New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    GH, why do you recommend the

G480
    Lenovo G480 (59355877) DARK BROWN - Core i5 with now with w8! | VillMan Computers
    P 33,984.00

Intel Core i3 3110M (2.5GHz up to 3.1GHz, 1600MHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
    Nvidia GeForce 635M 2GB
    14"HD (1366x768) Display
    4 GB DDR3 Memory/ Up to 8GB
    500 GB SATA Hard Drive 5400 rpm
    DVD Super Multi Burner
    HD Webcam
    Bluetooth, 10/100 LAN, 802.11n WiFi
    2 in 1 Card Reader, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, HDMI
    2.2 Kgs with 6 cell batery
    Genuine Windows 8

more than the

Z470?
    Lenovo ideapad Z470 Pink(5930-9952) with 2GB Graphics | VillMan Computers

P 32,892.00

Processor & Cache Memory Intel Core i5-2430M Processor wit Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
    Intel Core i5-2410M (3MB L3 SmartCache, 2.40GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.0GHz supporting Intel® 64 architecture, Intel® Smart Cache
    Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Main Memory 1 x 2GB DDR3(upgradeable to 8GB)
    Display 14" WXGA LED(1366x768)
    Video Graphics & Memory Nvidia GeForce GT540M 2GB with Switchable Graphics Feature
    Hard Drive 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 750GB HDD 5400rpm
    Optical Drive Dual Layer Multiburner Drive (DVDRW)
    Video Camera 2MP Web Camera with Face Recognition
    Audio SRS Powered Premium Surround Sound
    Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN Realtek 10/100 Mbps LAN, Lenovo Wifi, Built-in Bluetooth
    I/O 3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1* 34mm Express Card slot, RJ45, VGA, Mic-In, Headphone, 5-in-1 Multi-card Reader (SD,SD Pro/XD/MMC/MS,MS Pro),
    HDMI, e-SATA/USB Combo Port

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    C4U is a long term owner where slightly higher hardware spec will let her have a laptop that can still considered usable four or five years from now. Giving her specs that will only be sufficient for the "now" will lead to her feeling it being slow sooner than later. Also the hardware spec of the laptop I recommended leaves little need for any immediate upgrades after purchase. For only a few thousand over her set budget, it might be a worthwhile spending on it now than needing a new laptop (upgrade) after a only couple of years.
    Depends on your perspective. I usually adopt a cash-strapped-buyer perspective, looking for the most bang-for-the-buck, since I view the extra few thousand pesos spent as an opportunity cost for something else with greater marginal utility. Of course, if C4U doesn't mind shelling out more, then by all means, get the most expensive one that makes her happy.

From my experience, with one of our i5 laptops, I turned of Turbo Boost for about a month. It didn't feel any different at all, even though my quantitative tests show a ~10% improvement in CPU intensive tasks such as video transcoding. This was with an Arrandale i5 though, definitely the Ivy Bridge i5s, with their higher boost rates, will have greater benefits when going from an i3 to an i5. That said, I still think that the difference is not big enough to reach the point wherein you'd be replacing your i3-powered laptop earlier than an i5-powered one, especially for someone who isn't a power user. But again, if budget is not an issue, then going for the faster one makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    GH, why do you recommend the G480 more than the Z470?
    The G480 is already running on a newer CPU architecture than the Z470 (Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge). Ivy Bridge CPUs are faster given the same clock speed than their Sandy Bridge counterparts. A 2.5 GHz Ivy will run 10% faster than a 2.5 GHz Sandy, ceteris paribus. Power draw is also slightly reduced, leading to marginally better battery life.

Aside from that, the only other major differences are the hard drive size (500 GB vs 750 GB), aesthetics, and the OS (Win8 vs Win7). Personally, I don't like using Windows 8 on a laptop that doesn't have a touch screen. It just feels so unintuitive. This is the reason why I'm still sticking to Windows 7 even though I have several Windows 8 licenses lying around.

It won't necessarily be worse to buy the Z470 than the G480 if 1) you prefer Windows 7, 2) if you need the extra 250 GB, or 3) it looks better. Just keep in mind that the tradeoff is a slightly inferior CPU.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    check mo din dito.. they offer up to 20% discount on some of their laptops..

Laptops

The Lenovo G480 is only Php29,999.00 there.

Lenovo Ideapad G480 MS DOS 14 Laptop (Brown) | Lazada
    Last edited by _Qwerty_; January 24th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    *jut703 Can I just say WOW on your explanation

What do you recommend that I purchase given my requirements (minimum 14 inch monitor, budget 30k range, lenovo or toshiba, available at Villman)

OT: Is that an Altis V on your avatar?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post

Laptops

Thanks is this an online selling only site?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    yes.. you can pay over the counter sa local banks.. and COD..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    GH, why do you recommend the

G480 vs Z470
    simple... I missed spotting the Z470 in the list. I thought it was with the laptops with i3 CPUs.

if we include the Z470. The Z470 is okay. But the G480 already has an upgraded CPU which is a touch faster and 4gb ram. The Z470 comes with 2gb ram. HDD difference of 500 vs 750 GB is not a deal breaker in my book since it can be upgraded later as compared to the system CPU.

I just cant take pink. Also if you plan to re-sell a pink laptop, it is practically impossible to sell.

BTW, here is something to consider about the G480's new cpu spec.

The performance of the Core i5-3210M should be slightly above a similarly clocked Sandy Bridge processor due to slight architectural improvements. As a result, overall performance should be similar to the old i7-2620M.
    source: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-C...r.74458.0.html
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 24th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post

Laptops

Wow... good deal!

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I just cant take pink. Also if you plan to re-sell a pink laptop, it is practically impossible to sell.
    This made me LOL. I don't plan to sell the laptop anyway. I plan to use it until it dies on me like my Toshiba.

But jut703's comment on the OS is also a concern for me. How are the OSs different? Our office is upgrading to Windows 7 so I am wondering why they did not choose Windows 8? Either Win 7 is better or cheaper than Win 8.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    I'm now having second thoughts about getting a Toshiba after reading the latest replies. The hinge of my Toshiba is also broken but it only happened after 5 years or so which is why it did not bother me at all.

I've heard good things about the lenovo but my office laptop's fan gave out sooner than my Toshiba.

Can anyone recommend other good laptops then?

Budget is 30k.
    Minimum 14 in screen
    Windows OS installed
    Should be available at Villman.
    Preferably Lenovo
    I suggest to get a lenovo thinkpad if you like to travel. They are really reliable. I saw one but it's 33k and there's no O.S. installed.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast