New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    I've only driven automatic transmission cars. I'm about to buy my first manual trans car. I'm new in the country and I don't want to call up anyone to drive the car out of the dealer for me.

Any tips for me on how to drive a manual? Technically, I know how to do it because I've played videogames The basics would be, press the clutch and then move the stick.

Since there is no "park" gear unlike the ones in automatic, how do you park the car? Do I put it in neutral and lift the rear brake? Or leave it in first geat and lift the rear brake?

Another tip someone gave me is to press the brake before starting the engine. Keep the brakes pressed while you switch from neutral to first.

I'll probably get the hang of it.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Driving a Manual Transmission would change your orientation if your used in driving an A/T. since your "left foot & your right hand" would be put to work once again.

is it like when starting the engine, or coming from a standstill? in the former, there's no need. just make sure its in neutral & the parking brake is engaged. while on the latter, yup he's right..its a technique to prevent the car from "backing-up"

when running, don't rest ur foot on the clutch pedal coz this will cause premature wear on ur clutch disc

when parking the car just put it neutral and engage the parking brake. i don't recommend putting it in first gear , this a habit of some drivers but sometimes when they start the car they forget that the gear is in 1st, what happens is it jerks forward and they bump the car or the wall in front.

when shifting, press the clutch all the way down to prevent grinding the gears.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tryo to keep a light foot on the gas pedal since engine response is much quicker for a manual vs. automatic tranny.

when parking your car in an inclined position, you may place the stick shift on 1st gear as a precaution should your handbrake fail.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    don't forget to dip the clutch when coming to a stop or else the engine will stall! using the parking brake may help immensely when you're stopped on an incline (a potentially extremely stressful experience).

good luck, there's really no other way to learn driving a manny tranny than going out and practicing and practicing.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    um, this might be overkill..but how about enrolling in a driving school refresher course?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just follow the tips above and keep them in mind.

good luck!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    another thing.
    dont switch ur aircon too cold.. sa sobrang nginig mamatayan ka sa clutch.hehe. la lang..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    shift gears on 3000 rpm for gas fed vehicles
    and 2500 on diesel fed vehicles

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when starting the car, press the clutch all the way down before turning the key in the ignition. i think this is in the owner's manual.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    tama si ssaloon, i think its for a safety purpose, depress clutch before starting the car. para di siya mag jerk forward.

for hyundai elantras required siya, di mag start engine kung di depressed ang clutch.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Manual Transmission Driving Techniques