New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do you agree with "carless Sundays"at Emerald Ave in Ortigas Center?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I agree with the idea

6 42.86%
  • No, I oppose the idea.

5 35.71%
  • I have no opinion / undecided

3 21.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005

Earth Day huh?

somewhere in process the message got lost

hahahaha

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You guys are only seeing the negative. Of course there'll be poseurs and pretentious people within. Any 'club' has that. But the big picture is, at least it will be an official venue to ride bikes in without worry. This is Metro Manila anyway, where there's hardly any park or space left to ride the bicycle without ingesting half the smog in the city.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    You guys are only seeing the negative. Of course there'll be poseurs and pretentious people within. Any 'club' has that. But the big picture is, at least it will be an official venue to ride bikes in without worry. This is Metro Manila anyway, where there's hardly any park or space left to ride the bicycle without ingesting half the smog in the city.
    correct and correct.

correct din yung last.

atleast may move na to go green.
    para sakin okei yan, hopefully madami ng magsigayahan na cities, mabawasan usok sa manila.

look at it positively, hindi pa nasusubukan, nega na agad,
    kung ganyan lahat ng tao sa pinas, hindi talaga aasenso dito.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

As long as you are cycling in the middle of the city, you will be ingesting half the smog. It doesn't matter if you are cycling on the middle of Emerald Ave because it is right in the middle of Metro Manila. The only benefit is the cyclists have a much lower chance of getting run-over WHILE at the venue. BUT that does not still solve the problem of the same cyclists who are going to and from the venue. SO, just to be on the safe side, they will drive to the venue in their BIG SUVs with their bikes hanging in the back.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Bastos View Post
    Tama! Akshuli nung napatambay ako sa Ortigas area. Kumain ako sa Mcdo near Podium eh hindi pala sila nagbibigay ng straw every Friday. Gandemit! Large Coke float pa naman inorder ko. Takeout pa. Bwisit itong environment activism ng Pasig.
    Haha, natawa ako dito, coke float without straw, take out, pano pa kung iinumin mo while driving? Pahirapan.

On topic, gano ba kalala ang traffic sa ortigas sa sunday ng umaga? Kung di naman ganon kaabala, ok lang.
    Last edited by BratPAQ; May 28th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    ortigas just needs to eradicate the PUV Expresses plying the route and it will be green city. I live in Ortigas pero mas gusto ko pa lagi nasa the Fort office ko and walk around at night bec. there's no PUV express. the Fort has buses na katulad sa mga italian cities. per Route and designated bus stops. it's our future city.

The fort has no sidewalk pedestrian barriers and the Fort has no electric posts and wires above. sa Ortigas pati sidewalk design kanya-kanya depende kung ano bldg. nasa harap, sa Fort uniform lahat. I usually walk around ang hang-out sa Tully's up to the Forbestown area hanggang dun sa bubble tea and it's so stress-relieving to walk. try nyo, even now nalalakad ko hanggang yun bagong SBC duon sa tabi ng Mini and Hyundai.

sana when Henry Sy takes over ORtigas, gawin nya parang Fort.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    To those advocating to eradicate jeepneys altogether, I hope you take into consideration that before this becomes even remotely possible, you have to find an alternative means of transport for people to get from the residential/suburban areas to the main roads all over the metro. Madali sabihin na tanggalin na jeepney kasi malamang naka-kotse kayo, but to the average Juan, it's the only way to get around.

Now BTT, I think this idea is ultimately bound to fail, but it can serve as a catalyst for more people to start biking. The point is to get people to think that the city supports cyclists. I do think that properly enforced bike lanes will be more effective than outright blocking a whole avenue once a week, but it might stir up some interest.

Also, contrary to the tongue-in-cheek posts here, most people don't bring their cars to transport their bike around the city. I don't, and majority of Pasig-based bikers don't, and these are the people who you'd find biking around the Ortigas/Julia Vargas/St. Paul area at night. Besides, most bikers are hobbyists - they bike because they find intrinsic value in biking per se, and not because it's the new poseur way of being 'green'.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    To those advocating to eradicate jeepneys altogether, I hope you take into consideration that before this becomes even remotely possible, you have to find an alternative means of transport for people to get from the residential/suburban areas to the main roads all over the metro. Madali sabihin na tanggalin na jeepney kasi malamang naka-kotse kayo, but to the average Juan, it's the only way to get around.

Now BTT, I think this idea is ultimately bound to fail, but it can serve as a catalyst for more people to start biking. The point is to get people to think that the city supports cyclists. I do think that properly enforced bike lanes will be more effective than outright blocking a whole avenue once a week, but it might stir up some interest.

Also, contrary to the tongue-in-cheek posts here, most people don't bring their cars to transport their bike around the city. I don't, and majority of Pasig-based bikers don't, and these are the people who you'd find biking around the Ortigas/Julia Vargas/St. Paul area at night. Besides, most bikers are hobbyists - they bike because they find intrinsic value in biking per se, and not because it's the new poseur way of being 'green'.
    Pwede naman mga Kia KC700 or something similar to that. We just need to get rid of those jeepneys who has a big share to the country's pollution.

We can even encourage people to walk more often. Tamad kasi mga pinoy, gusto nila naka-sakay parati. They hardly want to walk, gusto nila sa lahat ng pupuntahan nila may public transportation na available. Else, they wont even bother visiting it.

Hindi naman kasi actually private vehicles ang main contributor sa pollution eh, mostly PUVs. So lessening their amount or proposing a possible alternative for them which is supposedly more "greener" would make a big impact to our overall pollution-issue here.

--

They say change starts with us, yes. Pero what's the point of all of this if you're going to the venue where you will promote a greener environment by doing something such as cycling, using your humongous SUVs that leaves a huge amount of carbon footprint than anyone could ever think of.
    Last edited by renzo_d10; May 28th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Gaano ba kahaba yang emerald ave? Sinong legitimate biker ang magbbike dyan? paikot ikot nalang sa emerald? back & forth? If you're really a biker, hindi ka pupunta dyan sa emerald para magbike, aantukin kalang paikot ikot dyan.

If you're a mountain biker, sa tanay or sta. rosa ka pupunta.
    If you're a road biker, malamang sa tanay din, hindi ka naman makapag sprint dyan sa emerald, at kung pwede man, baka mabangga mo pa yung mga tatanga-tangang poser bikers cum environmentalist kuno.
    Signature

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, its really better to bike out of town for recreation. I also remember my posts sometime ago (can't remember the thread) where i saw some weekend road bikers on Nasugbu-Calatagan biking but they had their mother ass SUVs backing them up on the road.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Emerald Avenue "carless" every Sunday starting June 3 2012