New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Oh yeah we forgot the maintenance cost of the electric vehicles... Those batteries are hell a lot expensive...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Oh yeah we forgot the maintenance cost of the electric vehicles... Those batteries are hell a lot expensive...

Its the same (untold) story with the e-jeepney. The operating cost they show to the media and in their "info" brochures don't even consider the cost of the batteries (which is a major consumable item on electric cars).
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 16th, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Cost of a Prius batter = $4k ++ service charges
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...nt-cost-4.html

Batteries last for 150k miles I think.

I would think that a pure electric vehicle would need more than 39kwh to run.
    I think they'd need more electricity than a 100watt bulb to run 20 hrs a day for a month.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    If everybody used electric cars, electricity will become relatively more expensive than petrol. Balik na lang uli sa petrol.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lancy09 View Post
    If everybody used electric cars, electricity will become relatively more expensive than petrol. Balik na lang uli sa petrol.
    But in the first place, why would everyone want to have an electric car that is more expensive to buy (as compared to petrol cars), have limited driving range, take 6 to 8 hours to fully recharge and would cost you more to own and operate in ten years than a standard petrol powered car?

I would rather keep my gasoline powered car, thank you. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to own and operate, takes only a few minutes to fill the fuel tank and drives 300 to 400 km per full tank.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    it's not yet time

electric cars are still too expensive

like GH said, at the price you pay for a decent electric car, di mo mababawi yan thru fuel savings

pag bumaba na ang price ng electric cars

pag bumaba na ang cost of replacing batteries

pag mabilis na i-charge, pag super extended na ang range

then we'll consider

to the advocates of electric cars, why not go ahead and buy one?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Based on data on 1st page:

electric car:
    160km = P124.68
    assuming annual mileage = 12,000km
    annual electric cost = P9,351.00

petrol car:
    160km = P784.00
    assuming annual mileage = 12,000km
    annual fuel cost = P58,800.00

Annual cost difference = P49,449.00 (or how much you save on fuel cost)

If you use the electric car for ten years, you would have saved P494,490.00 in fuel cost savings.

Vios = P700,000
    proposed eVios = P1.5M

Conclusion, even with ten years of use and assuming the battery pack will last ten years without degrading (which is impossible), it would still be cheaper to own and operate a standard Vios.
    A few comments on the assumptions made:

• 1.5M cost for eVios is unreasonable. Nobody would buy that, even in China. Im guessing the Chinese will price it 800-900k
    • Still, assuming that its 1.5m, cost of fuel over the next 10 years is not fixed at P49/liter. Market forecasts put oil barrel cost at $150-200 by 2015. So effectively, 10 year price difference between electric and gas Vios is at least 1M (very conservative estimate pa ito)

Yeah the Honda FCX Clarity was made in 2008 sadly didn't got too much attention when its very obvious its the way to go cause its so similar to the cars of the present without the emissions of burning fuel and hydrogen being the most abundant element in the universe...

I guess you want to wait 8 hours to recharge, sorry I am a busy man can't wait 8 hours I want to drive the way I do now. Fill up for 2 minutes and I am good for another 400km or so...

That's the problem of electric. THE WAITING TIMES!!! In the modern age that's unacceptable!
    The problem with hydrogen is that the cost of constructing hydrogen filling stations will run in billions. Not feasible. The advantage of electric is that the charging infrastructure is basically there--may mga plugs na sa bahay.

8 hours is how long we sleep/stay at home at night. Kung talagang busy ka, 440v fast charging stations are being built for 1-hour quick charge. Pero kung talaga super busy ka, then electric car is not for you; mas bagay sa iyo hybrids

Assuming tama computation mo (sorry bud tinatamad na ako magbilang), magkano naman yung kotse mababawi mo ba yan on pure savings on electricity VS petrol alone? Its like the classic petrol vs diesel argument pero the cost of electric vehicles is even way more than the difference of petrol and diesel engines...

Isa pa if environment was the issue guess how we get our electricity?

COAL!

Dirty as hell and even worse for the environment than burning petrol...
    see response above on cost computation.

About coal naman, here in Davao we also get our electricty from Mt. Apo, so hydro ito. Pero kahit sa coal pa, you're contributing less damage to the environment as electric cars have zero-emissions.

unlike now where we mine fossil fuels, process them using dirty refineries, transport them around the world using dirty diesel ships, and then use cars that emit dirty carbon dioxide.

