New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Mga bossing patulong naman newbie lang. Nagpark kasi ako sa basement ng isang building sa Commonwealth near St. Peter's Church yesterday nung palabas na ko sobrang taas ng paahon. At first hindi nakaya ng oto ko ang paahon so i tried to shift it sa low gear (L) pero ayaw pumasok galit na galit ang makina at kumakamot ang gulong. So what i did was umatras pabalik sa basement para kumuha ng bwelo and i activated the overdrive. Finally nakaahon ako. My worry is after this may naamoy ako na parang sunog na goma. Is it the ATF or nagoverheat and tranny ko or gulong lang yun na naginit sa sobrang kamot? Paadvise naman hindi kasi ako mapakali baka nasira ang tranny ko. TIA.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Its just a burn rubber. Dont worry your tranny is very much okey. Anyway, go easy on uphill unless your engine is a brawler.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Its just a burn rubber. Dont worry your tranny is very much okey. Anyway, go easy on uphill unless your engine is a brawler.
    Thanks v6dreamer. My other concern is that it does not shift to low gear which is "L" right? is there something wrong with my tranny or it is just the stick shift? Thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can test this by putting your tranny in L and driving around. If your tranny still shifts to a higher gear as you speed up then you might have a problem. If your tranny stays in one gear then no worries.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Were you shifting while you were stepping on the gas very hard? It might be your tranny saving you since if you are revving the engine very high as you spin the tires and shift to a lower gear you are more likely to cause tranny damage. The last thing you should be doing going up a steep incline is using overdrive as that allows the engine to go to the highest gear. Going up steep slippery inclines it is better to be light on the gas to prevent wheel slip.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Were you shifting while you were stepping on the gas very hard? It might be your tranny saving you since if you are revving the engine very high as you spin the tires and shift to a lower gear you are more likely to cause tranny damage. The last thing you should be doing going up a steep incline is using overdrive as that allows the engine to go to the highest gear. Going up steep slippery inclines it is better to be light on the gas to prevent wheel slip.
    No i was not shifting while stepping on the gas. I was on a full stop when i tried to shift it to "L" but in vain. Thanks.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You can test, if you are in L. Count the number of shifts it makes when you're in L, and compare it to its intended gear (2nd or 1st). So if you have a 4-speed auto, if L is equal to 1st gear, there should be 3 shifts when in D, but if you leave the shifter in L, it should not upshift unless L also includes 2nd gear.

You should be fine, you said your tires squealed, yun ang amoy sunog.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    You can test, if you are in L. Count the number of shifts it makes when you're in L, and compare it to its intended gear (2nd or 1st). So if you have a 4-speed auto, if L is equal to 1st gear, there should be 3 shifts when in D, but if you leave the shifter in L, it should not upshift unless L also includes 2nd gear.

You should be fine, you said your tires squealed, yun ang amoy sunog.
    Thanks man but the trouble is that I can't shift it to "L." only to "D" "P" "N" and "R." Am really puzzled if the problem is with the tranny or just the shifter. Thanks again.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    This transmission does use vaccuum to shift? If it is your problem could be in a vaccuum line or the "shift modulator". This could also be because the filter and fluid need changing. If this is the case, take it somewhere and have it flushed it.
    If hasn't used vacuum to shift then your transmission one is controlled by a cable and the valve body, it probably just needs a good filter and fluid change done on it right now, its not picking up the fluid fast enough to enter the transmission, and this is causing it to not shift right, have it changed ,and have the bands adjusted while your at it, and it will shift a lot better. Good luck, hope this help.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    This transmission does use vaccuum to shift? If it is your problem could be in a vaccuum line or the "shift modulator". This could also be because the filter and fluid need changing. If this is the case, take it somewhere and have it flushed it.
    If hasn't used vacuum to shift then your transmission one is controlled by a cable and the valve body, it probably just needs a good filter and fluid change done on it right now, its not picking up the fluid fast enough to enter the transmission, and this is causing it to not shift right, have it changed ,and have the bands adjusted while your at it, and it will shift a lot better. Good luck, hope this help.
    I really don't know but to make it sure as you suggested, I will just bring the car to a shop and have the tranny checked. Thanks to all your suggestion. God Bless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AT Not shifting to low gear