New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    thanks this is very useful post to me,,,btw how much na ba ang full tank ng pregio????

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tama silang lahat, just put OD sa on....

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    tama , on lang lagi yung od. yung power naman parang kabaligtaran ng od, pag on sya parang babad sa lower gear. parang pag gusto mong humataw hindi mag shift sa high gear( base on my observation).....

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Mga sir, I have been driving a toyota corolla gli a/t. What is overdrive? Saan ba ang botton nya? Yung nasa side ba nang stick shift? I am also buying an innova vvti g a/t, saan ba ang overdrive botton nya?

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Generally speaking, overdrive (OD) is the highest gear in the transmission. Most automatic transmissions have three speeds and overdrive (fourth speed). Overdrive allows the engine to operate at a lower rpm for a given road speed. This allows the vehicle to realize better fuel efficiency, and often quieter operation on the highway. When you switch it on, you allow the transmission to shift into overdrive mode after the certain speed is reached (usually 70+ km/h, 45+ mph) depending on the load). When it is off, the transmission shifting is limited to the lower gears. For normal, operation of the overdrive should be enabled only if the average speed is above 70 km/h (approx. 43 MPH). It may be necessary to switch it off if the vehicle is being operated in a mountainous area.

The automatic transmission automatically shifts from OD to third gear when more load is present. When less load is present, it shifts back to OD. Under certain conditions, e.g.: driving uphill or towing a trailer, the transmission may "hunt" between OD and the third gear, shifting back and forth. In this case, switching it off can help the transmission to 'decide' para hindi shift ng shift ang tranny mo. It may also be advantageous to switch it off if engine is desired, for example, driving downhill para pigil ang takbo. Your vehicle's owner's manual has information and procedures regarding such situations.

* attyallanlatras
    If your car equipped w/ OD it should have a marked OD on the gearshift or either a OD button on the shiftknob. Some other car's w/ OD equipped like this D, d3, 2, 1.....so the D is the OD. If you see one of this in your car then you have OD.
    Last edited by v6dreamer; November 27th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why is it called "OD" or "overdrive"? If it is just another higher gear, why don't they call it "4th gear"?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    4th gear, overdrive -- doesn't really make a difference, as long as you're talking about the highest forward gear in a 4-speed A/T. Same thing if it's a 5-speed A/T or M/T; in general, if it's the highest forward gear available, with an extra high overall gear ratio that reduces torque, then it's the overdrive gear.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; November 27th, 2008 at 01:45 PM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Generally speaking, overdrive (OD) is the highest gear in the transmission. Most automatic transmissions have three speeds and overdrive (fourth speed). Overdrive allows the engine to operate at a lower rpm for a given road speed. This allows the vehicle to realize better fuel efficiency, and often quieter operation on the highway. When you switch it on, you allow the transmission to shift into overdrive mode after the certain speed is reached (usually 70+ km/h, 45+ mph) depending on the load). When it is off, the transmission shifting is limited to the lower gears. For normal, operation of the overdrive should be enabled only if the average speed is above 70 km/h (approx. 43 MPH). It may be necessary to switch it off if the vehicle is being operated in a mountainous area.

The automatic transmission automatically shifts from OD to third gear when more load is present. When less load is present, it shifts back to OD. Under certain conditions, e.g.: driving uphill or towing a trailer, the transmission may "hunt" between OD and the third gear, shifting back and forth. In this case, switching it off can help the transmission to 'decide' para hindi shift ng shift ang tranny mo. It may also be advantageous to switch it off if engine is desired, for example, driving downhill para pigil ang takbo. Your vehicle's owner's manual has information and procedures regarding such situations.

* attyallanlatras
    If your car equipped w/ OD it should have a marked OD on the gearshift or either a OD button on the shiftknob. Some other car's w/ OD equipped like this D, d3, 2, 1.....so the D is the OD. If you see one of this in your car then you have OD.
    I have noticed a button on the side of the stick shift and after I pushed it, my dashboard indicates "O/D OFF." Now I understand what that button is for.

By the way, I sometimes place the stick shift to N especially when the vehicle is about to stop around 7 or 6 meters away from the car in front of me. Am I doing it right? or should I wait for the vehicle to have a full stop using the brakes, before I will place it to N.

Thanks for the relpy, anyway.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    I have noticed a button on the side of the stick shift and after I pushed it, my dashboard indicates "O/D OFF." Now I understand what that button is for.

By the way, I sometimes place the stick shift to N especially when the vehicle is about to stop around 7 or 6 meters away from the car in front of me. Am I doing it right? or should I wait for the vehicle to have a full stop using the brakes, before I will place it to N.

Thanks for the relpy, anyway.
    Just left alone into D you dont to shift gear to neutral....remember everything automatic(well sort of).

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    First time kong mag-drive ng automatic. My car is Kia Carens. It's A/T comprises of Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive. It also has a Sports Mode (with signs + and -), where you can manually shift up to 4th gear. Shifting down can be done automatically or manually.

It has no OD mark or hold button.

When driving I put it to Drive always. I shift to Sports Mode when driving downhill to control the speed or to engine brake.

:car: [SIZE="1"]3822[/SIZE]
    Last edited by j_avonni; November 28th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
over drive & hold  button para saan?