New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    i have x-box, ps2 and a relatively high-end pc... i enjoy playing games on all of them... but i have to admit pc game graphics are superior to that of console graphics... the depth of gameplay/game physics/game AI is also an advantage of pc games compared to console games...

consoles excel in sports and arcade games where graphics and game AI/physics don't matter that much...

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    How time flies...personal portable devices have suddenly become the new darlings of the gaming industry. Even Nintendo, whose Wii console was the wonder console just a few years ago, is now struggling and being forced to do the unthinkable.

Nintendo’s Mario Pressured to Jump to IPhone

In “Super Mario 3DLand,” Nintendo Co. will make its iconic Italian plumber battle turtle-like Koopa Troopas on its 3-D player. The company instead should develop titles for Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone, investors say.

The rift highlights the dilemma President Satoru Iwata faces as consumers shun Nintendo devices to play games on iPhones, iPads and Facebook Inc.’s website. The flop of the 3DS debut prompted the company to slash prices 40 percent in Japan starting today, the first time the games developer has resorted to such a move within six months of a product’s debut.

Iwata, who’s said Nintendo will only make titles for its own products as long as he’s in charge, should scrap that strategy to avoid further alienating investors who’ve driven the stock to six-year lows, fund manager Masamitsu Ohki said. One option may be acquisitions as the past successes of the Wii and DS helped Nintendo, the world’s largest video-game maker, build a 1.05 trillion yen ($13.7 billion) war chest in cash, equivalents and short-term investments.

“Smartphones are the new battlefield for the gaming industry,” said Ohki, a fund manager at Tokyo-based Stats Investment Management Co. “Nintendo should try to either buy its way into this platform or develop something totally new.”

He declined to identify his holdings or to name any companies that Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo should consider as acquisition targets. Yasuhiro Minagawa, a spokesman at Nintendo, declined to comment beyond statements made previously by Iwata.

Lower-than-expected demand for the 3DS, which Iwata blamed on the lack of hit titles, prompted Nintendo on July 28 to slash its profit forecast 82 percent, driving down the shares by as much as 21 percent the following day. They fell 1.3 percent to 11,300 yen, at the 11 a.m. trading break in Osaka trading, the lowest level since August 2005.

By comparison, profits at Cupertino, California-based Apple are climbing to records, helped by downloads of games such as Rovio Mobile Oy’s “Angry Birds” on the more than 200 million iPhones, iPads and iPods sold to date. Research firm Gartner Inc. said in January it expects global sales of mobile applications to almost triple to $15.1 billion this year.

Revenue at San Francisco-based Zynga Inc., the biggest developer of Facebook games including “FarmVille” and “CityVille,” surged fivefold to $597.5 million last year.

Some traditional games companies have taken notice. Sony Corp. (6758), maker of the PlayStation video-game console, began offering the PoxNora strategy game on Facebook last year, while Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) makes its Windows Phone software compatible with the company’s Xbox Live gaming service.

Mario to the Rescue?

Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS), the second-largest U.S. video-game publisher, agreed last month to buy “Plants vs. Zombies” developer PopCap Games for as much as $1.3 billion to extend a drive into titles played on sites including Facebook. That’s more than triple the $400 million Japan’s DeNA Co. agreed to pay last year to buy iPhone-games developer Ngmoco Inc.

Nintendo’s last acquisition was in 2007, when it bought developer Monolith Software Inc., which supplies titles including the “Xenoblade” role playing game, for an undisclosed sum, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The companies share a similar direction when developing software, Iwata said at that time.

Cheaper prices may not be enough to lure some consumers.

“There are no games I want to play on the 3DS,” said Chihaya Kaizaki, a 19-year-old college student who says he prefers to play dating games on Sony’s PlayStation Portable. “The selection of 3-D titles available is pretty poor.”

Sales of the portable 3DS machine lagged behind company expectations because of the lack of “hit software titles,” Iwata told analysts and investors July 29.

More worrying to some investors are concerns that Nintendo’s next-generation video-game console, the Wii U, will fail to replicate the original Wii’s success, which helped drive the stock to an all-time high in 2007.

Cheaper prices may not be enough to lure some consumers.

“There are no games I want to play on the 3DS,” said Chihaya Kaizaki, a 19-year-old college student who says he prefers to play dating games on Sony’s PlayStation Portable. “The selection of 3-D titles available is pretty poor.”

Sales of the portable 3DS machine lagged behind company expectations because of the lack of “hit software titles,” Iwata told analysts and investors July 29.

More worrying to some investors are concerns that Nintendo’s next-generation video-game console, the Wii U, will fail to replicate the original Wii’s success, which helped drive the stock to an all-time high in 2007.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I am a console as long as a PC gamer. May mga games lang talaga na maganda sa PC pero hindi sa console, like Dota. Haha. Tama ba?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, how about portable gaming platforms? where do they fall on? I heard its more profitable and more people play on it.
    Even you can play facebook games on it like android platforms. Looks like Game&Watch wins.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Reviving this thread.

In summary, console is much easier for most people. No need to think of compatibility and obsolesence since you know that your platform will be supported for the next 5-7 years (until next gen comes out). Also much cheaper because you only shell out once on the console (~25k) and that's it.

PC on the other hand has more upgrade options available but you have to be into that kind of thing in order to keep up. A decent gaming PC also starts at around 40k and you'll need to spend more to have specs that will be good for the next 5 years.

I used to be a PC gamer - had a midrange PC from highschool (Core 2 Duo, Radeon 3850) and then upgraded a little in college (Core 2 Quad, GTX 460). Stopped playing after college, got back to gaming with a Switch (Pokemon and Overcooked). Now bought my first ever console (PS4) for Gran Turismo alone - this is the main reason I got a PS4 but later on I realized it's also much cheaper and simpler to game on a console than PC.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Reviving this thread.

In summary, console is much easier for most people. No need to think of compatibility and obsolesence since you know that your platform will be supported for the next 5-7 years (until next gen comes out). Also much cheaper because you only shell out once on the console (~25k) and that's it.

PC on the other hand has more upgrade options available but you have to be into that kind of thing in order to keep up. A decent gaming PC also starts at around 40k and you'll need to spend more to have specs that will be good for the next 5 years.

I used to be a PC gamer - had a midrange PC from highschool (Core 2 Duo, Radeon 3850) and then upgraded a little in college (Core 2 Quad, GTX 460). Stopped playing after college, got back to gaming with a Switch (Pokemon and Overcooked). Now bought my first ever console (PS4) for Gran Turismo alone - this is the main reason I got a PS4 but later on I realized it's also much cheaper and simpler to game on a console than PC.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Agree bro! If you want plug and play, get a console.

If you want to tinker with your hardware, get the most fps, get the highest detail, get a pc.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Long time console player here - from PS2 to PS3 then PS4, now waiting for PS5. Also had Xbox before but didn’t move on to Xbox360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Used to be a gamer (serious gamer I may say, that my kids are named after a game character PC Gamers vs. Console gamers) ... both on pc and console. Merong mga games that are better played on console than on pc, and vise versa. During my peak, siguro 60% console and 40% pc.

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Long time console player here - from PS2 to PS3 then PS4, now waiting for PS5. Also had Xbox before but didn’t move on to Xbox360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eto lang muna bro as I do not have a PC at home. PC Gamers vs. Console gamers20200716_185437.jpg

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    PS5 DS Controller...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
PC Gamers vs. Console gamers