New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Yep we used Thinkpads also. An unlucky few experienced BSODs mainly because of HDD faults which were not caused by Lenovo itself. The battery does not last long also especially if left plugged in all the time. The hardware like the keyboard and hinges are solid though.

MSI-ECS in BGC services Lenovo products. I saw one client claim a repaired phone. Call ahead to confirm.
    i have a 3 yr old lenovo 2-in-1 laptop/tablet at home and is almost always plugged in. But when i unplug the unit it still lasts for more than 4 hours (since day one ganito na tinatagal ng batt nya pag full charged na, although lately lagi lang talaga nakakalimutang unplug yung laptop).

With this scenario, can you tell me how does it affect the lifespan of the battery if left plugged sa outlet? Because from what i know (and do please correct me if im wrong) these new electronic gadgets are smart enough to know that their batteries are fully charged and they go into trickle mode to maintain the full charge capacity of the battery, thanks!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post
    i have a 3 yr old lenovo 2-in-1 laptop/tablet at home and is almost always plugged in. But when i unplug the unit it still lasts for more than 4 hours (since day one ganito na tinatagal ng batt nya pag full charged na, although lately lagi lang talaga nakakalimutang unplug yung laptop).

With this scenario, can you tell me how does it affect the lifespan of the battery if left plugged sa outlet? Because from what i know (and do please correct me if im wrong) these new electronic gadgets are smart enough to know that their batteries are fully charged and they go into trickle mode to maintain the full charge capacity of the battery, thanks!
    Afaik it is indeed better to keep them charged at all times rather than use the battery and then charge it up when it reaches about 20% or when anyone feel it is low enough. Trickle charge sue to better battery management system will do the trick indeed.

However when not in use, it is still better to unplug it afaik. That's what my brother-in-law electronics and comms engineer told me and from why also read in the the web during the time I was curious as well as to what is the best wat to conserve the battery of laptops.

I believe in thsi because if you constantly plug your battery while using the laptop, the battery will not be strained and it will not experience higher operating temp as compared to being used while charging from a low charge. You can feel it naman from the exhaust fan na much hotter indeed if you are really charging vs trickle charge when already plugged before hand. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Your mileage may differ. I agree that they should be smart enough to know when to trickle charge. My experience with hand-me-down refurbished units say otherwise though. We've had 2-year-old laptops that can only hold 30 mins of charge on an extended battery pack. Take note though that these are used by developers for more than 8 hours a day so heat could be the main culprit affecting battery life.

Sent from my SM-A605G using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    batteries doesn't heat up unless subjected to heavy loads such as battery operated drills
    or those automatic electric guns aka airsoft guns etc...

the heat or warm to the touch you're feeling underneath the laptop or at the exhaust fan is the cpu heating up due to excesssive use or the laptop has been on for a long time, imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    You may learn a lot in:

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

It is too technical to me.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigT View Post
    You may learn a lot in:

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

It is too technical to me.
    yup this is quite a good site and to quote;

"There are no black and whites in the battery world, only shades of gray. The battery is a black box with a mind of its own; mystical and unexplainable. For some, the battery causes no problems whatsoever; for others it’s nothing but a headache.

Much effort is devoted to battery care, and it appears as if battery diagnostics are stuck in medieval times. Let’s not blame our scientists for this; the technology is complex. Also good care alone does not always show the expected results. The often asked question, “How many cycles can I get out of my battery if I do this?” has no quantitative answer. The reasons for the eventual demise are multifold and have similarities with our own human frailty. We suffer health issues even if we try to keep fit and eat our vegetables."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12