The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I only keep pen gauges, the rest/dials are built-in air pumps

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Halos hindi ko makita yung lagi reading sa mercury thermometer. I'd hold it up to the light and twist it up & down, but hirap talaga ako tumingin

The rectal ones were thicker, but one of my (then) clueless siblings mistakenly used the wrong one under the tongue once It was clean of course but... yuk
    there's some amount of skill involved.
    but there is one un-bargain-able condition: good eyesight.
    heh heh.

the traditional mercury glass thermometer is actually a very thin column of mercury. it's even thinner than the smallest karayom.
    but the triangular shape of the thermometer acts as a powerful magnifier that, when viewed at a certain angle, shows the greatly-magnified column as a wide ribbon of mercury.
    those old thermometers are actually marvels of technical design.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 22nd, 2021 at 09:42 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    I only keep pen gauges, the rest/dials are built-in air pumps
    My experience with these way back in the 90's is that they're susceptible to dust and dirt intrusion which can cause the measurement bar inside to bind, giving out false measurements. I tested this by measuring the same tire multiple times, each time giving me very different results.

And because the measurement bar is also affected by gravity, the results oftentimes vary based on how the instrument is oriented when the measurements were taken.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    My experience with these way back in the 90's is that they're susceptible to dust and dirt intrusion which can cause the measurement bar inside to bind, giving out false measurements. I tested this by measuring the same tire multiple times, each time giving me very different results.

And because the measurement bar is also affected by gravity, the results oftentimes vary based on how the instrument is oriented when the measurements were taken.
    tire shops that i go to, have these long brass tire pressure gauges.
    and whatever psi i tell the tire man, the resulting psi is always over-inflated, based on our reliable home psi measuring instrument.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    tire shops that i go to, have these long brass tire pressure gauges.
    and whatever psi i tell the tire man, the resulting psi is always over-inflated, based on our reliable home psi measuring instrument.
    Exactly. This type of gauge will most likely leave you with over-inflated tires. When it binds, it shows a lower reading than what is actually in the tire. The operator compensates and you end up anywhere from 3-15 PSI over your target pressure.

More power to 12vdc if his gauge still provides accurate readouts. Just stating my experience with it.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    Attachment 40289
    Oldest is stetho gauge. i might have had this since highschool about 1995? still works well may bangas lang yung transparent plastic cover from having been dropped a few times. holds reading even if you remove it from the valve already. made in tawan. suprisingly may serial number siya.
    Yes! Yun nga yung 20 yr old gauge ko!!! Akala ko design lang yung nakasulat na "Stetho gauge" dun sa case, yun pala yung brand niya. May toyo nga lang na yung sa akin- ayaw na mag hold ng reading minsan kaya semi retired na rin siya.

Pareho read outs nung Stetho gauge with Coido #2 ko and a new digital one I bought yesterday, so siguro naman tama na sila more or less... or mali sila lahat!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i have this (unfounded?) belief,
    that digital meters hold their calibration better than analog...

i love our digital bathroom scale.
    it can detect weight differences of 300 grams.
    that's about the weight difference between before-pee-and-after-pee.
    heh heh.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    ^True, they self-calibrate but also needs periodic calibration esp those sensitive analytical scales.

May konti margin error talaga ang pen gauges which is negligible, but tanchameter in reference to the built-in dial gauge(still with parallax error) of the compressor plus looking at the sidewalls works for me. Standard checklist din naman physical inspection before i drive and never trusted TPMS or in the case of cameras and sonars when backing - i still turn my head to look. Sa tire shop after they serviced it, i still check and rectify for under/overinflation kasi tireboy yun and i'm the driver.

For the digital tyre gauges, i stopped using them - laging nagtatae ang battery dahil siguro humid o subject sa vibrations?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i have this (unfounded?) belief,
    that digital meters hold their calibration better than analog...

i love our digital bathroom scale.
    it can detect weight differences of 300 grams.
    that's about the weight difference between before-pee-and-after-pee.
    heh heh.
    Yun na nga ho ang problem eh.

Now na may PSI readouts to the 2nd decimal place in my digital gauge... lalo ako naging OC saktohin each tire

With the analog gauges, basta nandun yung needle (even slightly above or below) sa linya pwede na!

10. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    By the way, report ko lang.

May nahanap akong mga ANSI certified tire gauges made by Jatco but almost 3K na yung price eh...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Tire Pressure Gauge Recommendations?