New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do you agree with "carless Sundays"at Emerald Ave in Ortigas Center?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I agree with the idea

6 42.86%
  • No, I oppose the idea.

5 35.71%
  • I have no opinion / undecided

3 21.43%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Pwede naman mga Kia KC700 or something similar to that. We just need to get rid of those jeepneys who has a big share to the country's pollution.

We can even encourage people to walk more often. Tamad kasi mga pinoy, gusto nila naka-sakay parati. They hardly want to walk, gusto nila sa lahat ng pupuntahan nila may public transportation na available. Else, they wont even bother visiting it.

Hindi naman kasi actually private vehicles ang main contributor sa pollution eh, mostly PUVs. So lessening their amount or proposing a possible alternative for them which is supposedly more "greener" would make a big impact to our overall pollution-issue here.

--

They say change starts with us, yes. Pero what's the point of all of this if you're going to the venue where you will promote a greener environment by doing something such as cycling, using your humongous SUVs that leaves a huge amount of carbon footprint than anyone could ever think of.
    The whole jeepney issue is actually a microcosm of everything wrong with the country. It highlights the lack of political will to eradicate the half-a-century-old machines, as well as the lack of discipline in many. Whenever I'm on a jeep, and merong taong pinapagalitan pa yung driver pag ayaw siya itabi sa exact spot na gusto niyang babaan (kasi bawal at itatabi nung jeepney driver), sinasabihan ko talaga yung tao na "hindi ka ba marunong maghintay at bumaba sa tamang baabaan?". Nakakainis lang eh. Moreover, it highlights the lack of driving education and road etiquette, with drivers following rules not because it would alleviate inconvenience to others, but because they're scared that the greedy traffic enforcers will flag them down again. The greed of course, is a whole new can of worms in itself.

My point is, hindi ganun kasimpleng sabihing, "tanggalin na lahat ng jeepney na yan". You have to start somewhere. Personally I wish that somewhere is with better traffic enforcement and driver education. Or that jeepneys be government-run so that more control may be exercised. But any concrete action will do.

Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Gaano ba kahaba yang emerald ave? Sinong legitimate biker ang magbbike dyan? paikot ikot nalang sa emerald? back & forth? If you're really a biker, hindi ka pupunta dyan sa emerald para magbike, aantukin kalang paikot ikot dyan.
    True. Emerald is too short to be a standalone biking area. Another reason why the movement is ultimately gonna fail. Gusto ata nila gawing parang Folk Arts, recreational biking area. Not very practical in the Ortigas CBD IMO.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

True. Emerald is too short to be a standalone biking area. Another reason why the movement is ultimately gonna fail. Gusto ata nila gawing parang Folk Arts, recreational biking area. Not very practical in the Ortigas CBD IMO.
    One thing the Ortigas CBD doesnt have: parks (unlike Ayala Triangle and Salcedo Park in Makati)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Emerald Avenue "carless" every Sunday starting June 3 2012