New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Good day Fortuner owners! I have recently closed a deal to purchase a 2012 Fortuner 4x4 A/T. I will be picking up the unit from the previous owner within the week. This is my first time to own a Fortuner and need some help making a decision on the maintenance. Since the vehicle is already 10 years old, I will be bringing it to my trusted auto shop for some maintenance checks. Fluids and filters will be replaced. Belts, brake pads, and suspension components will also be checked to see if any parts need replacement. This is my third time to buy a 2nd hand vehicle so the routine is not new to me.

My main concern is whether I should be worried about the alternator and starter. In my previous vehicles, I noticed that the starter and alternator begin to fail around the 10-12 year mark. Was I simply unlucky with my previous cars or is this also generally true with the Fortuner? Should I expect a longer lifespan for these parts because it is a Toyota?

This is my first time to own a Toyota and I'm not sure what to make of the reputation of reliability. I am planning on replacing the starter and alternator before they fail and maybe sell the old ones. The reason I am doing this is to prevent getting stuck on the side of the road somewhere with an A/T vehicle. Is it too early to be worried about the starter and alternator?

What issues, if any, should I expect soon from a 10-year old Toyota? I hope owners of the pre-facelift Fortuners would chime in. Many thanks!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    If its daily driven.. id replace both. I've had those issues myself lol.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Our lancer cedia nearing 20 years old never had the alternator and starter replaced...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    among our cars, i have had the starter fail, only twice. one was toyota, the other one was non-toyota.
    and both times, it was the starter solenoid, which was replaced without issue.
    i assume, most incidents, toyota and otherwise, are like this.
    kasi naman, starters are very robustly built.

but my innova's alternator is something else.
    i have had issues with my 2005 innova's alternator bearing/bushing, twice already. the battery ran flat, as a result. madali naman palitan ang bearing/bushing, however.

my recommendation,
    wait for the problem to show itself.
    who knows. it might be many years before it does.

regarding timing belt (belt nga ba, o chain?).
    if belt, look at the odometer kung dapat nang palitan.
    you might also ask the previous owner, kung napalitan nah.
    if un-cooperative, ask toyota casa. they have computerized records.

happy motoring.
    Last edited by dr. d; April 5th, 2022 at 10:26 AM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    kung wala pa history ng timing belt replacement, due na yan along with the tensioner bearing and adjuster, saka cam oil seal. isasabay ko na din yung drive belt, water pump, thermostat, and hoses. check fan clutch. sa akin lang naman yun since nakabaklas na, and added peace of mind.

pwede naman ipacheck alternator sa battery shop. mas maganda kung yung digital type kasi mas marami tests pwede gawin like battery CCA, resistance, etc.

sa starter kung nagloko pwede naman try pukpukin habang nagreredondo. both starter and alternator if hindi defective wag muna palitan.