New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    how many percent of cars on manila roads are compliant with OBD I or OBD II or compliant to u.s. epa (envronmental protection agency) and nhtsa ) national highways and traffic safety administraton ? i am taking a survey if a specialty auto shop is going to be needed in manila. thanks for your responses

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    jick,

looks like wala pa yang sinasabi mo...i'm not really sure since ang concern lang halos is to pass the "emission test"....hindi pa ganoong ka-strict ang DOTC-LTO as well as DENR....sa emission test nga lang pera-pera lang ang usapan....only in the Philippines....

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    how many percent of cars on manila roads are compliant with OBD I or OBD II or compliant to u.s. epa (envronmental protection agency) and nhtsa ) national highways and traffic safety administraton ? i am taking a survey if a specialty auto shop is going to be needed in manila. thanks for your responses
    Cars sold here that are sold in the US are mostly compliant with EPA standards, except for the diesels... most of which don't have the urea-injection necessary to pass US standards.

Gasoline cars with stratified ultra-lean burn also don't meet US standards, but thanks to our suspect gasoline quality, manufacturers aren't keen to bring those in here, either.

Almost all new cars with electronic fuel injection, be they gasoline or diesel, are OBDII compliant.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the responses. i still don't have a definitive answer to the question if a specialty shop for powertrain management, body controls, and higher end technology repairs is feasible in manila

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    thanks for the responses. i still don't have a definitive answer to the question if a specialty shop for powertrain management, body controls, and higher end technology repairs is feasible in manila
    There is a market. The one thing that should concern you is if it's big enough to merit the investment.

Many higher end shops can do OBD scanning, and some can do ECU reflashing, both brand-specific and general. For body controls and other non-engine specific computer problems, I don't think you have the volume to ensure that such a shop would work without having some more common services to buffer up the business (oil changes, regular maintenance, etcetera).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    May balak ata si sir magtayo ng shop with this in mind? or meron na at addt'l service lang ito? Mahal kasi gamit for this and of course yung mga casa hindi naman basta-basta mamimigay ng programs nila for the check-up and repair.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    what service are you offering that local casas aren't offering?

you have to keep in mind that most car owners here do not require any service that's above and beyond what casas offer

people here are pretty satisfied with casa maintenance and consider casa maintenance as the gold standard in automotive repair and maintenance

as for US emissions standards -- what's important to car owners here is their cars pass the LTO emissions test. that's it.

i don't think anybody here would say "hey, LTO standard is too low. Gotta raise it to California standard"

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the responses. i am not intending to compete with the dealerships nor the volume they supply, what i intend to offer is quality and trust for a lower price than the dealerships. somewhere, somebody is not satisfied with the service of some shops. it will require a little bit hefty sum of money to get the equipment but it has to start somewhere and whichever the demand is, is a good place to start. again, thanks for the responses and insight

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    "hey, LTO standard is too low. Gotta raise it to California standard"
    kapag ganito nangyari, maraming dedbol na sasakyan sa Pinas.....kasali nako dun.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    to rephrase the question, where are the u.s. specs and u.s. standard cars serviced? cars with abs, climate control, active suspensions and body controls serviced? are there enough electrical specialty shops in town?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
u.s. emissions spec cars