New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    ^True, they self-calibrate but also needs periodic calibration esp those sensitive analytical scales.

May konti margin error talaga ang pen gauges which is negligible, but tanchameter in reference to the built-in dial gauge(still with parallax error) of the compressor plus looking at the sidewalls works for me. Standard checklist din naman physical inspection before i drive and never trusted TPMS or in the case of cameras and sonars when backing - i still turn my head to look. Sa tire shop after they serviced it, i still check and rectify for under/overinflation kasi tireboy yun and i'm the driver.

For the digital tyre gauges, i stopped using them - laging nagtatae ang battery dahil siguro humid o subject sa vibrations?
    What kind of battery? Mine used to occasionally have this corrosion build-up in-between cells kaya nawawalan ng connection. Probably due to some galvanic reaction or such. I just coated the batteries with dielectric grease, problem solved.

To be fair, my TPMS has saved my bacon three times since I bought it. In all instances, the problem tire has gone below my preset lower pressure limit of 30 PSI and has set off the alarm. From the outside, mukha naman tama yung stance because of the firmer sidewall. The pressure would have to go down to about 25 or lower before the tire would start to look flat.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    From the outside, mukha naman tama yung stance because of the firmer sidewall. The pressure would have to go down to about 25 or lower before the tire would start to look flat.
    Tubeless tires and radials, ganyan talaga.

I wonder how the battery corrosion that you guys mention happens. Maybe for button cell powered ones perhaps?

My recent addition uses 3 AAA batteries (anlaki kasi), so easy to remove when not in use as a precaution i guess.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    i prefer pen type. more reliable. actually the dial-type gauges work like the pen-type but have added mechanisms to convert linear motion to rotary which can introduce a lot of error. on top of that the "hold" feature creates friction which makes them even less accurate

pen-type have a simple barrel. air pressure pushes the plunger which presses against a spring. super simple. you just need to keep it clean and lubed w/ silicone. i got a bunch of them and they all read within 1psi of each other. these are the cheap plastic ones. not the heavy brass

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Tubeless tires and radials, ganyan talaga.

I wonder how the battery corrosion that you guys mention happens. Maybe for button cell powered ones perhaps?

My recent addition uses 3 AAA batteries (anlaki kasi), so easy to remove when not in use as a precaution i guess.
    LR44 button cells on mine. I keep my gauge in the car all the time and the frequent change in temperature and humidity inside the cabin is not the best environment for storing battery-powered devices.

But it's all fixed now since I put in a dab of dielectric grease.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Patulong naman. I realize there’s a TPMS thread, but this isn’t as high tech.

Tsikoteers know how important proper tire inflation is, so I need recommendations for a good tire pressure gauge sana. Digital or analog is ok, wag lang yung pinaka old style na “slide rule” type. Ones that you actually use and have tested, Price is not too great a consideration (within reason) but accuracy is non-negotiable (otherwise useless din).

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!
    Greetings!

Since about 15 years ago, I have become almost "obsessed" with tires, brands of, maintenance of, and correct pressures to run.

My quest for the 'ultimate tire gauge' has led me to providers such as Jaco, Diyco, and U.S. providers such as Milton, Auto Meter, and Longacre Racing.

Their link is here: Longacre Tire Pressure Gauges

Now I know: Who would even think of spending PHP5,000 or more on a basic item such as a tire gauge?? Well, when the COVID pandemic hit, and I started receiving stimulus payments, that's exactly what I did! lol!

The aforementioned Longacre tire gauges are all very well built, heavy to hold, and as accurate as you can get outside of a laboratory.

They manufacture both analog clock dial gauges, as well as digital.

The only disadvantage you may find to Longacre analog gauges is, since they are marketed for North America, is they have only one scale: PSI. Not a major issue, as resources online abound for converting PSI to kPa, Bar, or kg-per-cm2.

The analog gauges glow in the dark, and all Longacres have an air bleed function, to deflate tires down to the precise required pressure.

As for digital gauges, Longacre also makes those, albeit again, a lot more expensive than some equally good competitors: DIYCO and JACO.

The last two digital gauge providers start out at PHP2,000, display illuminate, and allow you to set tire pressures to 1/10th psi. Very precise! Being electronic, they also allow you to select the scale you are most comfortable with: Bar, kPa, and kg/cm.

The downsides to digital of course are battery replacement, and, having to wait a little longer for a reading each time you bleed air with them.

The markings on the analog gauges are very sharp and clear, and I feel, a no-nonsense approach to setting recommended or ideal tire pressures.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Tire Pressure Gauge Recommendations?