New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still a bit confused. To break it down step by step:

1) put key in.
    2) press the clutch
    3) turn the key
    4) press brake
    5) shift from Neutral to 1st gear.

on step 3, do I need to keep the clutch down while I turn the key or do I let go of the clutch and then turn the key? If the car is parked in Neutral, I don't have to press the brake anymore while I start the car, is this correct? But I do have to press it as I shift from Neutral to 1st.

A refresher course sounds like a good idea but I don't feel like paying big money just to learn how to use the clutch. I mean, that could be another accessories I can put in my car.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    by experience, what I do is check the shift gear if it is in neutral and also if the handbrake is ON. if it is, then I turn the ignition key to crank the engine ( no press on clutch or brake pedal here )......

then I fully press the clutch, engage to first gear and slowly depress the clutch while in motion....

once tachometer starts reading 3K, I press again the clutch to increase the gear to 2nd.... and so on to increase speed....

the beauty of manual tranny is best observe when overtaking on a two-lane highway...... depending on ur current speed, usually the 3rd gear will do, stay on that gear till u see tachometer needle reach 5 K RPM before changing to 4rth gear.....am sure by that time, nakaover take ka na....

Also do not leave your car in a 1st gear or 2nd gear when parked, use instead the hand brake..... it might damage ur tranny if u forgot to disengage it when starting..... I read somewhere that the stopper for the tranny gear is just a small cylinder that is easily breakable....

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    me, i fully press the clutch while turning the key

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Best tip: enroll in a driving school for a short course on driving manual tranny cars.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yeah, you get the chance to trash their car with no liability hehehe :D

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    and it's only 3000 pesos ;)

7. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    theyre right. though u have said u had experience in driving matic tranny cars, on manual tranny its an entirely different thing when it comes to shifting/making the car run. like what the other guys said, enrolling in a driving school wud be ur best bet. do that first before buying ur new car.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    at least that way you prevent destroying your transmission when you crash the gears when having missed shifts.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by ssaloon
    when starting the car, press the clutch all the way down before turning the key in the ignition. i think this is in the owner's manual.
    akala ko lahat ng car hindi mag start kung di mo depress ang clutch?! :confused: I've owned cars from 1989+ lahat sila depress clutch or car wont start. Ang alam ko, older cars, like way older cars, doesnt require to have the clutch depressed. [?]

If you are making a habit to leave your tranny in gear when parked, dont forget that you have it in gear when you start the car, or else....

as for me, I never made it a habit to put it in gear when parked. I only do it on downhill and uphill parking.

driving school would be a great investment

10. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    bakit kelangan naka tapak sa clutch kapag i-start ang manual tranny na auto, dba pwede nasa neutral lang?
    or for safety measure lang ang pagtapak sa clutch before starting?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Manual Transmission Driving Techniques