New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Great OS (no bugs)
    Not necessarily. It has the same amount of bugs as windows probably more, its just not that publicised as the number of user are miniscule as compared to windows users. Windows 7 is great and is updated constantly.

I have doubts about it's durability. Can it be really used as a workhorse?
    They are fairly durable. If it can be used as a workhorse would depend on what you will be using it with. However, MACs are generally a lot more expensive than similarly spec'ed window counterparts.( I think as much as 2x more expensive)

1. Practicality - I drive a Toyota. I use a Nokia. I don't need form and flash
    In that case the Mac is not for you as it is built more on Form than factor. see my reply above.

2. Dependability - it won't fail on me.
    Quality is about the same as the high quality ones out there.

3. Durability - it needs to be able to stand abuse. I don't want a notebook that requires great care (di pwede mabagsak, di pwede mainitan, di pwede matagal mabukas)
    Get a rugged notebook, they are not beautiful but built like a tank. Lenovo is know for their rugged notebooks.

Ideally my budget is 40k but I can stretch it until 60k. Please help me make a decision. Your replies would be very much appreciated.
    There are a lot of midrange notebooks in the 25K to 60k bracket. It would just depend on your hardware requirements. Personally, I would go for either Asus, Lenovo, Fujitsu, or Toshiba.
    14",Intel i5 processor, with 4Gig of ram is more than enough IMO.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    go with the asus, more bang for buck. i wont say it is tough since i havent dropped my laptop yet but im not soft handling it either. i havent changed anything on my 4 year old asus, still runs bug free, albeit a little slower now but then ive used up 90% of my hard disk due to movie downloads

windows or mac? people who complain on viruses and bugs on windows are like homeowners who just invite strangers to their home then complain when something is missing. wag na kasi kung san san nagpupuntang site, if you want **** just download from *******s haha! kidding aside, i can see that your primary use for the laptop is work, better check if compatible yung softwares na gagamitim mo sa mac.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    So I am essentially safe from any virus if I get a MAC?
    Not necessarily. But you have lesser risk. Most viruses are written for windows.
    I noticed that as my Toshiba gets older it runs so much slower and it always hangs. I hate to contantly reset. I know it's not solely a hardware issue but could be a software issue as well. I have to admit that I do go to websites that are very prone to having virus.
    It is necessary to clean your OS from time to time. It became slower due to garbage being stored in your computer by applications over time. Have it re-formatted and you will see that it will be fast again. re-formatting every 2 years is good practice. This is specially true with windows xp. I don't know if this was remedied with windows 7.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't think I can charm my way into getting a free OS at Villman lol. Diba windows has a serial number that you can only use once?
    OEM version is cheaper but it can be installed in only 1 machine. If you change your motherboard, goodbye na yung license. THe Full Product Version can be transferred from 1 machine to another, it is also more expensive by I think about 1K. If your the type who does not change hardware all the time, the OEM version is for you. But if you swap parts every now and then the full product version is the way to go. BTW, some packages include the OS so you can look for those deals.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Dating laptop ko fujitsu. Since 2006 din. Matibay talaga. Pinangalanan ko nga 301st_Spartan. Ninakaw sa bahay last monday lang.

Bumili muna ako ng Toshiba N520 na netbook. Yung may harman kardon na speakers. Mukhang matibay din. Kaya pinangalanan ko rin ng 302nd_Spartan. At napakalakas ng tunog. Nag upgrade ako nang windows 7 starter to home edition using the "free route".

