New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    I admit i have a murky understanding with regards to those tests....it said that you need 2 years as a service technician......i'm only a backyard DIYer. I only finished an eng'g degree....just a hobby on vehicles.

two years work experience or two years of technical school training (equivalent to 1 year of experience) plus one year working in an auto repair shop as a minimum

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    two years work experience or two years of technical school training (equivalent to 1 year of experience) plus one year working in an auto repair shop as a minimum
    then that's it. mine's a hopeless case...but i'm still planning on getting a technical training locally just to kill time during weekends as I have a regular teaching job on weekdays....I specifically want to learn the electronic controls/systems of today's vehicles because this is where it gets to be complicated nowadays...with regards to the mechanicals, no problem..

for those technicians/mechanics in the Phils., I bet they won't do the ASE tests. for them, their daily experience or tech'l school diploma would be enough....just my point of view here....

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ya local technicians won't bother to take that test

unless the govt requires them

besides, ASE isnt known here. even if you put ASE stickers all over your shop to inform the public your technicians passed the ASE test, it's not gonna mean anything to the public

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    ya local technicians won't bother to take that test

unless the govt requires them

besides, ASE isnt known here. even if you put ASE stickers all over your shop to inform the public your technicians passed the ASE test, it's not gonna mean anything to the public

it might not be known in the philippines yet, but even techs from hongkong and taiwan who barely speak english come to guam to take the ase tests. some technicians from mexico also take the test to gauge their knowledge and skill if they are to within technology. so what if some techs in the philippines are unable, hesitant, reluctant or unwilling to take the test, it is not required but voluntary, again, voluntary. motorists in north america and mexico prefer ase certified techs just the same. one day, it will dawn on the dealerships and independent shops what voluntary international certification is all about. the days of mechanics are numbered and the certified technicians are the norm

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    it might not be known in the philippines yet, but even techs from hongkong and taiwan who barely speak english come to guam to take the ase tests. some technicians from mexico also take the test to gauge their knowledge and skill if they are to within technology. so what if some techs in the philippines are unable, hesitant, reluctant or unwilling to take the test, it is not required but voluntary, again, voluntary. motorists in north america and mexico prefer ase certified techs just the same. one day, it will dawn on the dealerships and independent shops what voluntary international certification is all about. the days of mechanics are numbered and the certified technicians are the norm
    points taken chap...but what i mean is the usual standard of living of a regular mechanic here in the philippines is somewhat several levels lower than that of the taiwanese/chinese. i'm not derating my fellows here but it is a sad reality.

me too, i never liked the idea of other men touching her (i mean my car you folks) especially by a shadetree mechanic. i had my share of mechanics troubleshooting & servicing/repairing (i hope so) my car before. I bought tools from time to time then I made the repairs myself because I'm more knowledgeable than the mechanics around my area who usually repair through anecdotal experiences. I hope the ASE tests come here in the Philippines.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
u.s. emissions spec cars