New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Incidentally, talking about analog vs. digital, we have an ancient mercury based sphygmomanometer from the 60's doc. It's huge and comes with its built in metal case (ambigat!). The doctors in the family say it can still go toe to toe with any modern day Omron Even if the latter have those fancy talking voices pa...
    because the mercury sphygmomanometer is the literal gold standard.
    not only it can go toe to toe with the rest... it even defines the toe.
    if we look at the way the blood pressure (BP) is reported, it's "mm mercury". precisely what the simplest mercury gadget is showing.
    it is unfortunate that mercury is a toxic element...

so, can we use the mercury sphygmo, to calibrate our aneroid tire pressure measuring instruments?
    alas, no.
    30 psi is equivalent to 1.5 meters (1,500 mm) of mercury. it's way beyond the standard medical sphygmo of only 300 mm high.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 21st, 2021 at 12:56 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Between carrying a heavy device with toxic metals in it and a talking Omron, I think I'll stick with the latter.

Thank you, technology!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I bought the made in Japan kuno na tire gauge. It's got a relief valve to vent(not as useful). I prefer this over the digital one. No batteries to fock around with. Over a million kilometers on the road.. annual tire changes.. and its been ok.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I guess it's just personal preference.

I prefer a digital gauge. It's easier to use and read. It's got a backlit display that works as well in broad daylight or when I'm in my dimly-lit garage. You can have all tires pumped up to the precise pressure you want down to within half a PSI and you wouldn't have to squint to see where the needle is sitting, as you would if it were an analog gauge.

Also, it just looks pretty on the TPMS when all four tires are in total agreement.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I just bought a digital 1 w/ led lights pa recently from shopee. Tire Pressure Gauge Recommendations? Nagtutugma naman sila ng tpms sa mga sasakyan ko. And looks sturdy enough.

do what you gotta do so you can do what you wanna do

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Between carrying a heavy device with toxic metals in it and a talking Omron, I think I'll stick with the latter.

Thank you, technology!
    many doctors, me included, still prefer the mercury sphygmo.
    unlike the new, electronic ones, mercury sphygmoes do not require calibration. unless palpak ang gumagamit,their readings are always correct.
    OT.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    many doctors, me included, still prefer the mercury sphygmo.
    unlike the new, electronic ones, mercury sphygmoes do not require calibration. unless palpak ang gumagamit,their readings are always correct.
    OT.
    I don't disagree. If you're a medical professional, a mercury sphygmo will give you consistent results where accuracy is important for record purposes.

But for home or personal use, it's typically* just a pass/fail situation so instrument tolerances can be relatively wider.

* Note: There are exceptions to every rule, of course.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

Thank you, technology!
    Oo naman. Pambahay/clinic use lang, and hirap gamitin by oneself.

Phased out na ang mercury, but since it’s stayed where its supposed to be (in the medical device) for almost 50+ years, then its not harmful to the environment and still being put to good use.

In a more environment friendly aspect...
    We even have glass syringes with their hypodermic needles (s.steel) that can be autoclaved and reused, still in their original cases too. Better than the tons of disposable ones generating biohazardous waste sent to incinerators.

The drawback nga lang is they are inconvenient and time consuming to use in mass settings.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post

In a more environment friendly aspect...
    We even have glass syringes with their hypodermic needles (s.steel) that can be autoclaved and reused, still in their original cases too. Better than the tons of disposable ones generating biohazardous waste sent to incinerators.

The drawback nga lang is they are inconvenient and time consuming to use in mass settings.
    the usual hypodermic needles are single-use only.
    they get duller with each use, kasi.
    kawawa pasyente.

also, there's the safety issue vis a vis infection.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    so, can we use the mercury sphygmo, to calibrate our aneroid tire pressure measuring instruments?
    alas, no.
    30 psi is equivalent to 1.5 meters (1,500 mm) of mercury. it's way beyond the standard medical sphygmo of only 300 mm high.
    I like your sense of humor Doc!

I fondly remember pag inutusan kaming mag assist mag BP, and either tinatamad kami or not in the mood, we'd play a naughty joke and pump it up to over 200+ and release the air slooowly...

Tipong: "Hoy! Ang manhid na ng braso ko, siraulong bata to!" (sabay batok sa amin...) I'm still laughing right now as I type this...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Tire Pressure Gauge Recommendations?