Di pwede sa akin ang mac. Di pwede yung apps na ginagamit ko. Pero pansin ko nga rin na yung mga mac users di na bumabalik sa windows.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by keithdb View Post
    Not necessarily. It has the same amount of bugs as windows probably more, its just not that publicised as the number of user are miniscule as compared to windows users. Windows 7 is great and is updated constantly.
    So I also need to reformat a mac? Also it also has issues on virus and hanging. Forgot to ask pala, if I get a mac are there a lot of free softwares compatible with it? I don't wanna have to buy every single software I install

They are fairly durable. If it can be used as a workhorse would depend on what you will be using it with. However, MACs are generally a lot more expensive than similarly spec'ed window counterparts.( I think as much as 2x more expensive)

In that case the Mac is not for you as it is built more on Form than factor. see my reply above..
    If I decide to get a mac I'll have someone buy it in the US so it won't be that expensive. I only use my laptop for browsing. I want to download movies through ******* too. I can't do that with my current Toshiba because it hangs when I install u*******

Get a rugged notebook, they are not beautiful but built like a tank. Lenovo is know for their rugged notebooks.

There are a lot of midrange notebooks in the 25K to 60k bracket. It would just depend on your hardware requirements. Personally, I would go for either Asus, Lenovo, Fujitsu, or Toshiba.
    14",Intel i5 processor, with 4Gig of ram is more than enough IMO.
    Thanks. I am also considering a pink Lenovo now. Isn't Lenovo made in China na?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks. I am also considering a pink Lenovo now. Isn't Lenovo made in China na?
    Lenovo units are made on the same production line (n china) that used to make IBM laptop computers. So quality is very good. Stigma of being made in "china" doesn't really apply here.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't think I can charm my way into getting a free OS at Villman lol. Diba windows has a serial number that you can only use once?
    You could buy the original software then ask the shop to install it for you without adding labor/service fee.

That or ask your techie cousin or school friend to install Windows 7 for you and make libre him/her something na lang.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miLes View Post
    windows or mac? people who complain on viruses and bugs on windows are like homeowners who just invite strangers to their home then complain when something is missing. wag na kasi kung san san nagpupuntang site, if you want **** just download from *******s haha! kidding aside, i can see that your primary use for the laptop is work, better check if compatible yung softwares na gagamitim mo sa mac.
    Lahat naman ata ng **** may virus. lol. I won't be using my laptop for work. Pang browse lang talaga and downloading. Kaya naisip ko maganda din mac kung hindi siya navi virus kasi I intend to do a lot of downloads with my new laptop.

Not necessarily. But you have lesser risk. Most viruses are written for windows.

It is necessary to clean your OS from time to time. It became slower due to garbage being stored in your computer by applications over time. Have it re-formatted and you will see that it will be fast again. re-formatting every 2 years is good practice. This is specially true with windows xp. I don't know if this was remedied with windows 7.

OEM version is cheaper but it can be installed in only 1 machine. If you change your motherboard, goodbye na yung license. THe Full Product Version can be transferred from 1 machine to another, it is also more expensive by I think about 1K. If your the type who does not change hardware all the time, the OEM version is for you. But if you swap parts every now and then the full product version is the way to go. BTW, some packages include the OS so you can look for those deals.
    Your insights have been very helpful. I keep on procastinating regarding my laptop being re formatted. I hate having to back up my files and I have to write down all my bookmarks pa. I have to do it one of these days because I could barely use my laptop now. I was able to dl the free version of AVG and everytime it runs I absolutely cannot use my laptop I never upgrade my hardware pala but I plan to buy extra ram for my current toshiba.

Quote Originally Posted by robot.sonic View Post
    Bumili muna ako ng Toshiba N520 na netbook. Yung may harman kardon na speakers. Mukhang matibay din. Kaya pinangalanan ko rin ng 302nd_Spartan. At napakalakas ng tunog. Nag upgrade ako nang windows 7 starter to home edition using the "free route"..
    Mahal ng may harman kardon speakers. Where did you buy your Toshiba? Ano ba yang free route na yan? P word ba?

