New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Until the battery runs out. Battery discharge in hot weather traffic was a problem on the first generation Prius... after the batteries run down (due to AC use), the engine would kick in anyway. I'd really like to be able to get my hands on a second generation and take it to Tutuban Center at Christmastime... that's the acid test of whether this one will be viable for the Philippine market.

Still... after talking to the Toyota people... considering an optimistic price estimate is still at 2 million pesos... I don't know if it's worth it yet. My 2 liter car can go about 250,000 kilometers on the extra million plus pesos (at 9 km/l kung walang birit)... a Korean subcompact would be able to go 600,000 kilometers (at 17 km/l) on the extra cash you lay out for the Prius... :shock:

And how many people keep their cars here past 200,000 kms? (I do, but then, I used to do 100,000kms every two years).

I guess my original estimate of 400,000 kms before break even versus a subcompact was a bit optimistic... :lol:

----

Hey, I forgot to consider the gas that the Prius itself uses.

If we include that... and consider that the Prius itself is subject to gas price calculations... ignoring PMS, since costs are in favor of the subcompact anyway... A Prius versus a Getz... 35 km/l for the Prius, 17 km/l for the Getz 1.1... The Prius will break even with the Getz (at 42 php/l) at about 1.25 million kilometers.

With the Ford Lynx RS? At 344k kms only.
    Last edited by niky; September 24th, 2006 at 09:37 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    The 2nd Gen Toyota Prius on display at the World of Toyota event at the Metropolitan Park, near Toyota Manila Bay dealership.
    Last edited by carlocaraddict; September 24th, 2006 at 10:11 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Kahit cguro nde environment friendly ang Prius eto na lang isipin nyo...

Given the extra cost of building a Prius... Would you rather give the extra $5,000 USD to the Japanese which are building better technology or would you give the $5,000 USD to the Arabs???

I guess one factor why those artistas are making a bold statement is because they would rather give their money to the Japs rather than to the Arabs.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Errh... one question... who's giving money to the Arabs? Many oil companies are multinationals, AND most of the USA's oil supply comes from Canada and Mexico... so... give your money to the Japanese, who are threatening to completely destroy the US auto-industry, or give it to those friendly Canucks?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Until the battery runs out. Battery discharge in hot weather traffic was a problem on the first generation Prius... after the batteries run down (due to AC use), the engine would kick in anyway. I'd really like to be able to get my hands on a second generation and take it to Tutuban Center at Christmastime... that's the acid test of whether this one will be viable for the Philippine market.

Still... after talking to the Toyota people... considering an optimistic price estimate is still at 2 million pesos... I don't know if it's worth it yet. My 2 liter car can go about 250,000 kilometers on the extra million plus pesos (at 9 km/l kung walang birit)... a Korean subcompact would be able to go 600,000 kilometers (at 17 km/l) on the extra cash you lay out for the Prius... :shock:

And how many people keep their cars here past 200,000 kms? (I do, but then, I used to do 100,000kms every two years).

I guess my original estimate of 400,000 kms before break even versus a subcompact was a bit optimistic... :lol:

----

Hey, I forgot to consider the gas that the Prius itself uses.

If we include that... and consider that the Prius itself is subject to gas price calculations... ignoring PMS, since costs are in favor of the subcompact anyway... A Prius versus a Getz... 35 km/l for the Prius, 17 km/l for the Getz 1.1... The Prius will break even with the Getz (at 42 php/l) at about 1.25 million kilometers.

With the Ford Lynx RS? At 344k kms only.

Agree, we're still to poor for that car.

:fly:

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    RE: Six Stroke? Damn, that's interesting!!! Link! Link!

But on second thought, having a secondary non-fuel stroke with water might cause all sorts of emissions... hmmmm....
    there are a lot of problems with the idea of water injection, most of them have to do with oil contamination, lubricant starvation, corrosion..

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60222004/1024

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Kapag naka-off ang makina ay tuloy pa rin ang aircon using the battery supply kapag traffic. The combustion engine will automatically turn on once the lower limit battery supply had been reached.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    ayos na ayos, kung may pera lang ako bibili din ako nyan.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my brother mentioned that he inquired at Toyota regarding the SRP of the Prius. He got P1.9M for the Toyota Prius gen2.

Hmmm for that same P1.9M ... I would rather get a Toyota Camry 2.4L or even the next model Corolla 1.8 (2.0L??) or even Honda Civic 2.0L and use the rest of the money as gasoline money.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    some features of Prius:

Features
    No gear changes thanks to Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
    4.4L / 100km fuel economy*
    Push button start
    Rear Reversing Camera on i-Tech grade
    ABS (with BA & EBD) & Traction Control
    Dual front SRS airbags
    Automatic climate control air conditioning
    Power windows & power mirrors
    Electric Power Steering (EPS)
    Multi-Function Steering Wheel
    6 speaker CD sound system as standard (9 speaker JBL, 6 disc, MP3 & WMA compatible on i-Tech)
    Cruise Control
    15" Alloy Wheels & front fog lamps