New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Tumitingin-tingin ako ng mga bagong kotse for future getting a brand new car (looking fo AT) then napansin ko itong CVT, ano bang mas okay 'yung normal na AT o CVT? Nagresearch rin ako ng konti at madami akong nabasa na pangit ang CVT. Ano ba difference nila?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rickymartin View Post
    Tumitingin-tingin ako ng mga bagong kotse for future getting a brand new car (looking fo AT) then napansin ko itong CVT, ano bang mas okay 'yung normal na AT o CVT? Nagresearch rin ako ng konti at madami akong nabasa na pangit ang CVT. Ano ba difference nila?

CVT - for smooth transition of speeds specially at low speed or traffic situation.
    Traditional AT - good power transmission between crank assembly but less in smoothness. This is good in climbing & sudden acceleration.

Both have their own advantages & disadvantages kaya kumporme rin sa prefference mo sa car.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Same options I'm comparing. For me they are still the same ATs, the only huge difference now is the durability of a CVT. I read so many bad durability issues on CVT. Hindi pa kasi tried and tested gaya ng conventional ATs. So if you like smooth and fast shifting go for the CVT but if you prefer durability I would suggest that you choose the conventional AT.

As of this stage, I guess CVTs still have their flaws. Para bang medyo malayo pa sa perfect design compared sa conventional na marami na rin nagawang improvements para maging durable siya.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Lots of info here: HowStuffWorks "How CVTs Work"

We have a traditional AT (Vios) and a CVT (Mirage) at home. My wife prefers the CVT because of its smoother power delivery. Since I used to drive stick I like the kick of the traditional AT.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    A car with CVT will likely be more fuel efficient as it will continuously match the power band and/or the efficiency of the engine at any given speed (within limits of the car, of course). As for performance, all else being equal, a car equipped with CVT will out-accelerate an equivalent A/T car because of this continuous and efficient energy transfer. Of course, assuming that the PCM electronics can be set or is smart enough to distinguish between an eco run and a sport run.

As for reliability, I think it's safe to assume that most modern CVTs that came out in the last 5 or so years are typically more reliable compared to models that came out 10-15 years ago. I keep reading about those older CVTs starting to exhibit issues like noise, judder, sliding or problems typically associated with the CVT belt. Wear and tear is especially accelerated if the transmission wasn't taken cared of properly or if the owner used the wrong transmission fluid kind or type (which is a common mistake).

Traditional A/Ts on the other hand has had time to mature so if you really take good care of it, it may very well last the whole life of the car without issues.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Tinitignan kasi namin 'yung Corolla Altis at Lancer EX GT-A maganda kasi kaso CVT pareho, so mukhang mag Lancer 1.6 glx or mr na lang. Vios sana pwede kaso hindi gusto ng kapatid ko exterior.

Sabi naman mas maganda sa mga malalaking makina/horsepower ang CVT, don't know how true it is.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    A car with CVT will likely be more fuel efficient as it will continuously match the power band and/or the efficiency of the engine at any given speed (within limits of the car, of course). As for performance, all else being equal, a car equipped with CVT will out-accelerate an equivalent A/T car because of this continuous and efficient energy transfer. Of course, assuming that the PCM electronics can be set or is smart enough to distinguish between an eco run and a sport run.

As for reliability, I think it's safe to assume that most modern CVTs that came out in the last 5 or so years are typically more reliable compared to models that came out 10-15 years ago. I keep reading about those older CVTs starting to exhibit issues like noise, judder, sliding or problems typically associated with the CVT belt. Wear and tear is especially accelerated if the transmission wasn't taken cared of properly or if the owner used the wrong transmission fluid kind or type (which is a common mistake).

Traditional A/Ts on the other hand has had time to mature so if you really take good care of it, it may very well last the whole life of the car without issues.
    Hmm.. meaning to say mas madaling i-maintain ang traditional AT sa CVT?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rickymartin View Post
    Hmm.. meaning to say mas madaling i-maintain ang traditional AT sa CVT?
    Not necessarily. Alagaan mo lang by not abusing it and replacing the ATF/CVTF with the PROPER fluids at the recommended intervals.

Current technology CVTs have a maximum torque limit. Above that back to traditional AT or DCT na. The WRX has 268 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque. It comes with a CVT and for a car that size I think that's enough. It was mentioned before that a Lancer with engine upgrades broke its CVT dahil di kinaya ang output. I can't recall what the numbers were on that car.
    Last edited by JohnM; August 14th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if by maintaining traditional AT and CVT, you mean ATF, then i suppose it's about the same maintenance..
    ano pa ba ang puede nating gawin sa mga 'yan? as far as i know, it's "no user-serviceable parts inside".
    abuse? nothing automotive is abuse-proof..
    heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 14th, 2014 at 10:19 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Not necessarily. Alagaan mo lang by not abusing it and replacing the ATF/CVTF with the PROPER fluids at the recommended intervals.

Current technology CVTs have a maximum torque limit. Above that back to traditional AT or DCT na. The WRX has 268 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque. It comes with a CVT and for a car that size I think that's enough. It was mentioned before that a Lancer with engine upgrades broke its CVT dahil di kinaya ang output. I can't recall what the numbers were on that car.
    May issue pala siya sa mga lancer. Mga modern car kasi mga naka CVT, Altis sana kaso CVT rin. SUV naman hindi afford ng budget kapag plus maintenance na.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast