New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    For around 51k (even cheaper if you buy somewhere else) you can get a white Macbook

MacBook - Buy MacBook notebook computers - Apple Store (Philippines)

Mac do tend to cost a bit more than it's PC counterpart, but this could be because it already has a full OS, some PC doesn't even come with an OS.

Advantage
    1. A stable OS (it crashes less than a PC)
    2. Immune to majority of the Virus, which saves some money since you don't need to purchase any AV software
    3. Has a better battery management system
    4. To non computer savy user, the Mac OS is easier to learn
    5. Looks ***ier
    6. Lighter

Disadvantage
    1. Only has 2 USB ports
    2. Proprietary video port (but CD-R King sells adapters)

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    At P38,000, you can get better spec laptops (Intel Core i5) for a cheaper base price for the unit. The ones I posted are examples of what I mean.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rattrapante View Post
    For around 51k (even cheaper if you buy somewhere else) you can get a white Macbook

Mac do tend to cost a bit more than it's PC counterpart, but this could be because it already has a full OS, some PC doesn't even come with an OS.

Advantage
    2. Immune to majority of the Virus, which saves some money since you don't need to purchase any AV software
    5. Looks ***ier
    6. Lighter

Disadvantage
    1. Only has 2 USB ports
    She is used to Windows OS.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I am a PC person... Despite all its shortcomings, I still prefer using Windows (and Linux) over the MAC.

However, over the years, I've found myself recommending a MAC based system to anyone who would ask me advice on what kind of PC to get. Why? Less headaches for me in the long run. Those people who followed my advice to get a MAC never bothered me again for tech support. On the other hand, those people who stubbornly insisted on saving a few bucks to get a Windows based system often come back to me and asks for help on this, that and other stuff...

So rule of thumb --- if you find yourself needing advice on what machine to get, then just get a MAC.

The extra price you pay when getting a MAC pays for itself in full when you realize that you have stopped asking other people for tech support.

Can't argue with that..

A big factor in that stability is owed to Apple's strict control over what kind of hardware goes inside the machine. Controlled hardware means less variations to hardware drivers. Rock stable. Windows OSes have to support a ridiculous amount of devices from a lot of vendors. If you go with Windows, your stability will be dictated by the quality of hardware drivers provided by the components you choose.

Even now, Windows still allows the user to damage its OS. Vista and W7 already a UAC mechanism which nags the user [YES/NO] whenever a program wants to do something that would affect the system. However, an over eager user will more often then not click on the [YES] command without reading the warning... eventually, the user will click [YES] on a potential malware or a shady driver installation eventually compromising the stability of the OS.

I've had my W7 installation on my PC for 2 years now. I am using the free MSE AV which is provided by MS. I've yet to experience any infections. Also, my quarantine folder is empty.

Users get infected mostly because of their unsafe practices. They open executable email attachments, they willingly plug in a USB drive which they've just used in a net cafe, they wantonly click on web page banners that promise to install cute smilies on their YM chat, etc.

Anyway, you still have a valid point. With a MAC, you can probably forget about those safe practices...less headaches.

Agree.

True. That is why I always recommend a MAC based system to people who ask me advice on what machine to get.

5. Looks ***ier
    6. Lighter
    Kinda subjective. But mostly, yes.

Disadvantage
    1. Only has 2 USB ports
    Well, if you're talking about a desktop based system, then yeah, 2 USB ports would be a bummer.
    But for a lappy, then 2 USB ports should be sufficient. 1 for the mouse and 1 for an extra USB drive, keyboard, etc. The emphasis for the lappy is portability/mobility.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Get another Toshiba. the one with Harman Kardon speakers. they are solid as a rock. Failure rate is low.
    Best if you could get one from US, its a real made in Japon..

Stay away from HP..these are China just like Acer with so many issues.. MSI is better or Sony ViAO IMO and experience.
    I wish I could get the models with Harman Kardon speakers but those cost around 100k already. I also like that the keyboard lights up too but alas it does not fit my budget.

I do prefer to buy in the US since it so much cheaper. My only problem is the warranty. I am not sure if Tricom will honor it in case I need to claim warranty on a Toshiba that I bought at Best Buy. But since you mentioned that Toshiba laptops are from Japan, it made me think twice if it is worth the risk of not having warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Check this ASUS with an Intel Core-i5 cpu notebook: Asus K43SV-VX120, Intel Core i5-2410M CPU, 2GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, nVidia GT540 1GB DDR3 dedicated VRAM | VillMan Computers

Priced at P33,000 without OS. My suggestion, upgrade the memory from 2gb to 4gb and install Windows 7 Home 64bit.

You would still have some spare change leftover from your P40,000 budget for a nice laptop bag.
    GH, doesn't the OS cost a significant amount din? More or less 5k? I would prefer a laptop with the OS included na since I do not know how to do installations etc

If you plan to go "APPLE", your P40,000 budget is not enough to buy a new laptop, not even for the Apple Air.

-------------------

Alternative to the ASUS above....

You can try the LENOVO Z470. Lenovo ideapad Z470 Black(5906-9400) and Pink( 59071302) DOS with 2nd Generation Core i5 processor. | VillMan Computers

Priced at P36,000 with 2gb ram "free" making a total of 4gb ram. Have Windows 7 64bit installed and it should run smooth and fast.
    I can stretch my budget until 60k but ideally I would like to keep it at 40k.

Hey Mister, you just gave me an additional dilemma I have heard good feedback about the Lenovo, it's tough like Toshiba. I didn't consider it back then because it looked dated. But now that I saw the link you gave me, I think I will consider Lenovo na din.

What is the difference between a thinkpad and ideapad?

Quote Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
    Your requirement "di pwede ibagsak" brings only one laptop to mind - the Panasonic Toughbook, which cost around a hundred grand. Its all because, not only laptop, but most gadgets may break or stop working after a hard fall.

Anyway, my first laptop - MSI EX401 - has been with me through thick and thin. All abuses possible are done to this laptop including skype almost 12hrs everyday and overnight downloading of HD movies in *******. I had it for P31000 last June 2008 and its still working perfectly until now. My bro already inherited it from me coz now im on the dark side . Never looked back since.

Specs:
    Core2 Duo 2.0Ghz
    2GB Ram
    200GB HDD
    ATI Radeon 3450 128mb
    14.1" screen 1280x800 res
    DVD writer 8x
    4 usb ports
    I don't intend to drop my laptop but I meant a laptop that is not maselan. Is MSI from Japan din?

Advantage
    5. Looks ***ier
    6. Lighter

Disadvantage
    1. Only has 2 USB ports
    Yeah it's even cheaper in the US and it automatically has international warranty diba? I did not consider the apple before because I did not want to learn a new OS. Another thing that is discouraging me from an Apple was it seems to maselan. It just dawned on me, but do they still have models with a DVD-RW? Because that is an important requirement for me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    LENOVO Ideapad vs Thinkpad:

Lenovo Thinkpad vs. Ideapad: Battle of the Lenovos

Lenovo laptops - ThinkPads & IdeaPad

Personally, which ever suits your taste in external styling.

Thinkpad = more serious, business designed exterior. Boxy shaped like older classic IBM Thinkpads.
    Ideapad = more consumer oriented styling with more curves and color options. More current and modern.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 11th, 2011 at 12:19 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    GH, doesn't the OS cost a significant amount din? More or less 5k? I would prefer a laptop with the OS included na since I do not know how to do installations etc
    Villman sells Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit for P4700. It's possible to ask them to install the OS for you.

There is always the "free" route as well.

I don't intend to drop my laptop but I meant a laptop that is not maselan. Is MSI from Japan din?
    MSI is Taiwan. They also make computer motherboards among other things.

It just dawned on me, but do they still have models with a DVD-RW? Because that is an important requirement for me.
    All notebook PCs have DVD-RW drives as standard.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    Users get infected mostly because of their unsafe practices. They open executable email attachments, they willingly plug in a USB drive which they've just used in a net cafe, they wantonly click on web page banners that promise to install cute smilies on their YM chat, etc.

Anyway, you still have a valid point. With a MAC, you can probably forget about those safe practices...less headaches. .
    So I am essentially safe from any virus if I get a MAC? I noticed that as my Toshiba gets older it runs so much slower and it always hangs. I hate to contantly reset. I know it's not solely a hardware issue but could be a software issue as well. I have to admit that I do go to websites that are very prone to having virus.

But then again I have an issue with Apple restricting its users eg you can't store **** on an iphone? Not that I will but I don't appreciate being told what I can and can't do with my gadget. For my ipod, I can't arrange the songs my way because it's being done automatically.

Also, if I get an Apple, does that mean I don't have to reformat my OS ever?

LENOVO Ideapad vs Thinkpad:

Lenovo Thinkpad vs. Ideapad: Battle of the Lenovos

Lenovo laptops - ThinkPads & IdeaPad

Personally, which ever suits your taste in external styling.

Thinkpad = more serious, business designed exterior. Boxy shaped like older classic IBM Thinkpads.
    Ideapad = more consumer oriented styling with more curves and color options. More current and modern.
    So it's just styling and not really Thinkpad or Ideapad being a higher end model?

Villman sells Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit for P4700. It's possible to ask them to install the OS for you.

There is always the "free" route as well..
    I don't think I can charm my way into getting a free OS at Villman lol. Diba windows has a serial number that you can only use once?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    buy a freaking Mac nalang kasi

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Which notebook is better? Toshiba or Apple?