New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Naalala ko tuloy yung Toshiba laptop ng kakilala ko dati mga 3 yrs ago pa yun. Around 1 yr pa lang laptop nya may nasunog na. One day the laptop won't turn on. Nung binuksan, nasunog yung sa bandang bottom part ng LCD.

Sir jut is right, I think you should base sa specs na lang. Nagkalat ang laptops ngayon so madaling makahanap ng specs na para sayo. Kasi yung old Toshiba laptop mo may be reliable back then, pero ngayon ganyan pa rin kaya quality ng newer Toshibas?

And just to share we have 2 Acer notebooks (Aspire One). Very reliable, battery life is still good kahit one year mahigit na.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    This is stupid. Hindi porket ikaw lang gagamit nung OS eh ok lang na hindi na orig. A fake OS leaves you more vulnerable to security threats since you don't get to update it via Windows Update.

BTT:

Choosing only one brand severely limits your choices. To be frank, brand bias with laptops is pointless for me. They run similar hardware underneath, and that's where you're supposed to base your decisions. Aesthetics plays a factor though, but I wouldn't get a slow but pretty laptop over an unassuming but well-speced one.

The Asus X202e that has been brought up seems to be a good fit to your needs. As a casual user, the relatively low clock speed shouldn't be an issue for you. That's still plenty fast for internet browsing or office work.
    '
    Pirates nowadays are knowledgeable enough on ways to bypass Windows Update. And if you're that defensive when it comes to security threats, go for Linux. Best solution is still to surf safely -- don't go on clicking some unknown website being enticed by ****o :naughty2:

Everything else, good enough.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I'm now having second thoughts about getting a Toshiba after reading the latest replies. The hinge of my Toshiba is also broken but it only happened after 5 years or so which is why it did not bother me at all.

I've heard good things about the lenovo but my office laptop's fan gave out sooner than my Toshiba.

Can anyone recommend other good laptops then?

Budget is 30k.
    Minimum 14 in screen
    Windows OS installed
    Should be available at Villman.
    Preferably Lenovo

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    '
    Pirates nowadays are knowledgeable enough on ways to bypass Windows Update. And if you're that defensive when it comes to security threats, go for Linux. Best solution is still to surf safely -- don't go on clicking some unknown website being enticed by ****o :naughty2:

Everything else, good enough.
    The thing with pirated builds is that even if they may get away with them now, that may not be the case after a few months. Case in point, when Windows 7 first come out, the pirated builds were actually free to update like an original install would. A few months later, Windows released an update (KB971033) that specifically looks for Windows 7 activation cracks. Of course, one can opt not to install the update, but not everyone has the technical know-how to understand which update is which, and not everyone is wiling to bother.

I used pirated OSes back in the XP days. Criminal responsibilities aside, I prefer using original OSes now. I don't wanna go through the hassle of not knowing if I can still download this update or tool anymore.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    Lenovo ideapad Z470 Pink(5930-9952) with 2GB Graphics | VillMan Computers

Pero sa last one, dagdag ka lang ng 3k para sa OS
    Thanks I think the Z470 is a good model because GH recommended this model to me before. I'll check it out at the store. And I love that it's pink

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    If you plan to go "APPLE", your P40,000 budget is not enough to buy a new laptop, not even for the Apple Air.

-------------------

Alternative to the ASUS above....

You can try the LENOVO Z470. Lenovo ideapad Z470 Black(5906-9400) and Pink( 59071302) DOS with 2nd Generation Core i5 processor. | VillMan Computers

Priced at P36,000 with 2gb ram "free" making a total of 4gb ram. Have Windows 7 64bit installed and it should run smooth and fast.
    This is the specific unit that GH recommended but it's already phased out kasi. But it's also Z470
    Last edited by _Cathy_; January 24th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    At this point, I wouldn't waste my time with Intel Core I3 processor based laptops.

Lenovo G480 (59355877) - Core i5 with now with Windows8
    LINK: Lenovo G480 (59355877) DARK BROWN - Core i5 with now with w8! | VillMan Computers

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    At this point, I wouldn't waste my time with Intel Core I3 processor based laptops.

Lenovo G480 (59355877) - Core i5 with now with Windows8
    LINK: Lenovo G480 (59355877) DARK BROWN - Core i5 with now with w8! | VillMan Computers
    Why? Not everyone needs Turbo Boost, which is the only difference between an i3 and an i5, and this alone usually costs 5k more.

There's an i3-powered G480 that only costs 26k from Villman, though it doesn't have an OS which is pretty much a downer.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Why? Not everyone needs Turbo Boost, which is the only difference between an i3 and an i5, and this alone usually costs 5k more.

There's an i3-powered G480 that only costs 26k from Villman, though it doesn't have an OS which is pretty much a downer.

C4U is a long term owner where slightly higher hardware spec will let her have a laptop that can still considered usable four or five years from now. Giving her specs that will only be sufficient for the "now" will lead to her feeling it being slow sooner than later. Also the hardware spec of the laptop I recommended leaves little need for any immediate upgrades after purchase. For only a few thousand over her set budget, it might be a worthwhile spending on it now than needing a new laptop (upgrade) after a only couple of years.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 24th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    C4U is a long term owner where slightly higher hardware spec will let her have a laptop that can still considered usable four or five years from now. Giving her specs that will only be sufficient for the "now" will lead to her feeling it being slow sooner than later. Also the hardware spec of the laptop I recommended leaves little need for any immediate upgrades after purchase. For only a few thousand over her set budget, it might be a worthwhile spending on it now than needing a new laptop (upgrade) after a only couple of years.
    glad im not the only one, precisely why i recommended the higher spec'd unit in the first place (a few pages back). (edit: ok, maybe i didn't outline all my reason in my previous post.)
    Last edited by roninblade; January 24th, 2013 at 05:22 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast