New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    to rephrase the question, where are the u.s. specs and u.s. standard cars serviced? cars with abs, climate control, active suspensions and body controls serviced? are there enough electrical specialty shops in town?
    Qualify what you mean by "US Standard"? Because many globally marketed cars sold here have ABS, climate control and body control modules. And they are usually serviced by the casa.

If you mean high end and luxury cars, there are a few aftermarket shops that can work with the electronics.

Philippine market cars are not "third-world" compared to US market cars. In fact, we get more sophisticated diesels here than they do. Aside from most local luxury diesels here not having urea-injection like they do in the US, there is not much you can get from a US import that you can't get with the locally sold versions.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    here, if you bought your high end/luxury car from the casa, most likely you will have it serviced at the casa.

to rephrase the question, where are the u.s. specs and u.s. standard cars serviced? cars with abs, climate control, active suspensions and body controls serviced? are there enough electrical specialty shops in town?
    after warranty, there are those who still bring their high end/luxury cars to the casa. others go to casa-alternative shops

as for vehicle electronics, those don't break down often. the only time there was a surge in demand for vehicle electronics servicing was post-Ondoy

if you put up a shop here, you gotta be full service. like oil change and all that. don't focus only on specialty electronics

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    here, if you bought your high end/luxury car from the casa, most likely you will have it serviced at the casa.

after warranty, there are those who still bring their high end/luxury cars to the casa. others go to casa-alternative shops

as for vehicle electronics, those don't break down often. the only time there was a surge in demand for vehicle electronics servicing was post-Ondoy

if you put up a shop here, you gotta be full service. like oil change and all that. don't focus only on specialty electronics

thanks for the justifiable response. actually, as in most auto repair shops, the money makers or the gravy jobs are in fluid service, brakes, and routine maintenance. the electrical and engine performance side is just an added plus to the shop and usually indicates a higher level of competence of its technicians. in north america, as a minimum basis for shops, the technicians voluntarily take the Automotive Service Excellence tests and the more certification or certified technicians there are in the shop, the better off it is and usually get better patronage. one of the biggest causes of mistrust of the public in an auto shop is poor diagnoses and improper repairs. sure, the gravy jobs can be done by any tom, dick or harry off the streets but the higher technical areas sets the distinction between the boys and the men

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    how about tesda training then? i'm not sure of the quality and i'm also not sure if it is considered as "ASE" equivalent in Phils? but i think it is....

please kick me in the head if i'm wrong.....

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    thanks for the justifiable response. actually, as in most auto repair shops, the money makers or the gravy jobs are in fluid service, brakes, and routine maintenance. the electrical and engine performance side is just an added plus to the shop and usually indicates a higher level of competence of its technicians.
    yes, the basic services will pay for daily operating expenses while you're waiting for customers who need your special services

in north america, as a minimum basis for shops, the technicians voluntarily take the Automotive Service Excellence tests and the more certification or certified technicians there are in the shop, the better off it is and usually get better patronage.
    we have no such thing here hehe

we don't really know how good (or bad) auto technicians are coz there's no govt agency or private firm that certifies technicians here (i don't know about TESDA. does TESDA certify auto technicians?)

there's really no way one can tell if a shop is competent or not. you have to try it yourself to find out. or hear about it from others. Shops earn their reputation by word of mouth.

there nicely "packaged" shops (well equipped, nice building, uniformed technicians) that are incompetent and there are shops located in some guy's driveway with no signage that have excellent reputation

one of the biggest causes of mistrust of the public in an auto shop is poor diagnoses and improper repairs. sure, the gravy jobs can be done by any tom, dick or harry off the streets but the higher technical areas sets the distinction between the boys and the men
    or by taking advantage of customers' ignorance by overcharging them (that happens a lot)

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    ASE testing can be done online and test applications are taken up to july 11 and testing starts on july 18 and has to be completed by aug 18. pencil and paper tests registration ends on march 31 and testing dates on may 5, 10 and 12. pencil and paper tests can be had at the university of guam as the closest test location . testing applications can be done at www.ase.com
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; March 4th, 2011 at 09:14 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ASE testing can be done online and test applications are taken up to july 11 and testing starts on july 18 and has to be completed by aug 18. pencil and paper tests registration ends on march 31 and testing dates on may 5, 10 and 12. pencil and paper tests can be had at the university of guam as the closest test location . testing applications can be done at www.ase.com
    i don't think local auto technicians will take that test

8. Join Date
    May 2009
    planning to have one....maybe i could put it to good use someday. by online testing, do you mean that the whole test can be done using the internet alone? no personal appearance, etc? if it requires some kind of personal appearance then i have to admit, got no money now to go to abroad......i'm actually reading the site at the moment.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    there are test preparation booklets available from ase and from mitchell's. these books actually explains and covers what you might have missed from the trade school and what was not available technology when you were still at school. good knowledge bank and prepares you to pass the certifications test

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    there are test preparation booklets available from ase and from mitchell's. these books actually explains and covers what you might have missed from the trade school and what was not available technology when you were still at school. good knowledge bank and prepares you to pass the certifications test
    I admit i have a murky understanding with regards to those tests....it said that you need 2 years as a service technician......i'm only a backyard DIYer. I only finished an eng'g degree....just a hobby on vehicles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
u.s. emissions spec cars