Kahit papano na lang, lesser evil pa rin ang zero emission
    Last edited by anonemus; February 16th, 2011 at 01:42 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I still believe that hydrogen powered cars will be the future. It's a matter of how do we harness hydrogen. Cost should not be a problem as this can be recouped in the future (e.g. telecom operators transition from GSM to 3G)
    Last edited by A121; February 16th, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by anonemus View Post
    A few comments on the assumptions made:

• 1.5M cost for eVios is unreasonable. Nobody would buy that, even in China
    • Still, assuming that its 1.5m, cost of fuel over the next 10 years is not fixed at P49/liter. Market forecasts put oil barrel cost at $150-200 by 2015. So effectively, 10 year price difference between electric and gas Vios is at least 1M (very conservative estimate pa ito)

And you assume as well going forward electricity rates will remain the same? They also go up as well especially if all of us go electric... Then petrol will drop cause of low demand... And the batteries just has a finite charge and recharge cycles and eventually they don't hold as much charge anymore... Bulok na nga range ng electric cars lalo lang bubulok if you don't buy an new $2000 battery! And replacing batteries is dirty business, its not environmentally friendly as well... Buti kung ilan lang kayo gumagamit ng electric pero kung lahat tayo gagamit ng electric imagine the waste... Also if ALL OF US add electric cars in our homes besides the regular aircon, TV, ref and PC's can our electricity grid handle the overload?

So maskin mahal ang infrastructure ng hydrogen its still a better option cause its more environmentally friendly in the long run (no batteries to be replaced), hydrogen is abundant, and again 2 minutes to refill good for another 400km walang electric car kaya nyan... Will lang talaga kailangan...

10. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I can only share what Nissan is doing with their LEAF. Battery maintenance cost is ZERO for 10 years/150,000. Nissan will replace the batteries if defective within warranty period. By 10 years, performance has degraded down to 80%, but still serviceable. By 2021, batteries will be cheaper and more efficient na naman.

Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    Cost of a Prius batter = $4k ++ service charges
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...nt-cost-4.html

Batteries last for 150k miles I think.

I would think that a pure electric vehicle would need more than 39kwh to run.
    I think they'd need more electricity than a 100watt bulb to run 20 hrs a day for a month.
    The 39kwh is the estimate in the blog, to run the Volt on pure electric mode for 160kms

Quote Originally Posted by lancy09 View Post
    Yes, electric cost will rise but not as dramatic as petrol. Supply of petrol is really dwindling and therefore prices will shoot up ($200/barrel by 2015, estimate). For electric, there are other sources that we can tap, even nuclear (favorite ni ghosthunter)

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    But in the first place, why would everyone want to have an electric car that is more expensive to buy (as compared to petrol cars), have limited driving range, take 6 to 8 hours to fully recharge and would cost you more to own and operate in ten years than a standard petrol powered car?

I would rather keep my gasoline powered car, thank you. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to own and operate, takes only a few minutes to fill the fuel tank and drives 300 to 400 km per full tank.
    Electric car is not for everyone. It's one of the choices consumers can take. There will be electric, hybrid, hydrogen, petrol, diesel, biofuel, CNG, LPG, etc. Tingin ko lang dito, the more choices, the better for us consumers.

Bottomline, the future of cars using pure fossil fuel is getting "dimmer" cost-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    it's not yet time

electric cars are still too expensive

like GH said, at the price you pay for a decent electric car, di mo mababawi yan thru fuel savings

pag bumaba na ang price ng electric cars

pag bumaba na ang cost of replacing batteries

pag mabilis na i-charge, pag super extended na ang range

then we'll consider

to the advocates of electric cars, why not go ahead and buy one?
    the savings is not only about fuel, but also about the environment. pero tama ka sir, dapat bumaba muna unit price and battery costs, plus tumaas ang range (but really, my daily drive is only 30kms both ways) for it to be considered. at sana nga this will happen soon.

Why wouldn't i go ahead and buy one? Nissan will not bring the LEAF to the Philippines yet. Kung papasok nga yang electric Vios dito sa Pinas soon (with reasonable price and standard warranty), ibebenta ko regular Vios ko at bibili ako ng electric version

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Electric Vios