1.529, 1, .839 going up a hil I turn off OD to get a 1:1 ratio as opposed to a .839:1 to preserve my transmission. It must work since I've never had a transmission go bad in 5 AT vehicles except on the used car I bought which already had a bad transmission.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    basically D is for plain drive, 2 is more usable in slight incline, or traffic, and L is used for climbing or carrying a load uphill... what changes in this mode are not the gears it self but rather the transmission traction with the engine remember that all modes have 1st gear and its the same 1st gear in all modes... in mode L, the transmission puts more grip to the engine via torque converter to enable it to move the vehicle from steep incline or carrying load.. try to put the gear shift from P to L as fast as you can and you will notice the vehicle will nudge harder than when you put it at D.. it is because the transmission grips the engine much harder

in mode D, even if you turn of O/D (so as not to "reach the highest gear") the highest gear will never be reached if your speed is not enough especially while in an inclined road.. so to prevent the engine from over revving, you may use L to have more grip..

O/D is just there to give you (the driver) the manual control over the transmission.. this is already replaced with new versions where you have +/- signs where you can control the shifting "manually"..

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Questions regarding A/T- D, 2, L?