New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Yesterday I got the dreaded blue screen. I think it's my laptop telling me that it's due for retirement. I'm currently using a Toshiba Satellite which I bought for around 80K in early 2006. I am extremely satisfied with its performance over the past 5 years. My Toshiba has never been reformatted and it has never crashed despite all the **** This is my workhorse laptop for I turn it on as soon as I get home until I fall asleep. Because of this, I vowed to stick with Toshiba for my next laptop.

I bought my Tosihiba laptop with a friend who got an identical unit and we got a discount for doing so. However my friend is now considering getting an Apple to replace her Toshiba. And that's where my dilemma begins. I am very satisfied with my current Toshiba but I trust my friend's judgement when it comes to good buys.

This is my understanding of why I should get an apple:

1. Not prone to virus
    2. Great OS (no bugs)

I have doubts about it's durability. Can it be really used as a workhorse?

My main considerations for getting a laptop are:

1. Practicality - I drive a Toyota. I use a Nokia. I don't need form and flash

2. Dependability - it won't fail on me.

3. Durability - it needs to be able to stand abuse. I don't want a notebook that requires great care (di pwede mabagsak, di pwede mainitan, di pwede matagal mabukas)

Ideally my budget is 40k but I can stretch it until 60k. Please help me make a decision. Your replies would be very much appreciated.

PS: I came to a decision of purchasing my new Nokia model based on the suggestions as replies to my thread on this board

PPS: Kindly inform me where it is best to buy your recommended laptop. I am considering any other brands but Toshiba or Apple.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I don't like netbooks and I need at least a 14" screen.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Get another Toshiba. the one with Harman Kardon speakers. they are solid as a rock. Failure rate is low.
    Best if you could get one from US, its a real made in Japon..

Stay away from HP..these are China just like Acer with so many issues.. MSI is better or Sony ViAO IMO and experience.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Get a Dell XPS. Kasya budget mo.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Check this ASUS with an Intel Core-i5 cpu notebook: Asus K43SV-VX120, Intel Core i5-2410M CPU, 2GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, nVidia GT540 1GB DDR3 dedicated VRAM | VillMan Computers

Priced at P33,000 without OS. My suggestion, upgrade the memory from 2gb to 4gb and install Windows 7 Home 64bit.

You would still have some spare change leftover from your P40,000 budget for a nice laptop bag.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you plan to go "APPLE", your P40,000 budget is not enough to buy a new laptop, not even for the Apple Air.

-------------------

Alternative to the ASUS above....

You can try the LENOVO Z470. Lenovo ideapad Z470 Black(5906-9400) and Pink( 59071302) DOS with 2nd Generation Core i5 processor. | VillMan Computers

Priced at P36,000 with 2gb ram "free" making a total of 4gb ram. Have Windows 7 64bit installed and it should run smooth and fast.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Other options:

MSI FX420 : MSI FX420x - i5185+ with Sandy Bridge Processor and 8GB of memory | VillMan Computers

Priced at P36,000. This unit is practically a mid-level gaming rig.

9. Join Date
    May 2011
    toshiba all the way..

my toshiba notebook is still with me five years and counting

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Your requirement "di pwede ibagsak" brings only one laptop to mind - the Panasonic Toughbook, which cost around a hundred grand. Its all because, not only laptop, but most gadgets may break or stop working after a hard fall.

Anyway, my first laptop - MSI EX401 - has been with me through thick and thin. All abuses possible are done to this laptop including skype almost 12hrs everyday and overnight downloading of HD movies in *******. I had it for P31000 last June 2008 and its still working perfectly until now. My bro already inherited it from me coz now im on the dark side . Never looked back since.

Specs:
    Core2 Duo 2.0Ghz
    2GB Ram
    200GB HDD
    ATI Radeon 3450 128mb
    14.1" screen 1280x800 res
    DVD writer 8x
    4 usb ports

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Which notebook is better? Toshiba or Apple?