Quote Originally Posted by robot.sonic View Post
    Di pwede sa akin ang mac. Di pwede yung apps na ginagamit ko. Pero pansin ko nga rin na yung mga mac users di na bumabalik sa windows.
    I forgot to list down this issue. Mapili mac sa apps. Curious nga rin ako bakit yung mga mac user tuwang tuwa sa mac. How much better is their OS compared to windows nga ba. I started with windows 3.1 kasi baka hindi maging intuitive sakin ang mac. Naalala ko sa school yung classmate ko bumili ng mac. Hindi nila mapagana sa projector. hehe.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Your insights have been very helpful. I keep on procastinating regarding my laptop being re formatted. I hate having to back up my files and I have to write down all my bookmarks pa. I have to do it one of these days because I could barely use my laptop now. I was able to dl the free version of AVG and everytime it runs I absolutely cannot use my laptop I never upgrade my hardware pala but I plan to buy extra ram for my current toshiba.
    In current versions of internet browsers, there is usually an export tool to copy the bookmarks to a file that can be used to restore your bookmarks on another computer. I used that facility when I switched netbooks recently.

BTW, if your current computer screeches to a halt when the updated anti-virus runs, it is a sign to upgrade your PC.

Mahal ng may harman kardon speakers. Where did you buy your Toshiba? Ano ba yang free route na yan? P word ba?
    Free route = pirated copy

Practically the same as the legal version except you should NOT update the OS. IN fact better to disable the auto-update feature.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    You could buy the original software then ask the shop to install it for you without adding labor/service fee.

That or ask your techie cousin or school friend to install Windows 7 for you and make libre him/her something na lang.
    I don't have any techie cousin or friends that I could bother to fix my laptop I will just buy a laptop with a OS package.

Anyway I am scrapping the mac na. It's now Toshiba vs Lenovo.

Are there any members here from the US? Can anyone confirm if there is an option for me at bestbuy na I get international warranty?

I kinda like this:

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Platinum
    Our Price:
    $849.99

Warranty Terms - Parts
    1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor
    1 year limited

Product Height
    1.4"

Product Width
    16.3"

Product Weight
    6.6 lbs.

Product Depth
    10.8"

Processor Brand
    Intel®

Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7

Processor Speed
    2.0GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz)

Battery Type
    6-cell lithium-ion

Display Type
    High-definition widescreen TFT-LCD with TruBrite technology (1600 x 900)

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)
    17.3"

Cache Memory
    6MB on die Level 3

System Memory (RAM)
    6GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
    8GB

Type of Memory (RAM)
    DDR3

Hard Drive Type
    SATA (5400 rpm)

Computer Hard Drive Size
    750GB

Optical Drive
    Double-layer DVD±RW/Blu-ray Disc/CD-RW

Optical Drive Speeds
    4x DVD+R DL; 4x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 6x BD-ROM; 24x16x24 CD-RW

Direct-Disc Labeling
    Yes

Digital Media Reader or Slots
    Yes, digital media card reader

Graphics
    Mobile Intel® HD

Video Memory
    64-1696MB dynamically allocated

TV Tuner
    No

MPEG
    Yes

Built-in Webcam
    Yes

Modem
    None - Pano DSL ko kung wala modem?

Networking
    Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Networking
    Wireless-B+G+N

Bluetooth-Enabled
    No

S-Video Outputs
    None - What is this for?

Audio
    Dolby Advanced Audio and Waves MaxxAudio 3

Speakers
    Internal

PCMCIA Slots
    None

USB 2.0 Ports
    1 USB 3.0; 3 USB 2.0

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports
    None

Parallel Ports
    None - I think I need this?

Game Ports
    None

Laptop Weight
    Standard (more than 5.5 lbs.)

Battery Life
    Up to 4 hours and 11 minutes

Pointing Device
    Touchpad with multitouch control and enable/disable

HDMI Output
    Yes

Blu-ray Player
    Yes

Operating System Platform
    Windows

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium

System Version
    64-bit

Included Software
    Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

ENERGY STAR Qualified
    Yes

Best Buy PC App
    No

Graphics Chip
    Intel

Wireless Capability
    4G WiMAX

Drive Capacity
    750GB

Graphics Card
    Mobile Intel® HD

Wireless Display
    Yes

Carrier Compatibility
    CLEAR

versus

Lenovo ideapad Z470 Black(5906-9409) and Pink(5907-1301) with 2nd Generation Core i5 processor. | VillMan Computers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Which notebook is better? Toshiba or Apple?