New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    heh, the fact that it's not impregnable is not important, its the "nobody makes viruses for them" is. there's no such thing as impregnable systems anyway. there have been proof of concepts and there are a few virus/malware out in the wild but thats still a drop compared to the ocean of windows viruses.
    True that. I was just correcting the "One does not simply infect a Mac" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    baliktad lang ang mac sa ibang cheaper pcs. the macbooks offer better build quality for a limited choice in hardware specs. whereas MSI and other cheaper models offer a wider (higher specs) range of options but most of the parts (like the hinge not working in this thread) give out in less than a year. my old 206 macbook is still humming along nicely with it's Snow Leopard and i've even seen people on older, still looking good, G4 laptops when i was deployed onsite a couple of years ago.
    The older mac laptops, I've heard last pretty long.

The newer ones from the Intel Era. Good luck. Those are made to break (the Core Duo series was okay, but starting Core2. Bleh.), with each iteration with its fair share of problems. I've had friends go through several macbooks and imacs since then, with everything from dead logic boards, GPUs, CD Drives and bad screens. Looks like Apple is forcing its customers to avail of the AppleCare. Or else. Did I mention outrageous out-of-warranty repair prices? Through the roof on parts you cannot find anywhere else.

At least with a cheap PC, replacing it entirely is an option.

We do have old Pentium 4 and 3 laptops running though. Looks like a trend. New stuff = a lot more breakable.
    Last edited by mda; March 28th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Just wait until you see how much logic boards cost to replace on those 'perfect' macbooks.
    (Yes, common issues on Apple gear - because Apple designers have a bias towards aesthetics rather than practical things such as heat dissipation)

You'd wish yung hinge nalang yung nasira

And macs are FAR from being impregnable to viruses. It's just that nobody bothers to make viruses for them.
    If that will happen in 2 years time, then i won't be bothered because i'm fully secured by AppleCare
    And I also plan in upgrading/selling my macbook before its warranty expires.
    As with any gear, like cars, the more expensive it is the harder it is to maintain. But the pure satisfaction it brings us is all that matters

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
    If that will happen in 2 years time, then i won't be bothered because i'm fully secured by AppleCare
    And I also plan in upgrading/selling my macbook before its warranty expires.
    It's good you have enough cash to regularly replace your laptop every three years.

Like cars, I keep my computers and laptops (home / office) until they start showing signs of the need for impending maintenance. Tsaka lang ididispose.

Quote Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
    As with any gear, like cars, the more expensive it is the harder it is to maintain. But the pure satisfaction it brings us is all that matters
    True that. If you are willing and able to spend, then nobody can fault anyone else about how they spend their own money.
    Last edited by mda; March 28th, 2012 at 10:20 PM.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    True that. I was just correcting the "One does not simply infect a Mac" comment.

The older mac laptops, I've heard last pretty long.

The newer ones from the Intel Era. Good luck. Those are made to break (the Core Duo series was okay, but starting Core2. Bleh.), with each iteration with its fair share of problems. I've had friends go through several macbooks and imacs since then, with everything from dead logic boards, GPUs, CD Drives and bad screens. Looks like Apple is forcing its customers to avail of the AppleCare. Or else. Did I mention outrageous out-of-warranty repair prices? Through the roof on parts you cannot find anywhere else.

At least with a cheap PC, replacing it entirely is an option.

We do have old Pentium 4 and 3 laptops running though. Looks like a trend. New stuff = a lot more breakable.

my white ibook's still working fine as good as my old clamshell. my titanium powerbook fell flat on a concrete pavement and apart from a damaged cover and screen, and some few kinks here and there, remained pretty resilient. the dude who worked at the apple center makati happily exchanged it for a new ipod. of course i kept the hard drive. but re the core2duo related issues i've not encountered any so far on my macbook or air. i didn't even avail of the applecare. it's either i'm lucky or your friends are unlucky, but generally less of a headache than other brands.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Question:

After a laptop's battery is fully charged, is it okay to leave it plugged in the electrical socket? Or should I disconnect it from the power source?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    Question:

After a laptop's battery is fully charged, is it okay to leave it plugged in the electrical socket? Or should I disconnect it from the power source?

plug it with the battery even at fully charged. it will help preserved your laptop from sudden voltage fluctuations.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    Question:

If you tend to use your laptop often near an outlet, the general thought is to remove the battery while the laptop runs on AC power.

Personally, if the battery is full charged and you are not using it, I would prefer to unplug the laptop. BUT note that if you leave the laptop for days unplugged, the battery will slowly discharge because the laptop is still using some power from the battery. So if you are not using your laptop for a long time, best to disconnect the battery as well.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Up lang.

Budget nasa 40k. Deadline is actually tomorrow. Ano maganda ? So far Asus K-Series and Lenovo Z-Series palang nasa isip ko because of your suggestions.

Same purpose. Internet. Games (priority) & **** (2nd priority :D)

TIA.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Up lang.

Budget nasa 40k. Deadline is actually tomorrow. Ano maganda ? So far Asus K-Series and Lenovo Z-Series palang nasa isip ko because of your suggestions.

Same purpose. Internet. Games (priority) & **** (2nd priority :D)

TIA.
    You'll need to be specific on the final laptop you will choose because certain models of the Lenovo Z-series have Intel-3000 GPU while others have much faster GPUs. As for the Asus K-series seems to be equipped with all fast GPUs (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4860) which is great for current games.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    You'll need to be specific on the final laptop you will choose because certain models of the Lenovo Z-series have Intel-3000 GPU while others have much faster GPUs. As for the Asus K-series seems to be equipped with all fast GPUs (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4860) which is great for current games.
    Hmm. Ok will keep that in mind, GH. Thanks.

Um. Any specific Lenovo models that will suit my preferences ? TIA.

Ok sana Mac but di kasya sa budget and it's not for me actually. Hehehe. Kung akin yan, internet and **** lang yung priority. lol.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Laptop advice